Search results

1. A

Objectivists vs. Subjectivists - Who's right?

That's the point. You are implying that it can only be proven by scientific evidence, which is incorrect. There is no exclusive standard of proof for the term fact, the evidence to prove it can be anecdotal as well. I agree with you that a scientifically sound fact is probably superior, but I'm...
  2. A

First of all, that is a deliberate misquote, please don't do that. Secondly, you are conflating the term fact with a scientific fact. The definition of a fact is merely a thing or consequence that has been proven to be true - Merriam Webster Now the standard of proof for it to be true is not...
  3. A

I disagree. Knowledge = Inference of facts Measurements = Scientific fact Anecdotal evidence = Factual claim based on subjective observation Whether scientific evidence is superior to anecdotal evidence can also depend on the situation and individual question. For example: Question: Hifiman...
  4. A

Thank you for your contribution.
  5. A

My girlfriend won't even watch a LOTR movie in one sitting with me, she definitely won't switch tracks for two hours. The application is good enough, Track A, B & X,Y are automatically randomized, so you when you choose which is which, the same effect is achieved as if a partner had switched...
  6. A

Pretty sure it means "fart" in British English.
  7. A

Agreed. Graphs and accurate measurements are superior when comparing or analyzing data, but what it ultimately comes down to in terms of the actual listening experience, is your personal preference and taste.
  8. A

What? OK it's fine, I'll allow this pullout, because you just embarrassed yourself. I've been observing your posts in here and noticed that you behave like this with everyone else too. People who constantly have to assert how much smarter and more knowledgeable they are than everyone else...
  9. A

Why are you insinuating my ignorance, when you haven't even taken the time to check whether that's the case? I actually did account for that with ffmpeg and even posted about it in the thread. You seem unnecessarily hostile, relax please.
  10. A

The question is whether the difference is in fact audible. How else should a knowledgeable person perform this test, to know the knowledgeable difference?:)
  11. A

Thank you, I tried my best. I originally just wanted to do 1-2 tests, but ended up doing 40+ to be absolutely sure. Everybody gets attached to ideas, it's just important to stay honest with yourself. I was convinced that the difference was astronomical in the beginning, but had to accept that...
  12. A

It's true, my original expectation was blown out of proportion, but I was able to prove that specific EQ profiles, at least in this case, were able to improve my ability to pick correctly. Then again, after having just completed another set of ABX runs with AAC, I'm more inclined to suggest...
  13. A

I am actually a good example for this, haha. To be perfectly honest, after performing countless ABX tests over a span of ~13 hours, I do believe that my original, untested observation, regarding the difference between lossless and compressed formats, may have been slightly exaggerated, yet not...
  14. A

Can YOU tell the difference between FLAC & MP3? - Part 2

Yeah, that's exactly what the ABX test does, you either play Song X or Y and have to determine whether its the lossless or compressed one. Actually, it uses A,B and X,Y
  15. A

Agreed, it's anecdotal evidence. For example, an audio engineer with 40 years experience is convinced he can detect an audible difference between FLAC and AAC, yet is unable to reproduce or describe this feat scientifically. Available tests neither confirm nor refute his claim. How should a...
  16. A

I wouldn't say that subjectivists don't have evidence of any kind, but rather that the kind of evidence they do offer is simply not accepted by objectivists, namely their own, personal interpretation based on years of experience. Additionally, one could argue that most of the more reasonable...
  17. A

FLAC vs AAC Lossless vs Lossy Joshua vs Zeos Current Science vs. Experience & Intuitive Perception Hard testing vs. Acute Audiophile Senses There are many topics that divide these two groups. It is my understanding that at the core of it all, the issue lies with one group choosing to approach...
  18. A

Huge deep purple fan here, that's an automatic Like. :) Yeah, I definitely preferred the Jazz track by Holly Cole over Piano. I play the violin myself so it was easy for me to recognize the notes and compare them. I'm currently repeating the test with AAC. Any other music suggestions?
  19. A

Yeah, that's what I said, the tests without EQ were performed last. I was 100% guessing each time during those. Well, the source is 192khz/24bit. Granted, whether it was just the higher resolution is not clear, I was just trying to say that there were elements of the original recording that...
  20. A

Yeah, I agree. It did seem like I was getting better at analyzing certain stages of the tracks after 1-2 hours because I started memorizing them in detail. No-EQ was actually the final test run, but I stopped half way because it was just identical. All the specific portions where I expected a...
Top Bottom