Search results

1. AllenW

Pass ACA Class A Power Amplifier Review

I got a clone mono pair of those on aliexpress for about $500 shipped and they sound excellent.
  2. AllenW

Denafrips ARES II USB R2R DAC Review

I guess audio is the only product on earth that price has nothing to do with it. It's all a big scam.
  3. AllenW

I'm not loaded myself and only own a Few moderately high end things I'm just not under any delusional that budget gear can compete with hi end stuff. that ludicrous.
  4. AllenW

I guess I found out how to get more people involved in the conversation.
  5. AllenW

Okay...take it easy. I'm just stirring the pot.
  6. AllenW

I think I understand how this works. Measurements are all that matters regardless of price or anything else. If a $500 DAC measures as good as a $50,000 DAC they must sound exactly the same. This is starting to sound a forum for people who can't afford hi end audio trying to convince themselves...
  7. AllenW

The topping D70 and the Gustard X22 are very good measuring DAC's and by your logic should sound the same yet they sound obviously different. The Topping sounds boring in comparison. The Gustard sounds like it's in a much larger room than it is. It sounds like things are way behind the speakers...
  8. AllenW

There's that and I Can change op amps in the gustard. I put burson v6 vivid in it and it appeared to widen the soundstage I was actually surprised with the pre90. I got the P26 first and expected it to sound better considering how much better The X22 is compared to the d70. In fact the Pre90...
  9. AllenW

True but even when used in pure Dac mode most still go through an output stage. There is a review of the P26 on here and it measured very good. At least on the XLR outputs. I actually am running the Topping D70 in DAC mode through the Pre90 and it does sound better than the internal pre in the DAC.
  10. AllenW

I have the Pre90 as well. I can't really hear any difference between them.
  11. AllenW

No, because of the preamp being better than what comes included in budget dacs.
  12. AllenW

I see your point. The ares has no output stage, it comes straight off the resistor network to the outputs. I'm basically having to add my own by going into a pre but I am adding a much better one than would be included in any DAC at this price point. The Gustard was about about the same price as...
  13. AllenW

you have to pair the denafrips with the right preamp to make it sound right. It has high output impedance. If not matched well it will roll off the highs. It sounds very good with the Gustard P26.
  14. AllenW

I Think my journey has ended other than maybe going up higher in the Denafrips line of dacs or maybe halo.
  15. AllenW

Maybe you should get a Denafrips and listen to it then maybe you could argue from an informed perspective. Otherwise you're just trolling.
  16. AllenW

I guess if realistic = distortion then yes I Prefer distortion.
  17. AllenW

I guess if there is distortion it's below what I can hear. I'm not saying there isn't any but if I Can't hear it does it matter?
  18. AllenW

In fact the only records I've heard that are as good from a sonic standpoint are London records.
  19. AllenW

Really? How many Japanese records do you own? Mine sound excellent. The only difference I've noticed is they have nearly zero wear on them.
Top Bottom