Search results

1. Webninja

Thomann embargo for some brands in the US?

I got my Neumanns from Sweetwater, but I’ve ordered stands and brackets from Thomann.
  2. Webninja

Amp for B&W 803 D4 - upgrade Emotiva XPA-3 Gen 1 to Mcintosh, Purify or Hypex Ncx500 or Nilai

I’d get the Umik to get some idea of what’s going on in your room. It can help you position your sub. I also found it very useful to measure what Audyssey is doing, a post room correction measurement. Good advice on more than one sub, which will even out the bass response throughout the room.
  3. Webninja

Amp for B&W 803 D4 - upgrade Emotiva XPA-3 Gen 1 to Mcintosh, Purify or Hypex Ncx500 or Nilai

What’s your goal? What will a new amp help you solve? Maybe start with measuring (REW), or since it sounds good to you, just enjoy.
  4. Webninja

Bookshelf speakers for metal

Search for speaker measurements that fit your size and budget. We have a great filterable list. A good pair of speakers will do well regardless of the genre. Of course, a sub or two down the road will give you more volume at a fuller range, which is great for all music, metal included. They...
  5. Webninja

Starting From Scratch

If it’s not too late, any in wall wiring might be good to do. More for HT, but I’d want as little XLR/speaker cables visible. For subs, the only downside to ported is the size. I’ve got 3 Monoprice ported subs, but they are chunky.
  6. Webninja

Blind test rig to compare DACs

What is the goal of the test? In other words, what is your hypothesis that you are trying to prove? Seems like there are enough measurements on DAC transparency across brands and price ranges. Curious what you are aiming for.
  7. Webninja

Why the fuss with subwoofer specs and brands?

I should have said movies and shows. The Sandman on Netflix has some ominous low frequency rumbles that’s really add tension. The latest Bond has a scene where he visits a tomb in Italy and it goes from oh so quiet to a startling make you jump all courtesy of a powerful sub. Almost every...
  8. Webninja

Why the fuss with subwoofer specs and brands?

For music only, stereo, depending on genre and your main speakers you might not need a sub. For movies, it’s a must have. I mistakenly did the order of my upgrades incorrectly and bought the AVR then external amps for my 7.4 system. So no subs, for almost 2 years. I added 2 Monoprice 10”...
  9. Webninja

How to remotely control my iPad for playing (Hi-Res) Lossless music

I can check my settings, but via Homekit, I can control an AppleTV and select the Apple Music app and play music through my Denon AVR. I’m not casting or using Airplay, rather finding the AppleTV in Homekit and using my phone as a remote. That being said, I don’t think I’m getting any better...
  10. Webninja

How to remotely control my iPad for playing (Hi-Res) Lossless music

What about Siri? I use Siri to verbally play music on an Apple TV. I haven’t tried, but maybe you can say hey Siri play Metallica Master of Puppets on iPad (whatever your iPad is named).
  11. Webninja

Measurements that affect vocal clarity

If you can fit it, having the exact same speakers in the center as L and R would be ideal. For me, it didn’t work with my setup, but I did get the Revel 426, and it is an excellent center. For those poorly mixed movies, I just boost the center via the AVR. Adding 2-4 db usually solves any hard...
  12. Webninja

What is the quietest you can watch a movie and not need subtitles?

For dialog, it often depends on the mix. There are sone shows/movies that just seem to not have a lot going through the center channel. I voted based on a well mixed program, newer content.
  13. Webninja

Help me to upgrade my audio system

Some active monitors have a hiss that is audible when the monitor is on, but no music is playing or during quiet passages in music. The JBL 305s do, I have them, can hear the hiss, don’t notice it though. Others have had to return/sell them because it was more obvious. Seems like the Kali do...
  14. Webninja

Those Kali LP6 v2 are at $300 for the pair at Sweetwater. I was going to recommend the JBL 305 mkii, but I think the Kali is a better deal, especially since you don’t get the hiss.
  15. Webninja

Budget? Lots of great active speakers to choose from, but best to recommend those that fit your budget.
  16. Webninja

80's jewels

The Cure - A Forest 1980
  17. Webninja

Are my bass traps reasonable or am i doing something wrong?

How did you build those traps? From the little I have researched, you can’t just use any foam
  18. Webninja

To Atmos or not

I have a 7.4 system and did the 4 in ceiling Atmos before getting the subs. In terms of priority and overall impact, subs. Don’t get my wrong, Atmos for movies and music that are mixed properly is satisfying, but subtle. Adding subs about a year after the Atmos was night and day. (I have...
  19. Webninja

Protecting, not conditioning

I have UPS’s for all my systems, PC and audio. I have power outages a dozen times per year, and the UPS will keep everything running for about 3-5 min. If the outage is longer I can shut down the systems properly (UPS will beep as the battery power starts to end). If shorter, then just stay on...
Top Bottom