Search results

1. L5730

Clipping distortion (multiple 0 dBFS samples) on commercial releases, why?

Hi all, This may or may not have been covered elsewhere but it didn't come up when I searched. Pre-waffle: After getting some IEMs a lot of audio nasties have become extremely apparent. The unforgiving nature of such listening equipment means there is no where for 'garbage' to hide and no...
  2. L5730

MM Turntable into 1Meg Ohm DI, it works-ish!

Hi all, I thought it might be useful to post this for anyone else wanting to 'have a go' and not finding any useful information online, or rather lots of "don't do it" messages. I hooked up the old NAD 5120 with Ortofom OMB (?) MM cart to the RME Babyface Pro fs analogue 3/4 inputs. These...
  3. L5730

(Dance The Night: Dua Lipa) left channel digital ticks/clicks?

Absolute banger of a tune and a fun, bright, sparkly and pink movie with a message that proved too provocative for some, was missed by others and was high-fived by others. Sounds to me like some digital editing wasn't quite fixed - a note for engineers to not just listen on monitors but check...
  4. L5730

Spotify Free on Firefox and Linux (Mint XFCE), skipping tracks, generally borked.

Hi all, Anyone having issues with Spotify free in a browser? It was working fine in FF on the HP 15" Linux laptop and we were listening to some tunes via the Topping D10 DAC, but now it's just being unusable. I did fire up Google Chrome also installed on same Linux machine and it seemed OK, not...
  5. L5730

Why not more USB-3+ power for HP amp section?

Hi all, It seems that USB 2.0 spec. of 500mA current limits the possibility for a DAC/HP amp combi unit to output more power into low impendence headphones. Any one know a reason why devices aren't taking advantage of the USB-3+ specifications or USB-C where higher currents can be drawn? I...
  6. L5730

Superlux HD681B (and F) - why no measurements?

Looking around the internet for some hours and I just cannot find anyone measuring the B 'balanced' version of the HD681, nor the F 'front row' variant. Seeing the various mods to the 681, would it make sense to go for the -B variant in the first instance? It would be interesting to see what...
  7. L5730

Another BS product? (CD edge shaver) - duplicate thread. plz delete.

Techmoan has quite an interesting channel. This showed up. Ain't it funny how the supposed improvements are always "sharper", "cleaner", "smoother" and other sortof wishy-washy terms akin to user observed bias. I couldn't help but spit out my cola when I started watching this video. Someone...
  8. L5730

Anyone tested the Amazon Basics DAC?

Hi all, and a happy new year to you! Our TV doesn't have analogue audio output and I was considering picking up this dirt cheap little DAC to convert optical to RCA unbalanced line out, powering it using a USB port on the TV. Has anyone tried this device or measured it? For it's price, one...
  9. L5730

Is the lowest cost stereo USB ADC still the Behringer UCA202?

For a project that doesn't require the nth degree of high purity audio, we were hunting for cheap USB 'soundcards'. Unfortunately, after really looking into the swathe of C-Media chip based devices, it seems they all offer a mono mic input, not stereo line. We're talking about those little...
  10. L5730

So, I want to build an internet radio...

We've an old Roberts FM/AM/MW radio that sounds a bit naff, but better than most other small radios at the time. It's starting to fail in places and we're looking for it's replacement. The family are thinking a DAB+ radio might be a better option this time, as there is such a poor selection on...
  11. L5730

A screen display with tubes/valves on it?

Has there ever been an audio product with a screen with enough resolution to show reasonable images, and the designer having it actually show an image of tubes? I'm thinking, that if a customer of such a product squinted hard enough it could like an analogue unit, despite it having a frickin'...
  12. L5730

Anyone ever disassemble a Neutrik NA2MPMF adaptor?

Hi folks, an odd question... This sucker seems like it's welded shut, but I wonder if there is some way to open it up that I am missing. It looks like this, but is pre-wired and all soldered up. https://daleproaudio.com/products/neutrik-na2mpmf-uw-adapter-3-pin-male-xlr-to-rca-jack-unwired I...
  13. L5730

special tags for subjective comments?

How about something like... To my ears DAC x sounded smoother, richer and simply more musical and enjoyable than DAC y. I don't know how, and I didn't want to admit it, but this is my listening experience. Placing such text into a different colo(u)r and font style than regular. To my ears DAC...
  14. L5730

Offline Loudness (LUFS) plotting

Hi all, Not sure if this is the correct section, but it makes the most sense (unless I am corrected). I've a few loudness meters to use in the DAW, but nothing that can scan an audio file and provide a nice graphed plot. I knew ffmpeg could utilise the ebur128 audio filter to generate all the...
  15. L5730

ReplayGain: What apply method works best for you? (poll)

Hi all, Some while ago I became dissatisfied with how ReplayGain Album Gain was working for me on my music library. What I tended to notice was that album-to-album loudness variation was significant enough for me to seek a different solution. I'm using Foobar2000 and ReplayGain values are...
  16. L5730

Elections and voting (in general) ...

Watching the newcasters paint a picture of fiasco over the US elections, I started thinking about something I've pondered before. Should elections be compulsory? I'm thinking that all eligible voters should be obliged to submit a ballot paper. But they should have the option on said ballot to...
  17. L5730

With EQ, HD 600 or HD 650?

Sorry if this has been asked before, I know the basic 600 vs. 650 question has been asked elsewhere an that's answerable in terms of FR/tone preference. I have been putting all sorts into searches and haven't found a definite answer on this particular subject. The HD 600 is a little cheaper and...
  18. L5730

Drop (Mass Drop) for UK citizens, am I missing something?

I did a little search here, didn't find the answer, but I'm sure it's been discussed before. Seeing these popular headphones and audio devices on Drop, such as Sennheiser HD6xx, 58x, HiFi-Man HE-4xx, THX amps etc. I'm guessing it's really for the US market? Whilst the shipping didn't look...
  19. L5730

Have a listen to these and compare ...

Hi, I am struggling to hear a difference between these two files. Maybe I am going deaf today, maybe not... FLAC 24 bit 96 kHz https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1GXTub65pd2evo3bxn1QtI9dyfajZTZti?usp=sharing Cheers! If these are a bit long of a sample of the song, let me know and I'll...
  20. L5730

Cheap but accurate USB Voltmeter / Ammeter?

Apologies that this is not strictly "audio electronics and hardware". Does anyone have any suggestions for a cheap in-line USB meter to measure how much power is drawn by their DAC, headphone amp, audio interface or whatever USB device? There are a bunch of very cheap USB testers but current...
Top Bottom