Search results

1. MdeVelde

Master Thread: Are measurements Everything or Nothing?

Came across this thread a bit late. But here's my 2c.. Measurements + knowledge of what these measurements actually say / mean is everything. Let's take speaker and room measurements for instance. - THD by itself doesn't say much. In general higher order harmonics are much more audible than...
  2. MdeVelde

Kii THREE Review

Yes it will change the sound power in a significant way. The 8C was designed so that the bass which gets boosted by the wall is in-phase and above middle bass it is cardioid so you don't get reflection comb filtering (why you would usually not place speakers close to the wall). It is then DSP EQ...
  3. MdeVelde

Kii THREE Review

Hmm that's not what I expected. Given the flatter/deeper bass of the 8c and slightly better treble. Though I think perhaps the way they are scored is not a good match for these types of speakers. It's likely the more sudden omni bass to cardioid mid that's hurting the 8c score a bit. Though this...
  4. MdeVelde

Kii THREE Review

Heard several reports from studios that the 8C has a bit more solid bass than the Kii. Measurements seem to point in that direction as well. Would love to see the Olive score of the Kii Three. I suspect it will be slightly below the 8C due to bass and the top octave.
  5. MdeVelde

Sennheiser HD600 Review (Headphone)

Didn't check. But without EQ I assume I'd also prefer the HD600 vs the K371.
  6. MdeVelde

I actually compared the HD560s, HD600, HD650 and AKG K371 at the same time. DAC and amp I use is the Anedio D2. In the end I rated the headphones like this: HD650 > HD600 > HD560s > K371 This is based on all headphones EQ-ed to the Harman curve with the Oratory1990 measurements and EQ presets...
  7. MdeVelde

I already sent the HD650 back and received a new one. The new one has no audible channel imbalance and I'm perfectly happy with it :) And yes, I really do think the first HD650 slipped past quality control as the right earcup wasn't fully attached as I wrote earlier. This was visible and should...
  8. MdeVelde

Sennheiser HD650 Review (Headphone)

The Drop 6xx is identical to the HD650 right? For my HD650 my close second choice for my EQ is the Innerfidelity HD6xx EQ through AutoEQ. (strange enough the Oratory1990 HD650 EQ must be done manually through Oratory1990's HD650 settings as the AutoEQ version doesn't sound as good to me). I...
  9. MdeVelde

Sennheiser HD650 Review (Headphone)

Sounds fairly rolled off to me in the treble. Here Oratory1990's EQ preset (also based on measurements on a Gras system): https://www.dropbox.com/s/zr5tqw0qojom9uh/Sennheiser%20HD650.pdf Sounds best to me of all EQ settings I could find (many to be found through AutoEQ).
  10. MdeVelde

Thanks for sharing the info on in-ear mic measurements and their limitations! The reason I'm getting them is as another reference point. I have a small anechoic chamber at home and will be testing/measuring the relative HRTF of myself and other people. I'm doing this now with a measurement mic...
  11. MdeVelde

Thanks for the heads-up. As for cables. I'm not very versed in electrical things :) I believe you when you say it cannot affect non-linear distortion. Though maybe the contact of the HD600 cable isn't that great inside the HD600 and a resonance there at a certain frequency can have effect. I...
  12. MdeVelde

Did some more comparing the HD650 with the HD600 after finding the Oratory1990 EQ presets for both. On top of that I found that my HD650 had a bit of a quality control issue. The bottom backside of the right headphone was slightly wider than the left. Turns out it wasn't clicked in completely...
  13. MdeVelde

Yes from looking at pictures that HD560 Ovation II cable looks about the same as the HD600 cable. Not sure though if the frequency response would necessarily have to show the difference. Perhaps the difference could show up in non-linear distortion. I'll try to test/measure it myself once I...
  14. MdeVelde

ASR Directiva Open Source Speaker Review

Ah cool. I didn't realise that it is a done design :) Very good design indeed at an amazing price point! I had been working on something similar (though a 3-way active design) and it would have cost somewhere around 3000 to make a pair.
  15. MdeVelde

Well then make a bigger roundover and change the baffle size if needed? I personally don't feel one should ignore the vertical off-axis and power response to the benefit of perfecting only the horizontal off-axis. Crossing lower if the tweeter allows it (and the DXT does) and optimising the...
  16. MdeVelde

One can't get away with a higher crossover with the Purify off-axis. Since the Purify drops off significantly off-axis while the tweeter does not. The main benefit to crossing lower is that the vertical nulls will occur at a greater angle and you will get a smoother power response etc. As for...
  17. MdeVelde

Ah yes. I'm all for the approach you just described :) And I'm not at all a cable nut (at least I used to not be a cable nut at all until just now with the HD650 cable). But perhaps something is going on regardless with the HD600 cable vs the HD650 cable. Perhaps the HD600 cable is so badly...
  18. MdeVelde

Another speaker designer here chiming in :) I think the design would be improved by lowering the crossover freq. That tweeter can be crossed quite a bit lower. Grimm LS-1 crosses it at 1550Hz for instance. As for the woofer, Purify has a metal cone version of this woofer now which is slightly...
  19. MdeVelde

Upon doing a closer inspection, both the HD600 and HD650 I have have the new pads. And the HD650 pads appeared thicker to me but now I'm not sure it looks like they are the same. Don't know why I feel like I have slightly more room for my ears in one vs the other. Headband is set the same...
  20. MdeVelde

I've just spent 2 days comparing the HD600 with the HD650. Both brand new and both the new (2019) model from the Romanian factory. And I can say with absolute certainty that my HD600 and HD650 differ quite a bit in many audible ways. There are also many measurements online by 3rd parties of the...
Top Bottom