Search results

1. K

KEF R11 Meta Tower Speaker Review

I've posted this before, and it's somewhat outdated now, but here's a 2015 video where you can see the whole of the LS50 (original), R series (2012), Reference and Blade drivers at 4:30. These have all since been updated to be "Meta", and the Reference and Blade Meta now share a Uni-Q, but...
  2. K

KEF R11 Meta Tower Speaker Review

Or at least suppressed it beyond where we should care - other measurements have shown KEF's tweeter designs start to resonate up around 38kHz. The stiffened dome has pushed that resonant frequency well beyond hearing range (and usual output filters), and the tangerine waveguide reduces the...
  3. K

Marantz AV10 AV Processor Review

What are you talking about? Calibration systems calibrate speakers. What happens upstream in the processor to determine what signals go to each speaker is irrelevant. I think maybe ban25 slightly misstated by saying "runs a frequency sweep on each channel individually". It's more specifically...
  4. K

Post #460 there is nonsense - there is absolutely a direct 2-channel analogue path to the L+R outputs in every Denon/Marantz I've ever seen. (Which would be mid-to-high-end ones like the 5805 or this; I won't rule out the possibility of there being a low-end one not having it). It is less...
  5. K

Over the years some higher-end Denons and Marantzes have had the ability to generate subwoofer output using fixed 80Hz analogue LPF from L+R in "Direct" type modes. It would not be surprising for an absolutely top-end model like this to have that facility. I've never seen them do more than that...
  6. K

new KEF KC62 dual 6.5" subwoofer

Not immediately obvious why you'd compare the SB 1000 Pro to the KEF KC62. They're different size classes. The KEF KF92 is the comparable model by dimensions. (Same width, 0.5" less deep, 0.4" taller). I agree that most people could fit a KF92/SB 1000 Pro-sized sub - they're pretty compact -...
  7. K

new KEF KC62 dual 6.5" subwoofer

You could, but they wouldn't work so well after being installed into the same space as the KC62. You'd have to crush them down quite tight! You're paying for retained functionality after size reduction.
  8. K

Apollon NCx500ST Stereo Amplifier Review

In these small enclosures, with their efficient amplifiers, the metal of the case is part of the thermal solution an a way that it's not for something bigger with internal finned heatsinks relying more on internal airflow. So they will feel warmer.
  9. K

32 Bit Float Explained

It's a numeric representation, not an ADC process. If you have any sort of ADC process with higher range, using whatever tricks have has been previously discussed, then it gives you a way of transferring the output. The point is that 32-bit float is a far more useful format than 32-bit integer...
  10. K

Apollon NCx500ST Stereo Amplifier Review

They're different voltage supplies, and they correspond to the voltages the amplifiers need. Purifi 1ET400A wants 65V, and the NCx500 wants 84V. The Purifi could maybe do with a slightly higher voltage (the A400 is 63V), but it can't use the A700 supply, it's too high.
  11. K

32 Bit Float Explained

Well, it's the next common step after 16 bits. To have anything in between 16 and 32 is only going to happen on dedicated audio circuitry, but general-purpose computation doesn't bother with non-power-of-2 data units. To a large extent the increasing prevalence of 32-bit data paths, whether it...
  12. K

Audiophonics HPA-S400ET Review (Stereo Amplifier)

The 29dB thing is a universal receiver convention, thanks to THX; every Denon I've ever seen follows it, and I can't imagine they've changed it for your model - external amps intended to be used for home cinema applications are supposed to have 29dB gain to match. (Not only does that avoid...
  13. K

Audiophonics HPA-S400ET Review (Stereo Amplifier)

The amplifiers have differential inputs, and given the usual way the buffers and inputs are set up, that would be indicating the differential voltage required, not the voltage of a single signal. The input connector in use doesn't directly affect the gain. If the input is balanced (so via XLR)...
  14. K

KEF LS50 Meta Review (Speaker)

It would be reasonable to expect it can achieve similar results to the LS50 Wireless II, which has a bass boost on-board. There's nothing magic here, but it is hard to do in a straightforward-for-end-users way with outboard processing, so it's interesting to hear of a workable attempt being...
  15. K

Modern AVR’s and Processors - Super Annoying Shortcoming

I've used a few AMD and NVidia cards with no problems. Currently NVidia GTX1660, and no issue getting 2.0 output for receiver upmix. And I can also select 7.1 for running REW (don't use it as an HTPC, so that's the only real multichannel use it gets). Just need to change the Windows speaker...
  16. K

The issue is probably going to be audio-driver specific. Windows definitely supports changing channel configuration for HDMI (or any) audio output, but presumably your output device is having a problem - or has some sort of local configuration that makes it not follow Windows' settings. What...
  17. K

32 Bit Float Explained

Yes, but that "just" is a big deal. A SIMD CPU unit might do, say, 4 integer multiplies in 1 cycle, or 4 float multiplies in 1 cycle. If it doesn't natively support a fixed-point form of multiply which gets the binary point in the right place, then that adjusting shift is a whole extra...
  18. K

Look at the charts more carefully. That's PLIIx to matrix the rear channels, and only applies when you actually have 4 surrounds. It does not apply to PLII. PLIIx is actually two separate things under one name - a 2->7 upmix for 2-channel inputs and a 2->4 upmix for the 2 surround channels in...
  19. K

Audiophonics HPA-S400ET or Hypex Nilai500DIY?

Because it's cheaper than having two sockets? You only need one. The second socket is a convenience to save people having to knock up splitter cables to trigger multiple amps. If one manufacturer was fitting pass-through sockets to their stereo amps but not to their mono ones, I'd question...
  20. K

Audiophonics HPA-S400ET or Hypex Nilai500DIY?

I think Audiophonics have just fitted a pair of connectors so you can daisy-chain multiple amps, using the sockets as "in" and "thru", if you need to switch more than one amplifier.
Top Bottom