Search results

1. J

Sound stage depth?

Well I am an Australian citizen and under Australian law I have those rights of freedom of opinion.Not all citizens do of course.
  2. J

Sound stage depth?

What is the right to freedom of opinion and expression? The right to freedom of opinion is the right to hold opinions without interference, and cannot be subject to any exception or restriction. Right to freedom of opinion and expression https://www.ag.gov.au › public-sector-guidance-sheets › r...
  3. J

Sound stage depth?

The Revel F208 is an interesting modern speaker because it has relatively poor image depth and projection despite measuring very well.There is very little projection in front of the plane of the speakers although there is some depth back behind them.There is a small dip in the 1500Hz -2500Hz...
  4. J

Sound stage depth?

No soup for you!
  5. J

Sound stage depth?

Lets not.There is more unsighted testing data and measurements there than anywhere else.Rather than dismiss it without knowing anything about it perhaps you should ask Hi Fi Choice to release it all and collate it .
  6. J

Sound stage depth?

A high resolution amplifier will surely not just resolve more detail and sound cleaner but also more stereo effect information.It will be better at reproducing a phantom centre image.And that is the whole point of stereo recording and reproduction.
  7. J

Sound stage depth?

I have used three amplifiers that completely killed image depth and sounded very 2D.I later found out two of these were well known to sound like that-the NAD Power Envelope power amps and an M.E. 550.That quality was acknowledgedby ME and corrected in later versions.The third one was a cheap...
  8. J

Sound stage depth?

It seems to me that some people can't hear image depth.Some cannot hear it at first but then something switches in their brain and from then on they can and some people seem to hear it straight away.It is a bit like those picture puzzles with "hidden' pictures that appear to some people straight...
  9. J

Female Vocals: Stunning Recordings You Love

Beautiful. And keeping things Scottish-Eddi Reader.One of the greatest singers on the planet in my opinion.
  10. J

Master Thread: Are measurements Everything or Nothing?

They have told me. One sold off everything he could. Another one has talked about doing the same. Another has switched to big horn loaded speakers which are coloured but which he finds involving -and they are. Of course people tire of all sorts of systems and desire change for its own sake.But...
  11. J

Well it is actually more like preferences plural.Applied to four different system in two different rooms.I gave up chasing "perfection" years ago but I have certainly been down the accuracy road .I just found it awfully boring and restricting after a while.I have friends who have gone a long way...
  12. J

I am sure the listeners in the group test that I still have would appreciate your thoughts on their professionalism and suitability for the job. They included- Andy Whittle-Head of Design at Rogers U.K.Now back at Rogers Andy Sargeant-Designer at Audio Innovations and now owner of Pure Sound...
  13. J

I subscribed to Hi Fi Choice magazine during a period of years in which they performed unsighted group reviews of products using a panel of experienced staff .These tests were performed in a dedicated room.All products were also professionally measured and those results were published together...
  14. J

This is the best post I have seen on the topic- Not objectivity per se but naïve objectivity such as: We can measure an impossibly high sinad so that must be best but with absolutely no correlation whatsoever to how it sounds to real people that have some experience in listening...
  15. J

What is the worst speaker you've ever heard?

JBL Century L100.A tweeter that sounds like an arc welder and no crossover on the 12 inch woofer.Nasty and coarse sounding and yet some people seem to love them-with them placed upside down on the floor!Maybe getting the tweeter as far away from your ear was the reason for that.
  16. J

Message to golden-eared audiophiles posting at ASR for the first time...

What is it like to live an anechoic chamber?I have heard it can be a bit unsettling.
  17. J

Yes I agree that tests and comparisons done outside of a familiar acoustic environment using unfamiliar speakers are pretty pointless.That especially applies to areas of performance like imaging.The influential fundamental being the speakers,their electrical behaviour, and how they react with...
  18. J

They compare very well.I have tried state of the art modern DACs which do not sound as good as that CD player.Nor as good as my Krell and Accuphase DACs from the same era.Some of the best sounding electronics I have heard [FM Acoustics and Metaxas preamp and Dartzeel and Threshold power amps...
  19. J

The blind tests involved sources and amplifiers .One even tuners.I have some of the magazines from that era which contain and describe those tests.
  20. J

Hi Fi Choice ran monthly group tests of all sorts of audio components for many years.They were conducted by a very experienced team of their reviewers /writers and and involved multiple unsighted listening sessions from which ratings and comments were compiled.The products were also...
Top Bottom