Search results

1. M

WiiM in disguise - the Andover Songbird is a WiiM!

Yes, but Fing is a WiFi scanner and the device is recognized as WiiMu. The other devices that use the Linkplay software do not report themselves as WiiMu - but you are likely correct. I am thinking that the same engineers may have initially developed that two but there is no way for me to...
  2. M

WiiM in disguise - the Andover Songbird is a WiiM!

When using the Fing app on my Android phone recently I noticed something that had previously escaped my attention. That is that the Andover Songbird is reported as a WiiMu LinkPlayer. Aside from the physical similarity to my WiiM Mini-55CE the functionality seems just about identical. The...
  3. M

CSS Criton 1TD-X Kit Speaker Review

Good point. That's what I get for posting without looking at the speaker. I need to buy a microphone and do some measurements.
  4. M

Kerry, One thing that is mentioned in the assembly instructions is that the length of the port can be controlled by the owner during the assembly process. The issue I have with such a deviation from the standard length is the time it will take to remove the woofer and then replace it for each...
  5. M

Thanks to you and everyone that responded. What do you mean by high grain sandpaper??
  6. M

Both of those are good ideas. I read about the iron method this year and was skeptical that I would ever use it on a hardwood floor but it just might work on that spot on the speaker. As for the staining, one fear I have is over-sanding. I have some reading to do. Wood oil is something I...
  7. M

Yes. I realized that after I saw the dimple - which was months later when I was moving the speakers after a leak in the ceiling almost above them (lucky break there). I just didn't have clean smooth 2x2's at my disposal and being a novice made a simple error.
  8. M

I guess I did a little too much kayaking last summer. They never got stained! You can see residual wood glue in the pictures but it is more visible in the jpgs than with the naked eye. My S21 often sees things that I don't. There was another comment concerning the difficulty in assembling...
  9. M

An interesting side note that I haven't seen mentioned here is that you can play with the tube length to tune the bass to your liking. I have not done that but a true DIYer would have a ball.
  10. M

Yes! This was considered a decent speaker but the upgraded tweeter got raves from many. When faced with upgrading the tweeter first to the X or upgrading the crossover, the answer (I believe from CSS themselves) was to buy the better tweeter. I bought the X version with a birch flatpack for...
  11. M

Topping E30 II DAC Review

Actually the other question is whether the E30 II has the same drop out problem as the later E30's did. This was a very interesting problem and I solved it 3 different ways. First, the later E30 that had all the drop outs with many CD players did not have any drop outs with any of the BluRay...
  12. M

Jitter with topping e30

There isn't much more to say. The newer version doesn't work with many CD players. The only work around I know of is to feed the CD into another device that has a digital output (like the Andover Songbird that I use). I was able to find a Denon CD player that works. The manufacturer isn't...
  13. M

Topping E30 powersupply/USB noise

Thanks. I'm not surprised he covered this. I couldn't find it!
  14. M

Topping E30 powersupply/USB noise

This is an answer that I am looking for some detail. I know that Amir has talked and written extensively on the lack of need for AC filters and such when feeding well designed audio gear. But the interesting thing about some (most?) of the Topping gear is that the they do not include the USB...
  15. M

Linear power supply for streamer?

I am here because I searched for this question. I recently bought a Topping E50 DAC. Many reviewers like this unit but also suggest paying another $50 to $150 for a high quality "wall wart" that outputs clean power to the USB cable. Others suggest using a battery power brick to power the...
  16. M

Jitter with topping e30

I hope you will consider buying an Andover Songbird as a CD receiver. I send the optical signal to my Songbird and then use the optical out of the Songbird into the E30. The Songbird is a nice inexpensive streamer. It works with Spotify, Amazon Music and apps like Tunein. If you are in the...
  17. M

Jitter with topping e30

I guess I better get the squirrels moving a bit faster in their exercise wheel. I don't have 230v otherwise. Thanks for your help - I think I will look for something similar that was offered here in the US in that time frame.
  18. M

Jitter with topping e30

Thanks Zombiebrains. I noticed that the CD players that worked with the E30 for which you preferred the inboard DAC were relatively expensive machines. It is nice to know when you spend over $1000 for a Denon or Yamaha player, that you receive a quality product with a good sounding DAC. Is the...
  19. M

Jitter with topping e30

ZombieBrains, I notice that you have listed the Yamaha CDS2000 and the Denon 800NE as CD players that work with the newer problematic E30. Can you please also list the other Denon model that works with the newer E30? I am also interested in any other CD models that work well with the recent...
Top Bottom