Search results

1. D

Sony Acoustic Surface - has anyone ever thoroughly tested this as a speaker?

So we are seeing BIG screens becoming available at affordable mainstream pricing... 115" being shown at CES 2024 With the arrival of such large direct view screens into the mainstream market, projection based systems are under substantial pressure, and in many use cases, are becoming redundant...
  2. D

Clock Alarm Amp Streamer...

Hi Folks, looking for a new bedside alarm clock / streamer, preferably with an integrated amp (but a stereo pre out might be ok) - which can accept a BT feed... For my 9yo son's bedroom. I have speakers and amp I can use (although integrated amplification would be more convenient)... want...
  3. D

Excel Spreadsheet to help with Measuring and Tuning Tonearm Effective Mass

I have a spreadsheet - originally developed by "luckydog" (who I have not seen online for some years) - into which you can plug the figures and extract an accurate effective mass calculation. - I have uploaded it within a ZIP... It is a very useful tool. You measure the mass of the end of the...
  4. D

Calculating Stylus Effective Tip Mass from Measured resonant frequency

Hi Folks, some years back, I worked through the relationship between "effective tip mass" (ETM) a specification provided for many classic cartridges, and a key driver of the stylus tracking ability (low mass = low inertia = great ability to follow the groove "wiggles") - and the cantilever...
  5. D

AVR's UHD/HD HDMI Versions and Visual Acuity (The Emperor has no clothes?)

Many of us, are upgrading AVR's so we can support 4k and 8K resolutions with the latest HDMI standards. Many are objecting to AVR's having their HDMI limited to 40Gb when the standard allows up to 48Gb... But, what about Visual Acuity? If we assume the viewer has 20/20 vision (a big...
  6. D

Home Theatre Speakers - do you really need a sub, if you have full range?

Been giving this some thought.... Many lower end subs have a frequency range and loudness capability that very closely matches the bottom end of full range speakers. If you have 2 full range front speakers (L & R) you therefore effectively have 2 subs If you have additionally 2 full range...
  7. D

MoFi MM cartridges - AT generators, with an aluminium body wrapped around them?

Just saw some reviews... had a look at a couple of marketing images... The MoFi MM cartridges, seem to be a core AT generator body (possibly AT95) - fitted into a solid aluminium surround, and with a Stylus "plug" used... Same deal as for the Clearaudio Concept MM cartridges. They bulk buy...
  8. D

HDMI and Audio Jitter

In days of yore (circa 2008) - there were massive discussions about Audio Jitter and HDMI Paul Miller measured Jitter on a bunch of AVR's and this list tells an interesting story: Denon AVR-3803A --------------- SPDIF: 560psec HDMI: 3700psec Onkyo TX-NR906 --------------- SPDIF: 470psec HDMI...
  9. D

"Monkey Coffins" (box speakers) and Resonances...

So, I became an audiophile in my late teens, and at 20 was working in a "HiFi" store (also the first home theatre store in our region!) ... circa 1985. This retailer sold speakers that have affected my audio journey ever since... We had Quad ESL-63 electrostatics, Revox Agora B active, Boston...
  10. D

Loudness Management (Fletcher-munson?) - Dolby vs Audyssey Dynamic EQ in current generation AVR's

So, for years now, I have been using Audyssey Dynamic EQ for evening listening at lower levels... Basically it combines a set of loudness curves (bass & high boost) with some compression (I think?) Now as I move away from Audyssey, I am considering AVR's where the main equivalent appears to be...
  11. D

Upmixing - where are we at? Have people compared upmixers?

So, in the early days of surround, I had a Lexicon DC1 and then an MC1... These used Logic7 which did a fantastic job of upmixing stereo Dolby Surround to 5.1 or 7.1 channels... Then there was Dolby's own PLII - variable, but frequently OK ... varied dramatically with different implementations...
  12. D

Can one turn a Stereo amp into a Parallel Monoblock? (Not Bridged!)

So reading random interesting bits of the internet, I came across the concept of the Parallel Amplifier.... At the component level, two amplification circuits, run in parallel, keeping the same V output, but doubling the current - sort of the Yin to a Bridged setup's yang... The amp would have...
Top Bottom