Search results

1. S

I learned something today (finally!).

Well, interestingly... Given my wife's almost active disinterest and a lounge too small to fit them, they're in the dining room / kitchen and I mostly have the system playing while I'm cooking (another thing I enjoy more than the Mrs!). Also, the system is playing above and across the dining...
  2. S

I think I'll live in blissful ignorance and enjoy whatever quirks I'm currently happy with!
  3. S

You have the Mirages too? Helps in what way? No, no.... don't get me going again!
  4. S

spotify quality vs "hi-fi" lossless options, i cant tell a difference.

My CD collection all went into storage a few years back. My FLAC rips of them remain untroubled on a hard drive somewhere. I listen to nothing but Spotify at 320mbps. It's been the least of my audio worries for a few years. Every once in a while I listen to something at CD or higher res to make...
  5. S

Bit of history... 65 now, into music and motorcycles all my adult life. Also, while not nearly broke, have never had endless money to lavish on hobbies, which means I've got quite good at being a cheapskate... finding bargains in both fields when I had to. Two years ago, sold all three...
  6. S

RPi USB vs HAT S/PDIF output

We used to be in the EU :mad: I'm on your sad, recently divorced, island neighbour. You can't have my pi, but you can have the same memory card with volumio on. Offer is open...
  7. S

I have now removed the VDac from my system and chucked it in a store pile. I would be happy to send it to you or anyone else that can test it with a pi3 via USB and compare it against the optical input. If they can fix whatever is stopping the coax input working you can test that too. You can...
  8. S

OK, it's a personal truth. I didn't state that HAT beats USB. In other applications asynchronous USB is excellent. I've experienced it myself with a laptop and an Audiolab 8200CDQ I used to own. Superb. I said that in my own experience, with my components, it made a huge difference. it did...
  9. S

Please yourselves... I was just trying to help. I don't have to prove anything to anyone. I don't have evidence to support my hypothesis, it's a statement of personal fact. Take it or leave it, just don't tell me my experience is meaningless. OP was asking about differences between USB and...
  10. S

Have I done something to upset you, voodooless?
  11. S

I find him difficult to dislike, but I'm a simple man with simple needs, so I take his audiofoolishness with a pinch of salt. He makes a lot more sense than some people... about the only thing that makes any scientific sense on this link is using a battery as a 12V power supply...
  12. S

Well I've been here about ten minutes and already my observations are meaningless ;). I don't claim to be a person that notices subtle differences, nor do I particularly care about them. My system is mostly secondhand, no bullshit stuff, set up for convenience as much as anything, and I only...
  13. S

I've documented elsewhere my journey with the Pi, but I was replacing a Chromecast Audio using optical out into a MF V-Dac which sounded sweet but wouldn't play gapless. First attempt was a Pi 3B+ usb out into the V-Dac. Compared to the Chromecast it was terrible. The sweet highs were gone and...
  14. S

Pi-fi newbie!

Couple of weeks have passed, and things are much, much better. The Hifiberry digi2 pro is now fitted on the Pi and playing through its coaxial output. Unfortunately the coax input on the v-dac has decided to go AWOL, so I treated myself to a v-dac2 from ebay. It went in today, and I've been...
  15. S

Pi-fi newbie!

Thanks. I saw people saying a pi4 was better than a 3 USB but I guess I knew I was going to get a HAT eventually so thought I’d give the 3 a try (at half the price of a 4). My (very faulty) reasoning was that anything must be better than the little plastic Chromecast Audio. In practice I think...
  16. S

Pi-fi newbie!

But with nothing to do except lay in the sun and play on my phone this week, I’ve ordered a digi hat ( Hifiberry Digi2 Pro, I’d like the Allo but can’t justify more than twice the price). Also bought another vintage radio on eBay last night… this one will get speakers in.
  17. S

Pi-fi newbie!

Nope, those UK 13 amp plugs won’t fall out in a month of Sundays. The double sided tape holding the gang socket has given way once, though. No, nothing comparable. The DAC works great with optical in from the Chromecast, so I have no intention of changing it. If Pi and or USB don’t work, I’ll...
  18. S

Pi-fi newbie!

No, I’m a long way from being a hi-fi newbie! As pointed out above, I’m playing Pi for the first time.
Top Bottom