Search results

1. F

Advice needed: classical music, budget ~$30k

I have KEF R7's in my big, asymmetrically open, and untreated room and I love them. I don't have any "sweet spot" issues at all; the R3's have been shown to have 50-ish degree horizontal dispersion. I don't toe mine in at all and I get a huge soundstage in multiple spots on my couch. I do cross...
  2. F

Subwoofer upgrade.....Decisions, Decisions....Please Help!

I have a single TV2112 in my setup (20x20x20 room that's open to kitchen, dining room, and an upstairs landing) and I can tell you that it does not lack for output. I'll plug PSA here, I know they're not cheap (or light) but I the value proposition is in the crazy amounts of output you get...
  3. F

Drop Dan Clark Audio Aeon Closed X

I've had about a week with my pair and figured I'd do a quick write up on my experience and thoughts: 1) Equipment/Method: Amp = Topping L30 w/ volume matching by ear to the best of my ability Source/DAC = PC (I'll get the E30 eventually; I doubt it will do much other than look nice sitting on...
  4. F

Can useful knowledge be gained via subjectivity?

I almost entirely agree with you, but think it's important to bring up a parable from food consumer sensory. There you pretty much have to start with subjective data, with a large sample size consumer likeness test. Then you try to drill down and see why one product is preferred over another...
  5. F

Drop Dan Clark Audio Aeon Closed X

Just ordered a pair of these while they were still on sale from Drop, alongside a Topping L30 to drive them. Everything should be here on Monday; I'll be sure to try the different EQ profiles and post any thoughts/impressions. These will essentially replace a pair or Grado sr-125e's that I...
  6. F

PEQ Preamp Filter Question

Perfectly explained, thank you!
  7. F

PEQ Preamp Filter Question

I have just recently gotten Equalizer Apo set up on my PC as I previously have mostly used Wavelet on my phone for headphone listening. I'm using a PEQ filter set found here. I noticed pretty much all of these have preamp filters around -6.0 db. I was just curious if, say, my headphones aren't...
  8. F

They say speaker cables do not matter ..

This is exactly how consumer sensory science works in the food industry. If a company develops a new product they first do a massive blind Consumer Liking test to see if people respond to the new product better than existing ones. Sample sizes are large to leverage statistical inference. If...
  9. F

Dual SVS SB-3000 or Dual PSA S1512 ?

Thanks for the detailed response, as I mentioned earlier in this thread my PSA TV2112 (non-IPAL) has been more than adequate for music and home theater in my very open 1st floor space. I was just trying to sort of piece together how all of these components work together. I do think if I ever put...
  10. F

This is purely for my comprehension of the physics here but if you took two of these 'pro audio' B&C drivers of differing sizes, would the larger one be capable of producing lower extension via larger air displacement at the same excursion? Or would the larger size also just add to SPL...
  11. F

Disclaimer: I own a PSA TV2112 and love it dearly. I personally would choose PSA over SVS but that is ENTIRELY subjective and I think SVS still makes great subs. With regards to cross-shopping the PSA with the Hsu, I would honestly just reach out to Tom with PSA and give him your room details...
  12. F

Sanity check for new speaker purchase

I would recommend Power Sound Audio to anyone looking for a subgrade. I think Tom is doing great work over there to push the limits of extension with minimal distortion and the customer service is unrivaled. I ended up with this monster after also getting advice on forums that big spaces are...
  13. F

I think what I need to do is get the old Pioneer boxes (that I paid a cool $50 for like 10 years ago as a broke college student) hooked up and EQ'd. If I can stand that, then it's save up for the foreseeable future. If not...well maybe that $500-$1000 USD per pair may be where I'm looking. I do...
  14. F

Thanks a ton for the perspective and clarification; I'm glad I double checked before moving forward. The F208s may be a little far off in terms of budget practicality but it gives me something to aim for in the next few years. I know this is going against my own advice from above, but would the...
  15. F

I mean I did have it 3rd in my list of sought after qualities but those weren't necessarily in priority order, just generally. Should have been more specific though. Sorry I was super ambiguous here as well. I did just mean smooth/even horizontal dispersion of about +/- 50 degrees without any...
  16. F

Hi all, lurked for awhile and have been educating myself on the science and sort of overall process here. My (very old and trash) towers just died and I'll be looking to replace them soon. I used them as fronts in my living room in a 7.1 setup where I also do a lot of 2.1 music listening. Big...
Top Bottom