Search results

1. Mat

Apple Music LosslessSwitcher app for Mac

I'm still hoping he implements my suggestion for an option to default to 44.1k for local files
  2. Mat

LSS works with Apple Music streams but not local files
  3. Mat

Bluesound Node Review (Streamer)

Thanks. The ASR review mentioned issues such as jitter and sub-CD performance, but wasnt sure if these were flaws to be concerned about or a downgrade from the Wiim, which measures great.
  4. Mat

Bluesound Node Review (Streamer)

Quick question because I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed between reviews and comment reading but... I'm looking to replace my Wiim with another Airplay streamer, using my own DACs. Is the digital-only performance on the Bluesound Node / 2i ok? Or does it suck? (ASR reviews lean pretty negative) And...
  5. Mat

"Passion for Sound" says they got meaningful differences between different USB cables- I want to try to reproduce but want feedback on approach

wow, didn't expect a full video on the topic wow, didnt expect a fringe topic like this to have an entire video The video summed things up quick.
  6. Mat

"Passion for Sound" says they got meaningful differences between different USB cables- I want to try to reproduce but want feedback on approach

After doing a USB cable review video he's now arguing that USB is actually an analog signal, that the 'square waves' of digital information aren't ever perfect enough, and has unearthed 'studies' to objectively prove that $400 USB cables greatly improve the listening experience re: I guess...
  7. Mat

Yamaha A-1 Vintage Amplifier Review

Maybe the high gain design is because it relies on the volume/trim to make it compatible with other impedances? Personally I like to have the the HP volume high, around 7-8, and knock down the overall volume with the main volume. Just the result of trial and error until I was happy. It's...
  8. Mat

Can't comment on why it's better than the 80s stuff outside of build quality, but I did buy one and recently recapped it while cleaning some other stuff up so far (havent done the big caps yet). That said, it absolutely sings now vs. when I first picked it up. Some thoughts... I'm not sure the...
  9. Mat

I was thinking of getting one of these as an amp for my turntable and maybe later pairing it with a dedicated power amp down the road (and just using it for the phono/pre), but then saw this 1 page back Is this bad? Not a real pre-out? Does this mean I should only use it as an integrated?
  10. Mat

Review and Measurements of SMSL VMV D1 DAC

the remote *works* but a press may not register maybe 1 in 10 times, found it wasnt just volume but just cycling Function sometimes I'd have to hit it again. The "doing the opposite" for volume is rarer but scares me a little. Hard for me to say since I just joined the VMV party and I really...
  11. Mat

Review and Measurements of SMSL VMV D1 DAC

So I have one of these now and have noticed two quirks 1. The remote doesn't always work correctly. Sometimes button presses don't register (specifically volume) and other times they can even double-tap or go the reverse at random. It happens often enough that I need to be careful to go 1 step...
  12. Mat

Async clock mode or Sync for SPDIF?

Isn't it kind of ironic then that async struggles fails to lock onto jittery sources? It sounds good, though, just hard to wrap my head around in practical terms ("If it's jittery use sync, if it's not jittery then use async to get lower jitter")
  13. Mat

Topping E70 randomly went to MAX volume..

Passive attenuation can compromise quality / frequency response as well. I'd go with digital first and only experiment downstream if that loss of bits is noticeable or your amp is too hot, and for some reason the volume pot itself isn't an option
  14. Mat

Normally, yeah for sure. Just in this case I was swapping some components around and for the one where both modes worked, was curious which was the better default A lot of this terminology is going over my head though, so I guess....sync is best? heh
  15. Mat

Or maybe I should have named this thread "fixed vs DIR block" clock, but my question is which is the technically superior option to select? On my SMSL D1, there are options for Async ("Master Clock fixed to 100Mhz") and Sync ("Master Clock comes from the DIR block" on the dac chip). With one...
  16. Mat

if you're listening to an album, its gapless and fine if you're listening to your library on shuffle and the tracks are bouncing from 44.1 to 96k, there will be interruptions to change bitrate (just as there would be if you were manually changing it the second a track ended)
  17. Mat

Eversolo DMP-A6 Streamer Review

Can someone explain how the "hi res apple music" part works?
  18. Mat

Does a jittery stream affect quality if reclocked?

I want to try one of those out but it's a bit too crazy expensive for me right now. One of the reasons I wanted to determine the perceived difference between a good and bad measuring streamer, before biting the bullet on 'the best' on paper at some point
  19. Mat

well when asking about sound quality i thought it implied i meant sound you can hear
  20. Mat

yes, like i said it sounds and functions perfectly fine after being reclocked Yeah this is the problem I've gotten into, so many threads and youtube videos describing what jitter sounds like or how it affects sound that I'm not sure if I'm hearing the results of jitter or its just in my head...
Top Bottom