Search results

1. T

Topping PA3: subjective impressions

I can confirm that the gain difference between the SMSL SA-98E and the Topping PA3 is significant. I use the SA-98E in a ~700 sq/f drywall garage with Pioneer BS22 speakers mounted high along the back wall. When working at the nearby work bench, I typically have the volume setting at the 9...
  2. T

Inexpensive mini-amplifiers: Discussion of power ratings and distortion

I ended up with the Russound P75 from crutchfield in the end. It was cheaper than the Dayton at $130, and I figured buying from a US store would mean easier support during the warranty period if needed. It showed up yesterday and it sounds really good to me. I first tested it on my Elac...
  3. T

Now I feel silly. One site said that the Russound was an A/B amp, but others say that it's a class D. And the amazon reviews aren't nearly as kind as the crutchfield reviews. Too bad if it's just a repackaged cheapo amp like the others. It was looking like a great option for a minute. *edited...
  4. T

I just read that the Russound is in fact an A/B amp, so it may compare more directly with the Dayton apa150. Still hard to know how to compare class D exaggerated power to likely more realistic claims from the A/B options. If the 80wpc Topping was barely adequate, are these two 75wpc A/B amp...
  5. T

I decided to sell the Topping PA3 afterall. I am now on the lookout for another option to fill my need of a stereo amp for the garage to drive a pair of Elac B6.2 speakers for winter spin classes etc.. I mention the class because output levels need to adjust up a bit to compensate for the...
  6. T

Small, lightweight amp with two analog inputs?

Not as cheap as some others, but I recently bought the Topping PA3 mini amp for my garage. Although I'm not blown away by the sound in initial testing (compared to my AVR), it has a very nice look, claims 60wpc, and has a single button switching between 2 inputs. It would surely be mIles better...
  7. T

Replacing a chrome cast audio

I actually responded by going the other direction and ordering two more of them while they are still in stock. $15 while they last is just too hard to miss, and I can't imagine they'll completely pull support for it terribly soon. Any opinion around here about theYamaha wxad-10 for streaming?
  8. T

The fact that the Topping PA3 had the same TDA7498E chip as the SMSL SA-98e was a big part of my reason for selecting it. I'd been happy with the SMSL, and hoped that perhaps the design would be similar, just using the board more conservatively for a potentially better result. A naive...
  9. T

It's interesting to hear your thoughts on the PA3. Since first posting on this thread, I've replaced my Elac B6's with the newer Elac B6.2 (thanks to the black friday weekend sale). I've now had a chance to test the Topping PA3 with the Pioneer BS22, Elac B6, and finally the B6.2's. First...
  10. T

Passive speakers <$500/pair

I just recently learned about NHT speakers when I saw a pair of old SB1's show up on the local craigslist, and have read only good things about them. I was really tempted to get the Super One's instead of the Elac B6, but I get the impression that the B6's are more likely to not require a sub...
  11. T

Passive speakers <$500/pair

On the chance that anyone was considering the Elac B6's, they are currently 50% off at BB and amazon. I replaced my original B6's with this new front ported 2.0 version and I feel like they are an noticeable improvement all around. Can't beat the $150 price tag.
  12. T

I just registered here so that I could join this conversation. Like many I enjoy nice sound but don't have the time, expertise, or money to think about going down the full audiophile path. A couple of years ago I decided to put a basic system into our garage, and needed it to be powerful...
Top Bottom