Search results

1. J

Audio Note speakers

Just like in Scientology, Audio Note has created a theoretical system of levels that is claimed to be based on increased level in sophistication. The sales message is clear: Pay us more and You gain higher level of sophistication, and consequently, higher esteem in Your peer group. If You want...
  2. J

Passive Preamps - Transformers

I'd say that with today's technology, smart money goes to op-amp based preamplification plus class-D power amplification.
  3. J

When does it make sense to place preamp between components?

I'm not familiar with the said Arcam and Teac units, but if everything else - speakers, speaker placement, room acoustics, listening position - remained absolutely same, there should be no significant change in "soundstage", or "imaging", unless we understand the meaning of those words...
  4. J

Stereophile and Audio Cables

I think that would be futile, because subjectivist audiophiles do not care what science, or measurements, say about the audibility of cables. They firmly believe that they hear the differences no matter what, and as far as I can see, the only way to possibly make them change their minds is to...
  5. J

Stereophile and Audio Cables

If I understood correctly, JA did not claim that his "six points" do absolutely mean that cables create audible differences, just that there might be a case where they do that, and that the differences, even if they existed, would be very small. I think the best way to proof /refute the...
  6. J

what are your industrial design favorites?

Sure, but Volvo Group - a Swedish corporation listed in Stockholm stock exchange and gathering industrial market, as You mentioned, and Volvo Cars - also listed in Stockholm stock exchange, but stock majority owned by Geely from China, are two separate companies. They parted ways in 1990s when...
  7. J

what are your industrial design favorites?

Your characterization of Volvo is somewhat misleading. While it is owned by the Chinese nowadays, the cars are still designed and developed in Sweden, and most of them are still manufactured in Sweden. Volvo's Chinese manufacturing plants build the (Swedish designed and developed) Volvos sold in...
  8. J

Most beautiful speakers in the world ?

Reminds me of these: Hopia Audio 15 presented at Helsinki HiFi Expo 2023.
  9. J

Audio Note speakers

Apparently Audio Note has borrowed their business model from Scientology. Victims of the scam are constantly encouraged to pay more to achieve the next level.
  10. J

HiFi Technology Flatlined Last Century

My prediction is that analogue electronics has already reached its peak when it comes to audible performance of HiFi equipment. Ditto for A/D and D/A converters. There may be room for improvements in price/performance relationship, user friendliness etc..., but any performance improvements...
  11. J

Analog sound - in a digital world?

There is no such thing as "digital sound". What humans perceive as sound is an acoustic analog wave.
  12. J

does anyone listen to Taylor Swift? tell me what the draw is

I'm not a native English speaker, so some finer points of language may escape me, but I don't think exaggerated expressions of disgust are the same thing as expressing indifference. Also, I think there is a difference in calling a certain behavior juvenile and calling a person juvenile.
  13. J

does anyone listen to Taylor Swift? tell me what the draw is

As a 60+ years old guy, I'm obviously not in the target group of Taylor Swift's music, and it has no special draw to me, but it appears to be rather well produced pop music. I think the ultra derisive behavior of some posters is more juvenile than her fan base.
  14. J

If all speakers measure flat, what is the point of auditioning?

In a perfect world, One should always listen the speakers in one's own room before the purchase, but in practice, this is often simply not possible. In these cases, having access to properly done measurements and understanding what their results mean in practice at least gives a reasonable basis...
  15. J

Is it audiophoolia to care about SINAD differences which have no correlation in blind listening tests? H2/H3 distortion 'enriches the sound'?

I would not call SOTA SINAD chasing audiophoolia, as I think there is a difference. Imho, an audiophool is like a person who believes in homeopatia, astrologia etc..., whereas a SINAD-zealot is like a person who has such a fixation on impurities, that he demands to live in a ISO 14644-1 Class 1...
  16. J

Why not use effects to get the sound of vinyl?

- OP: Why not use effects to get the sound of vinyl? - Me: Why not use IT to get the sound of modern digital players? As we have read often on this forum, a big part of the charm of vinyl record playing is the interaction with the vinyl player: Taking the record from it's sleeve, putting it on...
  17. J

What makes big speakers sound "big"and smaller ones sound "small"?

I'm not aware of any scientifically valid test that would prove that a physically bigger speaker "sounds bigger" than a physically smaller speaker. As far as I can see, all evidence presented to support such claim is anecdotal and based on sighted comparison, and therefore prone to preconception...
  18. J

What's your normal listening distance and db level at that distance at home?

In my living room: avg 65-70 dB with peaks around 80-85 dB. Distance approx. 3 m. In my office room: same sound level. Distance approx. 1.2 m.
  19. J

Extreme Snake Oil

At the moment, the certification is still pending due to some unfortunate circumstances. Initially, our measurements seemed to suggest that the torsion field reflected from the floor would play a significant role in the total cumulative field strength, and therefore our first solution - Torsion...
  20. J

Extreme Snake Oil

I urge extreme caution with the usage of Extender Torsion Field Generator! The design does not take into account the effect of torsion fields reflected by the listening room walls. Scientific measurements made by professor Kusetus show that the generated total torsion field effect can be strong...
Top Bottom