Search results

1. mansr

E1DA Cosmos ADC

@IVX kindly sent me a sample of the new Cosmos ADC to try out. Here are my impressions of it so far. The Cosmos is housed in a compact metal case with rubber feet, USB Type C connector on one and dual XLR inputs on the other. Power is over USB only. Beside the USB connector is small LED that...
  2. mansr

The USB Troll

As we know, USB connections sometimes suffer from computer noise coupling through the Vbus or ground wires and finding its way to the analogue outputs of a DAC. One way of eliminating such noise is to use an isolation device. These are, unfortunately, rather expensive. As a simpler alternative...
  3. mansr

Centre speaker suggestions

I need a new centre speaker. Any recommendations for not too much above £500 (less obviously good)? Preferably, it should fit in a 200 mm (8") high space.
  4. mansr

Teardown (partial) of REL Quake subwoofer

Here are some photos of the outside and inside of a REL Quake subwoofer. Unfortunately, some parts on the PCB are glued to the metal plate, so it's not possible to reveal the component side without potentially destroying something.
  5. mansr

Inside an AudioQuest USB cable

This is the short type A to C cable that comes with the Dragonfly DACs. There's a shield braid and foil inside which we find the power and ground wires, a string, and more foil around the data wires (hiding under the string).
  6. mansr

Cable differences are real

Cable differences are real and measurable. Here is the frequency response of a few random interconnects I had lying around. The variations seen with the RG-59 (red) are due to the mismatch between its 75 Ω characteristic impedance and the 50 Ω inputs and outputs used for the measurement. The...
  7. mansr

Douchebags and Schiit: How do they get away with it?

https://stronglang.wordpress.com/2020/08/15/douchebags-and-schiit-how-do-they-get-away-with-it/
  8. mansr

Scope probes

Below are scope screenshots showing the same signal measured using four different probes ranging in price from £50 to £3k.
  9. mansr

Philips CD150 measurements

Produced 1985-1987, the Philips CD150 is basically a cost-reduced version of the original CD100. While the CD mechanism and chassis are cheaper, the DAC section remains the same. The digital audio data from the CD is oversampled 4x by the SAA7030 chip before a pair of TDA1540P chips (one for...
  10. mansr

Cory Doctorow on MQA

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2018/12/closed-proprietary-felonious-toxic-rainbow-locked-technology
Top Bottom