Search results

1. D

Crown XLS 1002 suddenly showing Thermal LEDs and cutting out

I experimented with my pair of 2500's trying BiAmp (using the onboard crossovers), and Bridged... In the end I found that the 2500's have so much current/power, that bridging and BiAmping did not seem to subjectively add anything. At some future date I may retry the BiAmp option, with proper...
  2. D

Electrostatic speakers?

Saying that the 303 is "overkill" is an understatement - going a volt or two over the speakers very stringent limit will cause visible arcing (assuming you are in a darkened room) - and once they panel is damaged by arcing, that voltage limit reduces quite stringently, resulting in higher...
  3. D

Electrostatic speakers?

That is the main issue with ESL's!!
  4. D

Active Room Treatment (ART) by Dirac

Typically "full range" speakers have decent output down to below 40Hz (within +/- 3db) Speakers that are limited to 70 or 80Hz are designed to be paired with a sub, and have never been considered "full range" - there are 2 full musical octaves between 80Hz and 20Hz... although the bottom one is...
  5. D

With overkill (and the 2500's are almost always overkill!) you can then determine what your actual needs are... Whereas approaching it from the other side, you are never quite sure whether you have wrung that last bit of performance out of the setup...
  6. D

Electrostatic speakers?

They can do magic that few other speakers can... But... narrow sweet spot, limited low end (high quality... but limited extension) - and the clincher is that they are delicate... give them a smidge too much voltage, and they arc.... and once they arc, it takes less voltage to arc them next...
  7. D

Electrostatic speakers?

Found the reference: The speaker's structural rigidity was increased for the launch of the ESL-63 USA Monitor in 1988. This evolved from a special "pro" version used by Philips' European recording division for location recording. Quad replaced the '63's aluminum frame with steel, and put...
  8. D

Electrostatic speakers?

Yes, I believe they had either a steel frame or steel reinforcing... although the panels and electronics were the same. Will do a search to find out their history - I don't remember them being available in the UK/Europe/Asia (definitely not in Australia - I used to sell them)
  9. D

Electrostatic speakers?

Although from memory... the pro series were USA only - and the BBC (and other European recording studios) used the "standard" 63's... So I have a gut feeling that the "pro" series, was more marketing, focused on an american need for "trucks"...
  10. D

Embedded Dirac Live in My AVR - Can I Bypass and Use the DL App?

First step is to just run Onkyo's own native AccuEQ software on the AVR... That will give you an easy and simple start - and it also does a very decent job as well! Dirac Live, is never run on the AVR... the AVR is used to run the filters calculated by Dirac Live, and is used as a network...
  11. D

I purchased a pair of XLS2500's about 15 years ago... used. (so they are probably 17 years old now) They have run flawlessly from day one, and are currently powering my mains, with substantial daily use... Sounds like you may have got a lemon. I would definitely go for the 1500 as a minimum -...
  12. D

Onkyo TX-RZ50 Review (Home Theater AVR)

Strange - due to 555 rave reviews, I got one (555mkII) to try years ago... it was paired with a set of Klipsch Forte's (I was not game to put it in with my Quad 57's due to the risk of arcing!) - I compared it to a Quad 405... I found it disappointing, there was a hint of harshness from the...
  13. D

What amp would you buy?

I experienced something that could be similar to what you are describing - IMO it was due to running out of current due to the 1.6ohm low point of my spealers impedance curve, and the resulting distortion then polluting the whole frequency range. Using amps that can handle 1 ohm loads fixed the...
  14. D

What amp would you buy?

Good vintage amps are pretty much on a par with current audiophile amps - but they may need a refresh every 30 or so years! My 40+ year old Quad 606's are still doing fine - I did have them checked out and serviced about 15 years ago...
  15. D

Dirac ART is now running on beta FW for Denon Xx800H AVRs!

Dirac did post waterfall charts and such... But they also pointed out that like many things speaker/room related, there are too many variables to be able to make guarantees... I would suggest thinking of it like ABS (anti lock brakes) on cars... you can talk about (and measure) reduced braking...
  16. D

Introducing the Phono Cartridge Measurement Library

It can be tricky locating both the coils and the magnets inside the shank for many cartridges!
  17. D

Have Slim Floorstanding Speakers "Had Their Day?"

I've heard speakers that did the "disappearing act" which had wide baffles - the Boston Acoustics A400's come to mind (mid 1980's...) One of the things that always contributed to that, was an absence of "box" resonances - I always found I could "hear the box" - which is why I fell in love with...
  18. D

Introducing the Phono Cartridge Measurement Library

Taking a stylus from one cartridge and putting it in another can be risky... the magnets/coils may not be properly aligned, if the fit is not 100%, there may be movement of the shank/magnets which would generate distortion, etc... Not impossible (and in some cases the cartridge bodies are from...
  19. D

Electrostatic speakers?

Also the M-L's integration with their woofer has never been quite 100% in my opinion... Perhaps in this day and age of digital roomEQ bass management, the woofer integration issues can be resolved...
  20. D

What interesting and tasty cheese are you enjoying today? This is like the spirits thread but for cheese.

Crispy slightly tannic green apples, (or their cider equivalents... not the icky sweet stuff commonly sold as cider) - are a fabulous accompaniment for vintage cheddars!
Top Bottom