Search results

1. D

Surround post adjustment via mobile device and audio cues

An idea I had that might spur a discussion. I use Dirac on a 7.1.4 system, which sounds great and all.. but I also have partial hearing loss and the results after measurements (UMK-1) seem to bias the right side of the room (oddly enough, its my right ear that has more loss than left). Got me...
  2. D

Do small speakers make things sound small?

Do small speakers produce small sound? My setup: Electronics ICePower 200ASC DIY fed by a Topping E50 DAC. I've used CamilloDSP on my MoodeAudio and REW to do some room corrections, and I'm also using Dayton LF1 to adjust the room response for my subwoofer. Speakers DIY Speedster TMM...
  3. D

Can Dirac overcome the Onkyo RZ50 shortcomings? X3700H instead?

Given the stellar reviews of the X3700H (sinad, amplifiers) vs. the RZ50 sub-par (sinad, clipping at 4ohm loads) reviews: Would a fully tweaked (using MultiEQ app) X3700H outperform a RZ50, all else being equal? Or is Dirac such an advancement in technology that it can help the RZ50 sound...
  4. D

Integra DRX 5.4 vs. Onkyo TX-RZ50

Anyone know what justifies the $600 price difference between the Integra DRX 5.4 and the Onkyo TX-RZ50? They seem functionally identical.
  5. D

9.2 Atmos AVR questions on pre-amp/channels

Looking to try either the Integra 3.4 or the Onkyo RZ50, both of which are 9.2 enabled AVRs. I was looking thru the back panel though, and found that you cannot have both rear channel AND overhead Atmos enabled at the same time. Question though; Is this a processing limitation AND an...
  6. D

Reference data and/or AI to up-convert compressed audio on streaming

Bottom line; I hate compressed audio that comes with movies on all streaming platforms. But I also don't want to maintain/purchase a library of Blu-Rays that contain the uncompressed audio. So, it got me thinking; 1. Could you maintain reference data that compares the compressed signal of a...
  7. D

Does Dolby Atmos on Netflix/Amazon/HBO/etc.. actually sound any better?

For years streaming services seem to have neglected the audio quality of their titles. The movies all have their dynamic range compressed/clipped by amounts that take almost all the "life" out of a movie's sound. Now that Atmos support is available, is it just the additional channels...
  8. D

Why don't we see Topping/SMSL/etc.. make a simple AVP w/room correction?

Yes, I realize "simple" and "AVP" are oxymorons.. But perhaps a big reason is licensing fees for supporting Atmos/DTS/etc?
  9. D

200ASC vs. NCore/Purifi on decent system

Hello folks, first post here, but long-time (20+ years) DIY'er. Does anyone have experience going from a decent amp (in context) to a world-class measured amp (like the Ncore 400 or Purifi) and their impressions? The results I'd be looking for would be a more 3 dimensional soundstage and...
Top Bottom