Search results

1. T

RME ADI-2 FS Version 2 DAC and Headphone Amp Review

I would like that too. A full REST API that worked while the unit was live would be great, but I think they could get 80% of the functionality for 20% of the work: I would be happy if all they implemented was backup & restore over USB, with a PC-side file format that is easy to figure out and...
  2. T

General design stupidity

That's the main reason to keep the actual key in my wallet. For the most part, though, if the car doesn't open when I walk up to it then it's a nice reminder that I forgot the phone.
  3. T

General design stupidity

My car uses my phone as the key, which normally works quite well, but I still keep the credit card sized key in my wallet. The only design complaint I have is that if I leave my phone in the car then anybody can drive off. Sounds like a big deal, but I rarely forget, and phone as key is just so...
  4. T

HDTracks issues

I have only bought a few albums from hdtracks.com (the 2014/2015 Led Zeppelin remasters, all were 24/96 FLAC downloads), and have not had the problem you're describing. However, I have contacted their support in the past with various random questions about different items in their catalog, and...
  5. T

Measurements of RME ADI-2 DAC and Headphone Amp

The world is big place and I don't doubt that Some People(tm) use it with an external amp, but I'm skeptical of "virtually no one". I can speak only for myself: most of my headphone listening is on my ADI-2 DAC with DCA Aeon Noire. I bought this unit specifically as a headphone amp, and it...
  6. T

Carver Crimson 275 Review (Tube Amp)

I got excited when I read that post, because in spite of many people posting on this thread claiming that the amp's existence is illegal, there has been a scarcity of references to actual laws or regulations. Because I like to search before asking, I went and read your 25 posts on this thread...
  7. T

I think that, in general, it's fair to state that perhaps the parts supplied for the CarverFest amps were not necessarily the same as used in production. But in the specific case of the transformers: does anybody make a transformer capable of delivering the advertised power that would fit onto...
  8. T

NEWS: monolith amp with Hypex amplification!

I interpret a date like that as "We have no clue, but the computer makes me input a date, so I'm making up a date that will keep you from pestering me for a long time".
  9. T

Well if we're playing that game, it also doesn't explicitly state that the FR and the power and the distortion numbers are supposed to be delivered at the same time. :p Caveat Emptor, and be grateful that somebody does measurements without being funded by advertisers.
  10. T

Who/what is the current "Bob Carver Corporation"? I'm under the impression that Bob Carver is no longer involved. Trying to throw the guy a bone here...I wonder if he designed a competent amp but failed in who to trust to manufacture and market it?
  11. T

Finally, music we can buy in 768 khz sampling rates.

Any chance the ~150KHz signal noticed in the files is the bias signal? I do recall reading of a remastering project that starting with locating archived studio tapes and digitizing them. The article mentioned that they used a high enough frequency that they could pick up the bias signal. They...
  12. T

Dan Clark Stealth Review (State of the Art Headphone)

It's called a "hirose" connector. I’m very happy with Hart Audio cables. I dig their whole system, and the prices aren't stupid. https://hartaudiocables.com/collections/headphone-cables/products/hc-12-dual-push-pull-mr-speakers-balanced-headphone-cable Note that if you're new to Hart you...
  13. T

Why do records sound so much better than digital?

Got it. Then, yeah, I missed your point. But I'll stick with my point (different from yours) that the ripping software that seems pickier than CD players is not because the CD player did a better jog of error correction. In fact the CD player most likely gave up on correction, just played...
  14. T

I've been following for all 67 pages. I find the thread interesting because of the tangents it takes, or occasionally laughing at some silly comments. I can appreciate that for some people vinyl scratches an itch by being more tactile, and/or open to tweaking. For me, I scratch those itches...
  15. T

I think you're assuming that the CD player actually corrected what it read from the disc. I'm under the impression that CD players will correct if possible, but their fallback is to play back the known incorrect data on the grounds that it's probably just a few bits off and you'll never notice...
  16. T

Carver Crimson 275 Measurements

It was clear. I don't know how anybody could take issue with this: you keep it if it performs as advertised, and return it if it fails. That's just normal business, right? Are you going to measure it yourself in addition to Amir?
  17. T

James Webb, World's Largest Space Telescope Ready for Launch in 2018

Yep, and I've had a great time following the daily progress. The real point of my question, though, was why not deploy it while it's in LEO and accessible for repair. Whether they deploy between earth & L2, or wait until arrival at L2, doesn't impact reparability. By the way, am I the only...
  18. T

James Webb, World's Largest Space Telescope Ready for Launch in 2018

Thanks, there was some interesting stuff there. The first two items you quoted were things I hadn't considered. I watched a video earlier in the week (sorry, I lost the link) and one of the NASA project scientists commented that JWST will probably be the last flagship space telescope to be...
  19. T

SMSL M500 MKII Review (DAC & HP Amp)

I was reading through the product page at https://www.smsl-audio.com/portal/product/detail/id/546.html, saw mention of XU-216, and immediately wondered "MQA?". Sure enough, a couple of lines down, and they say it has MQA-CD. I'm not sure how that differs from just "MQA", but I would prefer it...
  20. T

The Concept Album - Vote!

The graphical Timeline that wikipedia frequently has for bands is frequently interesting, definitely interesting for Yes: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yes_(band)#Band_members. Wakeman's line, with in-and-out six times(!) looks more like a string of Morse code :-)
Top Bottom