Search results

1. J

Just needed to put in a thanks for the forum.

I was very active for a few years ago, and a bit here and there more recently. Why I return just now is to give thanks. My life circumstances haven't landed be softly into a downy retirement, but I'll tell you: Without this forums I would be crying into my beer. Instead I have put together that...
  2. J

Choice between LG 65" C2 vs LG 77" B2

So I need some help in making a decision about which display to buy. As it turns out I can either get the early 2022 LG B2 in 77" or the later 2022 C2 in 65" for the same price--around 1650 USD. No replacement for displacement as they say, but in this case it will land in a medium sized living...
  3. J

Talking Plants (ultrasonically)

Interesting piece of science. The question remains whether they can hear each other? Research in progress. (Free hearing test using swept tones). https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2023/4/1/2161442/-Plants-make-audible-sounds-to-communicate-stress
  4. J

Using upright center speaker?

So I am pondering my first foray into a multichannel set up and have bought a pair of Elac Debut Reference 6.2 for the front L and R.. Because the "matching" Elac center speaker has received mix reviews, I have wondered about using a third Debut Reference speaker instead. Below is the stand I am...
  5. J

Class D car amps for home use?

Maybe I have been looking in all the wrong places but I can't seem to find a 100+ Watts/side stereo amp. Ultimately, I hope to get a 6 channel beast from Buckeye, but for now I just need 75-125W to drive some studio monitor 2 ways I'm building. Several class AB amps in that range from the big...
  6. J

Absolute simplest way to create a crossover using only a computer?

I know the freq at which I want to xo along with the slope and approximate EQ required to get it to target. Right now what I have is a laptop and 4 channel amp. How do I make this work?
  7. J

Apo EQ--is it possible to have different EQ config files for different outputs?

I tried sourceforge, and could not find an answer, but under win 11, it gives a list of 5 options that you can choose one or more of. I use the headphone jack for my 1More earbuds, while the USB goes to a Topping DX3 Pro +. I am guessing the answer is no, but wondering if different EQ settings...
  8. J

Has anyone had a jack fail?

So I have and in discussing the matter, discovered that it is not an unusual failure. That in fact, it was the most common point of failure. I know nothing of whether straight or right angled is more common. But surely a being (maybe even invoke machine learning) out there has this information...
  9. J

Material matters: do different materials have a signature sound?

I was delighted to see that BlieSMa is about to release it's new 3" dome midrange in 4, yes, 4 different flavors: paper, silk, Mg-Al, and of course Beryllium. They all use the same motor and with the exception of the beryllium, all cost about the same, which is to say a lot. And it gives a lot...
  10. J

Which is the best DSP option: DIRAC vs Acourate vs Audiolense vs RePhase vs ?

So I am trying to make up my mind as to how to replace the DEQX preamp/processor that has been a faithful companion for the past 20 years, but is long in tooth, the mic board is dead, and it can't do 8 channels. It has been by far the best audio investment I have ever made, but it is time to...
  11. J

Tomorrow Dec 25th 2021, is a very big day! James Webb Scope is headed out.

Barring a sudden change in the weather, or some glitch in the preparation for liftoff of the very capable Ariane 5 Rocket, the James Webb Space Telecope will be lifted toward an orbit about the sun nearly a million miles away from Earth, making it inaccessible for repairs or maintenance like...
  12. J

This combo a good choice?

Spending time here has given me the itch to try some higher fidelity phones. After considerable research, and looking at the HiFiman, Sennheiser 600, and others (e.g. AKG and the Audio Technica M70), I am leaning toward the Sundara's. I have always had a soft spot for planar drivers, and it...
Top Bottom