Search results

1. S

Can a headphone amp drive a very small speaker?

I'm going to try the Oontz + EQ first. Ideally I want to avoid relying on server-client systems or Bluetooth because for me the point of a wired mix cube is to be able to switch in and out quickly and to have near-zero latency.
  2. S

I can look into that but again it sort of challenges the "flick of a switch" workflow which I was looking for. I have ordered an Oontz Solo Bluetooth speaker which has Line In so. All things considered, that might be the best compromise and I'd just ditch the phone idea altogether. I can apply...
  3. S

Ah I didn't realise there was signal processing going on in between, but it makes sense. In that case I think I will look into some kind of Bluetooth transmitter I can hook up to my headphone amp outputs and pair my phone to that, but I don't know if such a device exists.
  4. S

Mainly because ATM I don't have any more outputs left on my audio interface. Since I have the headphone distribution amp hooked up and I'm only using two of its four outputs, I thought I could just use one of the unused outputs thereby keeping my set-up simple whilst still having a knob to...
  5. S

I like to check mixes on my mobile phone but this usually involves exporting audio, transferring the audio file to my phone, locating the file on the phone, and finally playing it—not a very efficient workflow. I have an old phone lying around and I thought I could just crack it open, disconnect...
  6. S

Has anybody made DIY active bass traps using cheap subwoofers?

My guess is that you can put it anywhere you like, but you want to put it where it's most effective. If you put it on a spot where max air pressure is half the max air pressure in the room, then you are only going to get 50% efficiency.
  7. S

Nice! If you give it a go let us know. I think the servo part probably just makes the system more responsive? TBH I don't know what difference it makes, since the whole system is a feedback loop going through the microphone anyway. Perhaps the servo feedback loop tightens things a little more...
  8. S

Intersting read. It says on p. 13: So it's not just a speaker connected to an amp, but there is an internal feedback loop that monitors how the membrane moves in and out and ensures it keeps up i.e. a servo subwoofer.
  9. S

There was one thing I found intriguing about the PSI Audio product, which is that it only uses 70 W of power, which seems like... not much, considering most subwoofers take a lot more juice (my two 7360A's combined have a peak power consumption of 600 W!). Perhaps you don't need that much power...
  10. S

I'd love to but I don't have a sealed subwoofer. I was hoping someone might have attempted this already, or perhaps someone reading this who has the necessary bits could give it a shot. I'm planning a studio build and after plugging values into the porous absorber calculator I began to realise...
  11. S

Actually, I think the trick might just be precisely not to try to optimise anything for the listening position. The active bass trap just monitors air pressure locally and does the exact opposite so that the sum is always equal to atmospheric pressure. It's a basic negative feedback loop: when...
  12. S

The PSI Audio one has no DSP. Besides, I don't think delay is needed. The device is supposed to cancel out air pressure at the very location it sits, not at the listening position. This is why it needs no adjustments—you just shove it in a corner and it does its thing. If any delay is needed at...
  13. S

Something like that although I think it just reverses the polarity (shifting the phase affects different frequencies differently). It doesn't even have DSP so it has to be very simple. I think the key is the fact that it uses a sealed cabinet. If it was ported, it would be less effective at...
  14. S

The PSA AVAA doesn't need any calibration and doesn't have any inputs or even DSP (it's 100% analogue), which makes me think it can't be that difficult.
  15. S

I'm sure you are all familiar with PSI AVAA (active bass traps). Wouldn't it be possible to just hook up a microphone to the input of an active subwoofer with the phase reversed and careful placement to produce the same results for a fraction of the price? I wonder if anyone has attempted this.
  16. S

Behringer DEQ2496 Ultracurve Pro DSP Review

RME have recently added a Room EQ feature that basically does exactly what I was planning to use the DEQ for, so I won't need the DEQ anymore and I am cancelling my order. This is excellent news as it allows me to keep my setup minimal.
  17. S

New (2021) RME Fireface UCX II

That's sick!!! I ordered a Behringer DEQ2496 more than a year ago specifically for implementing room EQ, but it is on back order everywhere. I hadn't given up on my order but with this new feature right on my RME interface I no longer need the DEQ2496 and I am cancelling my order. Nice one RME!
  18. S

Behringer DEQ2496 Ultracurve Pro DSP Review

Yes you can do that, that's exactly how I was planning to use it. You would get the equalised audio on the Main outs and in the routing section you would set the Aux out to tap the signal before the EQ module, so you'd get the unequalised signal. Of course, a proper crossover usually low-passes...
Top Bottom