Search results

1. pwjazz

Master Complaint Thread About Headphone Measurements

Okey dokey. I thought I had been contributing over the last couple of years, but since it seems that I'm on a trajectory to spoil the fun, I'll just leave and get out of your hair. @AdamG247 I'm thinking perhaps I should have left things at my original comment, but I am glad that my bellyaching...
  2. pwjazz

With all due respect, it sounds like you're not enjoying this. If you're not enjoying it, why do it? If your goal is to get through measuring as many headphones as possible, perhaps just focus on that, skip the exposition/recommendations and don't accept comments? Maybe a blog would be a better...
  3. pwjazz

Not that it matters, but the goings on in the headphone forum are making me take a hiatus (possibly permanent) from ASR. I came for the measurements of source gear and stayed for the interesting people who participate here. When ASR got into headphone measurements, I was dubious that they would...
  4. pwjazz

ZMF Atticus Review (Headphone)

I'm not complaining about your measurements, where did I complain about your measurements? I'm responding to a member who asserted that these headphones are beyond the ability of pads to fix, which implies that pads can't significantly impact frequency response. I'm merely seeking to debunk that...
  5. pwjazz

Someone suggested (without evidence) that different pads would not drastically alter the Atticus's sound. I was simply trying to point out that pads can in fact have a profound impact on the frequency response of headphones. I thought this was a fairly settled matter, but somehow it turned into...
  6. pwjazz

You chose a pad that happens to measure close to stock to make your point. You could have chosen a pad that differs significantly, like this... That level of difference is well beyond the margin of positioning error. What you see here is the effect of moving from relatively permeable and...
  7. pwjazz

Not commenting on this headphone specifically, but in general, pads can make a huge difference to frequency response. Here are some measurements from Dekoni of various pads on the Beyerdynamic DT 1990. You can see variations up to 6dB in the bass and 6 dB in the upper mids/lower treble. If you...
  8. pwjazz

At the risk of rubbing multiple people the wrong way, I wish we weren't debating the merits of @amirm 's methodology in reviewing the Celestee, but were instead figuring out how to account for how two headphones with low distortion and EQd to the same requency response target can subjectively...
  9. pwjazz

Your favorite IEMs?

Oh, something else that might be of use to people ... In my experience, finding and addressing the treble resonance that occurs on a lot of IEMs is one of the more important EQ exercises. Because of differences in anatomy and tips, the resonance occurs at different points for different people...
  10. pwjazz

Your favorite IEMs?

Good question. My understanding is that when inserted, the tube basically acts like an extension of the ear canal and what matters in terms of the ear canal resonance frequency is that total length of tube + canal. You inspired me to do some measuring of the VK4 using various tips. I took 3...
  11. pwjazz

Your favorite IEMs?

I own my own IEC coupler, tons of IEMs including expensive ones like the Andromeda, and more tips than is sane. I can tell you that as long as the tip seals, doesn't collapse on itself and is inserted to the same depth, the coupler will measure basically the same frequency response for all sorts...
  12. pwjazz

Your favorite IEMs?

I use Xelastec tips with the VK4 for comfort and sound.
  13. pwjazz

Your favorite IEMs?

The peak throws off timbre but it's not as aggressive as Beyerdynamics. I EQ it down, along with some of the bass. I have an MH755 and it's a good choice too. Vocals are more forward, bass is even more ridiculous and treble lacks a bit of air, and the short cable is a bit annoying, but it's a...
  14. pwjazz

Your favorite IEMs?

The QKZ VK4 is a great bargain and would be my only headphone/earphone if my ears were more comfortable with IEMs in general. To put it in perspective, here's their frequency response compared to the week regarded Blessing 2 Dusk.
  15. pwjazz

Best Headphone ASR Has Reviewed

The other thing that varies significantly is listening level and hence perception of loudness across frequencies. Headphones like the LCD2 series that sound a bit muffled at low volumes tend to sound much clearer to me when I crank up the volume, whereas bright headphones like the DT 1990 or...
  16. pwjazz

Dan Clark Audio AEON RT Review (closed headphone)

This could completely be placebo, but on my Qudelix, even balanced, the Aeon RT sounds liud enough, but gets a little harsh after a while of listening. On my Atom, I don't have that problem. Regarding EQ, I've been enjoying the below in combination with the foam inserts. Compared to @amirm 's...
  17. pwjazz

are you disappointed of some of your old favorite songs that sound like crap on you new hi fi equipment?

Coming from the headphone world, when I encounter a "revealing" headphone that makes formerly fine recordings sound bad, I usually take that to mean that they have peaky or elevated treble that accentuates hiss, sibilants and so on.
  18. pwjazz

Yes! Reviewers frequently talk about "bass slam", criticizing most Hifiman headphones for lacking it, praising most Focal models for excelling there and generally considering Audeze to do better than Hifiman. Sure Focals tend to have a little bass bump, but the real distinction is that Hifiman...
  19. pwjazz

Audeze LCD-24 Review (Headphone)

I too would like to think of Audeze headphones as a low distortion platform for EQ, but the fly in the ointment is that they have a reputation for sometimes significant unit variance, including the depth and width of that 1-5KHz dip, weird undulations in that area, etc. So if you don't have a...
Top Bottom