Search results

1. anmpr1

Proposal: Right to Fair Review (RFR) Association

Look, I know I'm not the one being harassed by Speaker Guy, but given the First Amendment, is this really necessary? I mean, anyone can send bullying letters. But is anyone obligated to respond? [Pro Tip: If you create an association, make sure the logo doesn't look at all like a Gibson...
  2. anmpr1

Horns sound this way? Ribbons sound that way?

What I meant. Thanks for clarifying.
  3. anmpr1

'Bev' was representative of a handful of audio designers. Folks developing an interesting idea over the course of their audio hobby lifetime (often audio wasn't their 'day' job)-- ideas that defied any relationship to the practical limitations and demands of consumer audio. Off the top of my...
  4. anmpr1

The madness is in the method. I recall vividly (although it's been decades) Harold Beverdige's ESL, a floor to ceiling (pretty much) coffin encasing a long narrow electrostatic panel loaded into a 180 degree lens with the back wave damped. You had both a pretty uniform horizontal and vertical...
  5. anmpr1

Electrostatic speakers?

It is probably better to say that although the microphone does not lie, you prefer a certain type of sound that might not be considered textbook 'ideal'. Is there anything wrong with your preference? I don't think so. I'm reminded of Richard Heyser (really the first reviewer I recall that...
  6. anmpr1

Legal fund for Reviewers/Erin?

As others have no doubt replied in this longish thread, Bose was in fact not successful in their action against Consumer Union. The court ruled that a reviewer's words had to be both false and written with malice before the company could be awarded relief. Malice was not demonstrated and the...
  7. anmpr1

Electrostatic speakers?

That certainly speaks for the manufacturer's QC, and their commitment to long term service. However from a practical standpoint it's all uncertain. Acoustat panels had a 'lifetime of the product' warranty (as did some ReVox open reel tape decks--sans heads and belts). '70s JBL monitors came...
  8. anmpr1

End of an era - Lyric Hi-FI closing after 60+ years

Even more what? Arrogance? Ability to demo gear at your no longer storefront? Ability to spell and punctuate? What a strange little post. In any case, best wishes for your continued soon to be success.
  9. anmpr1

Legal fund for Reviewers/Erin?

I didn't go through all the comments, here, so maybe it's been answered. But I'd give some dollars. I don't know the law, but as long as it's not libel and you didn't sign an agreement not to disclose your thoughts, how can you be threatened? In 'guitar land' I've heard of manufacturers...
  10. anmpr1

“The Sensible Sound” magazine the ASR forum of pre-internet days?

The more I reflect, the more I'm convinced that loudspeaker selection remains subjective in the final analysis. It's what you like, what you can afford, and what trade offs you don't mind. Possibly what your wife will put up with. Howard Ferstler was one of the Sensible Sound reviewers (S$S...
  11. anmpr1

“The Sensible Sound” magazine the ASR forum of pre-internet days?

If it has not been linked before, clicking below will take anyone interested to some Sensible Sound issues. Text only. For some reason the link says 'access blocked', but it should work. https://www.thefreelibrary.com/Sensible+Sound-p2243
  12. anmpr1

FIDE Candidates 2024

I was thinking it was political, a subject I totally avoid. Other than to admit to backing Cthulhu. But if we're playing chess, I think the stakes should be high:
  13. anmpr1

Audio Critic--Complete Archive

That was care of Scott Wurcer, recently deceased. ASR member. https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/rip-member-scott-wurcer.53302/
  14. anmpr1

Fun with vinyl measurements

The unipivot should minimize friction at the expense of torsional rigidity. Given modern bearings, whether residual friction is worth the effort is anyone's guess. I have a Mayware Formula 4 unipivot I haven't really done anything with--very wonky. Not as wonky as the old Keith Monks uni...
  15. anmpr1

Fun with vinyl measurements

If you mean 'E', linear offset, the horizontal (up and down) bearing should be parallel to the cartridge offset, otherwise as the tonearm rises (with record warps) the stylus in the groove will rise upwards in an arc, displacing the diamond's tangency within the groove. This is said to create...
  16. anmpr1

What is the point of CD rips?

This may have been discussed in the thread, but to the consumer selling point is not necessarily related to the type of media. I sometimes download from an outfit called Presto Music. They have pretty good sales, however usually physical media (CD) is cheaper than the download. Why this...
  17. anmpr1

Audio Critic--Complete Archive

It's been highlighted here before, but at World Radio History we find a dozen or so (mostly complete) back issues from numerous consumer audio mags. WRH offered a handful of the original Stereophile (Gordon Holt, his wife, and maybe one or two other contributors), but the current owner demanded...
  18. anmpr1

Stop YouTube ads once and for all

What is the reason for ad blockers? It is because ads became so intrusive. To the point of taking over your PC (automated videos with soundtracks, flashing 'in your face' distractions, one after another with no end. Often totally obnoxious. Most people probably wouldn't mind one or two short...
  19. anmpr1

3-Body Problem

To compare, one can check out the 3 Body series produced by Tencent probably a year or so ago. It's likely available on one of the streaming services, if you search around. What was IMO interesting about the Chinese sourced version is that it is one of the few mainland shows I've viewed that...
  20. anmpr1

Daniel Htz. Only ones that understand digital vs analog?

His first product, the LNP-2, had a lot of features, as did his Cello front end. Most of the MLAS stuff was minimalist, highlighted by the ML-6a which had a gain control and a two inputs..., and you needed two for stereo. I guess it just depended upon Mark's mood at the time, and what he...
Top Bottom