Search results

1. R

Is there a $100 USB DAC+amp that sounds better than a $10 Apple DAC + $90 amp?

Once again, it wasn’t a comparison. It was clarifying your 120 mW without an impedance level so that people understand the context of that number by including the appropriate impedance level, as well as what the power level would be given other impedance levels. For reference, your dongle puts...
  2. R

It’s not meant to be fair or unfair, it just is, based on the voltage each dongle / amp can provide. It was meant to clarify 120 mW into a low impedance load but much less into a higher impedance one.
  3. R

Review and Measurements of Massdrop Alex Cavalli Tube Hybrid (CTH) and JDS O2 Headphone Amps

Do you remember what the gains were in the O2 that you purchased? Was it 2.5x and 6.5x or was it 1x and 3.5x?
  4. R

120 mW in a 32 ohm load, on the 300 ohm headphones that I use with the O2, that would be 13 mW theoretical. For reference, the O2 puts out about 110 mW real world into a 300 ohm load, and my custom O2 puts out 40 mW theoretical into a 300W. Ostensibly there are some dongles that will put out...
  5. R

Sennheiser HD800S Review (Headphone)

I just realized I have a custom underpowered O2, so I have less power than a KA3, approximately 40 mW, so that's egg on my face. My gain is unity and 3.5x, and the JDS O2 stock gains are 2.5x and 6.5x. Loudness wouldn't be determined by voltage would it? It would be determined by relative dB...
  6. R

I basically use your case, Apple USB-C dongle + JDS O2 amp. My 1x gain, 3.5x setup is actually underpowered compared to the stock 2.5x, 6.5x setup.
  7. R

Topping A70 Pro HP & Preamp Review

I'm trying to understand the 9.95 and the 20.27 numbers in these formulas, where do they come from?
  8. R

How is max volume on the KA3 with the HD800S? Even balanced, you're getting about half the power of the O2, so immediate concerns that pop up in my head is headroom after EQ, and more specifically, negative pre-amp.
  9. R

Literally my setup. Laptop -> USB-C Female to USB-A Adapter -> USB-C Apple Dongle -> JDS O2 Amp -> HD800S. My electronics are 1/10th (around $120) the amount of my headphone, which honestly, is about how much you should look to spend on less important parts of your chain, the headphone being...
  10. R

What is wrong with the HD800S? Needs EQ? Some Say Yes Others No

HD800S responds very well to EQ, it's one of its strengths. If I want to hear amazing soundstage, I turn off EQ. If I want to hear more intimate and bassy tunes, I EQ it to Harman with an added bass shelf and treble peak.
  11. R

One Box DAC / Amp/ Audio Interface for HD800s?

I use the Apple DAC + JDS O2 Amp for my HD800S. I think my electronics is about $120 total? I probably can't hear a difference between that and the balanced D70/A70 Stack.
  12. R

Topping A70 Pro HP & Preamp Review

https://www.tpdz.net/productinfo/1009982.html The chart implies the same amount of power if you use SE in or BAL in. I assume you'd need to get 4V in to get that sort of power, so how does one get 4V in with an SE DAC? Are you saying that you'd get the max power at an earlier volume position...
  13. R

Best budget DAC/amp Dongle?

USB-C female to USB-A / USB-B / variations male
  14. R

Review: Apple vs Google USB-C Headphone Adapters

I don’t think Lightning has an analog pins, but I could be wrong.
  15. R

FYI: Most people might not care but legacy adapters are completely out of spec with USB-C specifications. In fact, the specs expressly prohibit adapters with a legacy male end and a USB-C female receptacle. That being said, these C-to-A adapters probably won’t set fire to your devices, but they...
  16. R

I used a startech USB-A hub with USB-C port to give a USB-C port to my old laptop. Unfortunately, the hub itself is more than your budget.
  17. R

I’m happily using an Apple USB-C dongle plugged into a startech USB-A hub with USB-C port plugged into an old laptop. The dongle is plugged into an O2 Amp for some extra juice.
  18. R

What do you connect the dongle to, an iPhone? If so, it’s a DAC.
  19. R

The Apple Dongle has a ADC? Hmm, I guess that’s how it would support a mic in.
Top Bottom