Search results

1. J

Just needed to put in a thanks for the forum.

I was very active for a few years ago, and a bit here and there more recently. Why I return just now is to give thanks. My life circumstances haven't landed be softly into a downy retirement, but I'll tell you: Without this forums I would be crying into my beer. Instead I have put together that...
  2. J

Effect of Cannabis use on hearing

BOY's were great. <iframe width="1440" height="598" src="" title="Blue Oyster Cult - Don&#39;t Fear The Reaper (Single Version) (1976) (HD)" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe> God...
  3. J

I'd get my cat stoned if I thought she wouldn't eat me.
  4. J

In-home DAC blind abx test results: Hegel h390 DAC vs Mytek Manhatten ii DAC

I'd be surprised if there are more than a couple of tenths diff. The response of digital done right has been ruler flat pretty much from the get go--maybe a little droop on the freq extremes given filter differences and maybe PS. But no room is flat enough to expose the difference on the low...
  5. J

All readee to start jomming, Me: Started the w/e a bit early as I am retired and allowed such luxuries. I gotta say these Debut Reference Elacs I grabbed recently at 450/pr from BB were WORTH EVERY EFFING PENNY. And I have expensive tastes. I just gotta get some msmts and a thick rug. Can see...
  6. J

Choice between LG 65" C2 vs LG 77" B2

BTW I can't seem to edit the thread title to reflect that the TCI is involved. Help?
  7. J

Thanks for posting the review. I continue to be absolutely gob smacked by this display, and apart from the "corona" (what I called light blobs above) effect he mentions, is about the only flaw that I have consistently been--bothered is too strong a word--distracted by might be a better...
  8. J

How to make a good three way loudspeaker - which bargain drive units ?

100 dB? Seems like 3 approaches will get you there. The highs are not hard, many ribbons and AMT drivers get close or better. And of course there are horns. Mids--not so easy. But a couple of pro drivers in parallel such as the very high fidelty Fatail's can get within spitting distance, and...
  9. J

No activity so I thought I'd clsoe the thread after spending 2 weeks with this display. It is spectacular--whatever minor issues that an OLED typically avoids (blooming, black crush, gray bars, etc) are so reduced that the spectacular dynamic range (that goes bright, not just because you can't...
  10. J

Not necessarily. My amps were sourced through Ebay back in the day when deals were plentiful--but a nice 5x180 Marantz cost me 550 and a nice Retel 2x200 for a few hundred. DSP can be virtually free, but you also need a multichannel D/A convertor. Topping has an 8 channel now thats not hideously...
  11. J

Yea I was seriously bummed to get the ennouncement. He has a great selection of kits--two I built for my daughters and one for my smaller system--also a Carmody design IIRC.
  12. J

So many excellent drivers. I love the SB Acoustics stuff and plan on building a 2 way around the Be tweeter this year. One place to get lost at if you haven's already is this treasure trove. One overlooked source are pro audio drivers--Fatail is one that comes to mind in thinking about...
  13. J

My bad. But in my feeble defense, I'm not that knowledgeable about the current state of video, and am just learning about the multiple methods of making video better with software. But it seems as if I managed to make the right call not once, but twice! I was all in for the 77 LG B2, until I...
  14. J

My bad. But in my feeble defense, I'm not that knowledgeable about the current state of video, and am just learning about the multiple methods of making video better with adaptive codec software. But it seems as if I managed to make the right call not once, but twice! I was all in for the 77...
  15. J

So an interesting display. In short--when it's on, its delicious, but there seem to be significant software issues which have been crippling in a couple of areas--mostly how it responds to DV and HDR+ content, which appear to confuse the TV and results in unstable luminance levels, the impact of...
  16. J

How good / bad is MDF for use in speaker cabinets?

Indeed. It is more than bit friendly. But It is heavy once you beyond 2 cu ft volumes. Double thick baffle and well braced enclosures adds up. I'm building speakers and now that I get older I can no longer move....
  17. J

Is baffle shape really important? What about these ideas?

It was an interesting exchange. We all know the tech has enormous potential. But likely also requires a huge amount of work to get things sorted and productive. Be a great project for a club where one might have access to different sorts of expertise and the time burden shared. In the meantime...
  18. J

Wifi streaming or is BT AptX etc good enough now?

Oh, ok, my bad. I would love to get rid of speaker wire altogether. Especially as more and more channels are called into play. Jiminy XMAS, one has 4 SW's and full ATMOS, it is a jungle for those of us faced with temporary installs.
  19. J

Is baffle shape really important? What about these ideas?

Of course one can admire the theory while respecting the limitations. Waveguides are well understood across a large range of dimensions, And so I was perplexed but not surprised when it was suggested that there is a gap between theory and practice. In other words, you can simulate the hell out...
  20. J

Which while sounding absurd is some type of milestone for gigantic displays--typically twice that and in the case of a Sony system ten times that. o_O
Top Bottom