Search results

1. KaLam1ty

Your Desktop Audio Setup?

The one I have is a motor operated Uplift. I've only had it for a month now, so I don't have a definitive opinion on long-term physical improvements. But I really like it. The goal for these desks isn't to become standing all day, but as a tool to give you more than a static position to be in...
  2. KaLam1ty

Your Desktop Audio Setup?

I'd been meaning to fill the cave basement with more stuff to reduce the reverberant effects with the 8361A set-up. I initially wanted it more an entertainment space, but never found a moment in the two years when to make that happen. So I just up'd and bought a standing desk, moved all my...
  3. KaLam1ty

Genelec 8361A Review (Powered Monitor)

I know it doesn't apply to every use case, but it's worth mentioning that GLM also incredibly low latency. Or rather, the digital processing is seemingly "baked" into the smart monitors and adding GLM adds a negligible (if any) amount of latency. Genelec also spec's the delay with/without EPL...
  4. KaLam1ty

Genelec 8351B Review (Studio Monitor)

It's not just that. It's the capability and ability of having some actual neutral baseline to work with.. in a multitude of environments, arrangement possibilities, and whatever variables. If someone wants to color their sound in some way, they can achieve that certain sound because they know...
  5. KaLam1ty

Minidsp SHD Review Updated (DSP, DAC & Streamer)

I've always wondered about this review point, so I've always kept mine below 6.5 out of paranoia. But that makes a lot of sense. Feels good to keep it at 0.0 now, certainly for my OCD lol.
  6. KaLam1ty

Minidsp SHD Review Updated (DSP, DAC & Streamer)

Mine is left on 24/7 and very slightly warm to the touch. Never any noise though.
  7. KaLam1ty

Genelec 8330A Review (Studio Monitor)

Yep, I can confirm it works just fine for domestic setting. I currently do this with my MiniDSP SHD Coax Out to the 8361A's and have had zero issues. I remember discussing this concern directly with Paul from Genelec and he mentioned it's a common solution that is totally fine. There should be...
  8. KaLam1ty

Genelec setups in living rooms [how to]

nope. edit: ok lol. to be less cheeky with a 1 word answer.. Lower end extension is not an issue for me (the room hits 23Hz). The only reason I would need a sub would be to tame a small room mode and dip from left ceiling boundary reflections. But as for where I would put the sub, I'm not...
  9. KaLam1ty

Genelec setups in living rooms [how to]

Been a while since I shared anything, but here's my moody basement bunker -- just reaching a year since I got the 8361's all together. Frankly, it's still more-or-less the same. Haven't a reason to change anything lol.
  10. KaLam1ty

Genelec 8351B Review (Studio Monitor)

FWIW, Genelec measurements are anechoic response, too. My 8361A's also hit ~23Hz @ -6dB from room gain. So in my experience, low end-extension isn't really a problem (especially for music); more so, it is various room influences that might cause some dips. Subs could definitely help flatten...
  11. KaLam1ty

This kind of authoritative input, commenting when you have no personal comparative experience on the matter, is not helpful and amounts to misguidance. We're trying to discuss why there is a preference for the sound or what is the cause of it. @outfaced Regarding the "lack" of high end...
  12. KaLam1ty

Akai GX-620 Reel to Reel Tape Deck Measurements

These are absolutely beautiful machines. I have the GX-625 model as well and it's a standout conversation piece (an eye distraction from the Genelecs too, thankfully lol). I don't have much "official" media to play on it, but they're fun and quite mesmerizing to play around with.. making...
  13. KaLam1ty

When the music is super loud, it does, yea. I just move it away when I'm in party mode. I sometimes play through the monitors though. I keep one there and by my desk for motivation. Else, I find myself never picking them up when out of sight. All of my acoustic stuff are cased up though...
  14. KaLam1ty

Amusingly, try looking around for large counter stools. I believe these "stools" were from a clearance at Target, of all things. The feets also coupled right into my carpet-concrete floor and I've yet to notice any issues with them. The good thing about stools is that they often come with load...
  15. KaLam1ty

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to remove those two large dips on the right corner (it moves around even with my tests in changing speaker and listening position), so it's a room mode or some combination of my room asymmetry and the ceiling. I'll probably get subs to deal with those...
  16. KaLam1ty

Their looks will forever be jarring to me too :p, but they've kind of grown on me a bit. Still kind of "plastic" looking, but... having solo carried them down a flight of stairs, I know very well they can kill a person haha. Regarding the summation measurement, it's part of the GRADE report...
  17. KaLam1ty

tl;dr, my 8361A's sounded great in farfield, but also excelled in closer positions. Figured I'd share a few recent updates and experience with my set-up, as this is relevant to the "near/farfield discussions". Since the introduction of the GRADE report, I've been messing around with a few...
  18. KaLam1ty

suggestion for an RPi music server+player

Another one here on the piCorePlayer + Material UI train. I find it to be the most robust platform, with very little latency and usability issues with UI/UX. It's very quick to operate and feels very much like a native app, despite being web operated. I found both Moode and Volumio absolutely...
  19. KaLam1ty

I can assure you I've considered all of this and more when putting my space together. If there's anything else I'd prioritize my spending on right now, it's fitting additional room treatment.
  20. KaLam1ty

My 8361a's go down to ~23Hz @ -6dB with room gain. So low end extension isn't as much a concern. But if I were to integrate subs, it would be for covering room related issues - dips and such. Honestly, my main concern with adding subs is how much actual physical space the larger ones would take...
Top Bottom