Search results

1. Laughing Heart

Sabaj A30a announced

Originally announced on this forum in July 2022, 55 pages, and over a year later, There's still no ASR review, I don't get it, but there's no shortage of DAC reviews, even from Sabaj's 2023 update. By all accounts it seems a great value for money amplifier, nice build quality, and it looks...
  2. Laughing Heart

Where are the reviews for Mjolnir, Kevin Gilmore, Blue Hawaii Electrostatic Energizers?

The equipment necessary, (adapter ?) and the methodology of Amir's previous testing of STAX amplifiers and a Transformer Adaper (not sure which) has also been questioned by the actual designer Kevin Gilmore, adding to the confusion of whether the results are acurate or not.
  3. Laughing Heart

Topping estats amp EHA5 (details updated)

I wouldn't call the iFi iESL cheap, if Topping plans a Transformer Adapter, then great ! but it needs to be a straight transformer adapter without all the bells and whistles of the ifi, no adjustable bias, no adjustable impedance etc, just a straight Stax esl adapter with fixed 580v pro bias...
  4. Laughing Heart

Electrostatic headphones - dedicated amplifier vs. transformer

Alternatives to STAX amplifiers are limited or crazy expensive, I'm very happy with a once reasonably priced but old STAX SRD-7 Mk2 transformer box, it's driven by a Crown Studio Reference II power amp, for my SR-L700's which isn't a very expensive setup, especially when compared to similar...
  5. Laughing Heart

Topping estats amp EHA5 (details updated)

Where did this rumor come from ? I would love a reasonably priced Topping alternative, especially when compared to Stax or other specialized and very expensive options. The choices are limited, I'm very happy with a once reasonably priced but old SRD-7 Mk2 transformer box, it's driven by a...
  6. Laughing Heart

Sabaj A5 and A8 announced

Excellent, thanks for that, It seems it would be hard to distinguish any sound differences, as long as not pushed into distortion, but with about 200 clean watts at 8 ohms, it should be ok. Hopefully the implementation doesn't make it worse than than icepowers specs, including the noise /...
  7. Laughing Heart

Thanks for that, they must be from the icepower data sheet, I'm not much good at deciphering these test charts, I can see the frequency drops about 3dB by 10khz and close to 6dB by 20khz this is beyond my hearing. The top charts blue trace is intermodulation distortion I think ? looks reasonably...
  8. Laughing Heart

If you want very good quality cables for cheap when compared to the overpriced audiophile snake oil, then go to a local Pro Audio Store (one that provides live P.A. service if possible) and ask for Neutrik nickel NC3MXX (silver pins) male XLR plugs and NC3FXX female XLR equivalent 3 pin plugs...
  9. Laughing Heart

I've done a pretty thorough search for alternatives, I did see the Ghent Audio pre-built DIY models, there's also the same amplifier in a single case GA-S500P, but take their price into account and then compare to the cost of two A8's, it becomes a no brainer as they say. I did look into their...
  10. Laughing Heart

Hi Mario, After you have spent some time with your new amplifiers, could you Please let us know about your impressions, such as build quality, noise at max volume with the signal paused, the "tactile" feel of the volume pots (also any noise as you turn up the volume) and feel of the switches...
  11. Laughing Heart

Hi Peter Wen, As stated by the comments above, could you PLEASE send one in to Amirm for testing (BTL mode). I think that for SABAJ to use two bridged mono ICEpower 125ASX2 modules, is a stroke of genius in marketing a well established amp board, that has measured very well and also at a very...
  12. Laughing Heart

Crown amp?

Back then in 1994, my musician friend had the Yamaha P3500, (used by Bob Clearmountain to drive his infamous NS1O's) we auditioned some "HiFi" type amps in the "audiophile" shops, he then suggested looking at Professional studio amps, I went to buy the same P3500, but ended up leaving with the...
  13. Laughing Heart

Crown amp?

Crown have made many different types of amps and its not the company it once was, now owned by Harman. I have owned a Studio Reference II power amplifier since 1994, still going strong, a very well built amplifier designed for recording studio's or for mastering and to drive large main monitors...
  14. Laughing Heart

Stax SRM-Xh Review (Electrostatic Headphone Amp)

My understanding is that the bias supply is for the actual electrostatic charge, 230 volts on older models and 580 volts in newer Pro Bias models. I thought that the fluctuating music +/- signal is seperate to the 580 volts bias supply, and that it also requires quite a lot of voltage to drive...
  15. Laughing Heart

The A90 is a Headphone amplifier / preamplifier, although powerful for a head amp, it wasn't designed, nor would it have enough power to drive speakers, (it has no speaker terminals). The SRD-7Mk2, SRD-7Pro were designed to connect to the speaker outputs of a poweramplifier or integrated...
  16. Laughing Heart

Amirm, It would be interesting to see how one of the better transformer box adapters, (one in good condition) like a STAX SRD-7Mk2 or SRD-7PRO driven by a good quality amplifier measures, as I have no shortage of what sounds like, very clear undistorted power, which could easily cook my...
  17. Laughing Heart

I have a SRD-7Mk2 which has both a Pro and older Standard outputs, I've only ever used the Pro output with my SR-L700 ear speakers, connected to a 27KG Crown Studio Reference II, power amp, it is complete overkill for driving the L700's. I have the power amps volume pots set to about 10 o'clock...
  18. Laughing Heart

Sabaj A10h Review (Headphone Amplifier)

The switchable Preamp (Pr 1 - RCA out) or Headphones (Pr 0 headphones out) function is sadly not available on the higher end balanced Sabaj A20h, it only has XLR / RCA inputs, no line output option to take advantage of its relay volume control like the A10h. I am interested in the complete A20...
Top Bottom