Search results

1. antcollinet

Site terms

As far as I can see the site terms are only visible as part of the sign up process. It would be useful if they could be available as a menu item, or perhaps as a pinned post, here, or in the members area to refer to as needed.
  2. antcollinet

Sinad charts linked from Review index page.

The SINAD charts are a great resource for the "what should I buy" queastions. With the answer: "Just pick from the Blue or Green sections of the chart based on price/features" However they are not that easey to find being only availble from recent reviews. Can they be linked directly from the...
  3. antcollinet

Your vintage audio bargains. Show us pics.

So of course, I'm making this thread since I've just scored mine. A Marantz CD 52 MKII - roughly 1990/91 vintage. Unbelievable condition for the age. The protective film was still on the gloss plastic over the display and around the upper buttons. Appears to work perfectly : Reads TOC in about...
  4. antcollinet

Dirac in small room. Should I expect more?

So I've finally got round to re-doing the dirac measurements and filtering after converting my small study into a mini cinema. The room is about 2.8 by 3.5 meters (definately non ideal. Two side walls are glass (yes, it gets worse). Left hand wall has curtains. Right hand wall is a door into...
  5. antcollinet

New unread alerts are not showing up as highlighted.

New unread alerts are not showing up as highlighted. This is the case both in the drop down from the bell, and in the alerts page. Anything changed here? (I'm using the "default" style)
  6. antcollinet

Recording off a 78 without a 78 compatible player.

Hi I've been asked to find a way to get a track off a 78rpm disk for a memorial service. My turntable has no 78 speed - and if I understand correctly a special stylus is needed. Does anyone know if I can half bake it using a standard LP/45 stylus, and then speed up the playback in audacity...
  7. antcollinet

Technical learning resources for digital audio processing.

I'm going to have a month of enforced semi idleness, as we travel to USA to Mum sit next week. It might be a good opportunity to spend some time getting a better/deeper understanding of how digital audio works. I'd particularly like to get a better handle on Delta Sigma conversion, digital...
  8. antcollinet

I don't care about stereo imaging - am I alone. (Poll)

Trigger warning for subjective descriptions :cool: I see a lot of people obsessing about stereo image. Width, depth, height - it all seems to be important. Even more so in the more subjective arenas "...like you could pluck the instruments out of the air..." If I set myself up for listening -...
  9. antcollinet

Brief description (with pictures) of my Touchscreen Pi based PicorePlayer streamer...

At the request of Adam, here: https://audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/fan-less-silent-pc.41114/post-1487232 here is a short description of the Pi based streamer I built. Components:
 Raspberry PI 3b (Made redundant when I upgraded my media player to a PI4. Official power supply...
  10. antcollinet

Most cringeworthy Movie Cliche.

Go on, what are your favorites. Let me kick it off with a couple: "Lock-n-load" normally yelled in an unconvincing gruff bellow as butch marine types go into battle. I wince everytime. And my personal pet hate: Red wire blue wire, and a pair of wavering wire cutters. Why do directors/writers...
  11. antcollinet

Emoji testing...

Done
  12. antcollinet

Make "Rules for Audio Dealers...." post pinned.

I've just linked the rules for dealers post to a new member who might be assosiated with Hypex. Even knowing it existed, it took me 10 minutes to find, and then only because I've linked it before, and I was able to find the thread I'd linked it in. New members have no chance of seeing it. I'd...
  13. antcollinet

Any good online or app based waveform synthesizers/analysers?

In ongoing discussions about how audio works, I often find myself wanting do demonstrate the relationship between time domain waveforms and the frequency domain of that waveform. I've been trying to find (without much success) a (low cost) app, or online tool to help with this. Ideally it would...
  14. antcollinet

How the ear works...

One youtube video, with 3d animations has taught me more about how the ear works in 7 minutes, than everthing I learned as a kid in school. Fascinating.
  15. antcollinet

Loving the PiCorePlayer VU meter display.

I've just set up a Pi based PicorePlayer (Logitech Media Center based music streamer). I already had a spare Pi 3B having replaced it with a 4 for my Kodi based media centre. I got the official screen and case for christmas. It is working really well. It might just be a gimmick - but the...
  16. antcollinet

Rescued my brothers Rotel RA-970BX

A mid '90's amplifier. My brother had put it in an outbuilding ready to throw away. When he told me about it I said I'd have a look. We brought it in and there was a lot of crackling and low volume in the left channels. I noticed that it could get better/worse when operating some of the...
  17. antcollinet

Top of the range Atmos soundbars - any experience?

I'm converting a small room to a small (two seater) cinema. About 2.5m x 3m I want to have some sort of aproximation to Atmos, and notice that the top of the range soundbars from the likes of Samsung and LG have multiple speakers (including in the rears) firing in all sorts of directions...
  18. antcollinet

Why there can never be too much negative feedback - and how the myths around it arose.

While looking around for info relating to a post here, I found the following articles (By Bruno Putzeys of Hypex fame) on the EDN site. Negative feedback in audio amplifiers: Why there is no such thing as too much...
  19. antcollinet

Expecting too much from Dirac?

Hi Bit of a Dirac noob here. Just done my second Dirac measurement and filter. I'd assumed direc would give a much smoother response, but though it has tamed a significant mode at about 50Hz (And eliminated Bass Boom as a result) the rest of the response looks similar to Dirac turned off...
  20. antcollinet

An interesting - wider - discussion of Cognitive bias, confirmation bias etc.

https://theconversation.com/cognitive-biases-and-brain-biology-help-explain-why-facts-dont-change-minds-186530?utm_source=pocket-newtab-global-en-GB
Top Bottom