Search results

1. F

What's Left In Speaker Design To Reduce Distortion/Increase Detail Retrieval?

w/t/f, this thread is about MattHooper's subjectivism (again!!) and you want to lead me out. Effing
  2. F

I was tempted to comment the 'Fast Car', held to be "Boy, nearly as good as white noise!", while I'm sorry for Tracy. She was hooked up in full fleshed falsehood. Fleeing American reality using its icon, the fast car despite common speed limit. Black sarcasm? If you've not got a sense for all...
  3. F

Guys, I really do not want to appear as notorious. I double check my writing against DeepL, and it seems to be o/k. My apologies if it is not. On the other hand, it is a wide arc from (a) sensorial detection of a 'signal' to (b) making some sense of it, the 'information'. ( I had communication...
  4. F

Speaker Lining

Credit where credit is due? Of course, what he says only shows how to *not* discuss such a thing. He strongly contradicts my (Black Hole 5) approach. Exactly, that's my point ;-) CL is notoriously difficult to manufacture, especially for an amateur 'first time'. The glueing is not easy to...
  5. F

Speaker Lining

Please let me refer to my posting #7. With constrained layer only the effect of panel vibration is reduced. With, as Dany puts it, barrier layer the root cause is reduced. Not the least, barrier layer is vastly less laborsome and remains functional over time. With constrained layer people are...
  6. F

Speaker Lining

Regarding my recommendation from above, this: https://www.speakercity.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=damping-bh5&Category_Code=damping it is only the two layers from below that make the effect I described. Additionally make sure that there is a path from the internal...
  7. F

Speaker Lining

I don't argue with any of the recommendations you may find in the internet. But I can tell you what I've found to be effective by design. One root cause for panel vibration is resonance of the air enclosed by the box. If you have some measurement instruments you may record the sound spectrum of...
  8. F

The figure named Matt Hooper is the zoologist in that very feature ("Yaws", 1975), depicted by Richard Dreyfuss ( the avatar of alias MattHooper).. No offense, the film is phantastic, a good choice for an alias, no irony. The film is very meticously made, full of details to be discovered at a...
  9. F

In your argumentation you obviously don't acknowledge my idea, that listening to something is some kind of a mental activity in contrast to automatic signal detection. In consequence you don't reflect my argumentation correctly. Followed by dismissing it as fallacy and explicating on that...
  10. F

As your alias clearly refers to the 70s movie "Yaws", which for sure is plain genius. What I'm after is that a) nobody expects a movie to be 'virtual reality', everybody accepts some effort to understand what is depicted b) some movies are worth to be seen more often c) only later one is able...
  11. F

Matt, I feel tempted to revisit the famous movie "Yaws". All the detail in constructing a threat from below, the huge water body unknown to air breathing entities, the very first 5 -- sorry the first 120, minutes are genious. I won't make fun of anyone, but I mean what I said. Please define...
  12. F

Alas, I cannot agree with this. Arguments were given above.
  13. F

Understood. Frankly spoken, I issue the notion on what a recording is quite often, because I can no more accept the attempt to check a speaker's quality in having it compared to a live session. But that may not affect you, neither my discomfort nor the comparison. The sampling you refer to...
  14. F

Help with deciding subwoofer design.

Another recommendation. Today we don't deal with vinyl warble anymore. You may get away with just setting a nice clean 20Hz / Q=0,5 equalization target and done. All will be controlled by room acoustics, especially pressurization anyway. I'm happy to experience like 9dB of a bass lift due to...
  15. F

Question regarding detail in contemporary photography: why is it that the reconstruction of the Bayer matrix pixels into an image is done using gradients and stuff like that, but not using neural networks of AI fame? Especially as the neural network resembles not 'brain' but the pre-processing...
  16. F

Yep, they advertize the product with 'pair of monitors to replicate the wide range of “bass-challenged” devices such as car' but also praising *a more smooth, open, and transparent driver ... ... ...'. Why not simulate less bass with an equalizer for the main monitors then? This basically isn't...
  17. F

O/k, I often asked when this argument was used again, what a crappy speaker is. It is kind of a tool for the engineer (?) but not well defined. In turn that would mean that no mix is as good as it could be if designed to be listened to using just the 'ideal'. And vice versa, what's the benefit...
  18. F

Capacitor question

If not broke don't fix ... Lifetime of caps is related to temperature, voltage and maybe current. Give the particular use case here I would expect a million of years out of your equipment. That said, I also understand your urge to plan for the future.
  19. F

Help with deciding subwoofer design.

Maybe it would be feasible to stuff the rockwool into lady's nylons. But would you do that practically? The fine dust of common consruction rockwool is the pest. Gardening grade, still better not. I dismissed it, despite its excellent action against resonances, when those modern 'open' drivers...
  20. F

Plus what you say about intermodulation from amplitude or Doppler distortion. The common man won't effortlessly get what he cannot accept. I gave up. Recording is an artform in itself with so many decisions taken in every aspect, of whom each would make it 'sound' completely differnt. Which is...
Top Bottom