Search results

1. S

Can a headphone amp drive a very small speaker?

I like to check mixes on my mobile phone but this usually involves exporting audio, transferring the audio file to my phone, locating the file on the phone, and finally playing it—not a very efficient workflow. I have an old phone lying around and I thought I could just crack it open, disconnect...
  2. S

Has anybody made DIY active bass traps using cheap subwoofers?

I'm sure you are all familiar with PSI AVAA (active bass traps). Wouldn't it be possible to just hook up a microphone to the input of an active subwoofer with the phase reversed and careful placement to produce the same results for a fraction of the price? I wonder if anyone has attempted this.
  3. S

Connecting unbalanced source to balanced input using balanced cable & noise rejection

I need a 1U rack-mount mixer in my studio and I'm considering the BEHRINGER RX1602 V2, which is perfect for my needs but there is a slight snag: it has unbalanced outputs. However, the audio interface that it would be connected to (RME UCX II) has balanced inputs, so does that even matter? My...
  4. S

Why do audio interfaces run so hot? (i.e. which component causes the heat?)

Per the title, I've had many audio interfaces over the years, some ran nice and cool while others got pretty toasty, even while idling. For example, my RME BabyFace Pro barely gets warm, but my RME UCX II gets hot even with minimal onboard DSP resources in use. My former Fireface 400 could get...
  5. S

What are the physical differences between AES/EBU and microphone cable?

I'm looking at an unknown cable which is advertised as "DMX512" but the cable specs doesn't mention the cable's characteristic impedance. Is there any way to visually tell AES cable from microphone cable? Put another way, how are they physically different? The screening is usually better in AES...
  6. S

Are gold-plated TRS plugs a waste of money if...

I know this is an old and settled debate but bear with me. I need to make a bunch of analogue audio cables using Neutrik connectors. Gold offers better corrosion resistance but is soft and wears quickly, so the general rule is to use gold-plated connectors for permanent connections and...
  7. S

Moving vs fixed phase plug for sealed-cabinet mix cubes?

I want to build a pair of mix cubes (like Auratones but on a budget). I bought a pair of Visaton B 100 drivers. I just received them and I've noticed the phase plug is actually fixed, that is, the cone slides over it which means there is a small but definite gap between the two. Now, the whole...
  8. S

Genelec The Ones woofer creases/tearing mystery solved

I started a bit of a rant on this other thread and eventually got blocked by the mods, so I'm posting a new thread just to clear the air, because Genelec were kind enough to email me close-up pics of the race track woofers to prove they all look like that and it's perfectly normal. They also...
Top Bottom