Search results

1. 1

What headphone(s) do you own ?

In order of acquisition: - AKG K271 Studio (original mk1 version, broken) - AKG K240 Sextett (broken) - Koss Porta Pro (broken) - Thomann t.bone (forgot exact model, broken) - Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro (250 ohms variant) - Beyerdynamic DT-1770 Pro - Shure SRH1540 The K271s were my first...
  2. 1

MOTU M4 Loopback Measurements

I finally ran this test on my unit which is either a rev2 or rev3, probably rev2. I'd open it check which chips it's actually using right now, but I don't have the correct bit for those hexagon head screws without buying one first. Seems I have the exact same problem as @isabido, and I did...
  3. 1

Motu M4 Audio Interface Review

If you read the manual, I don't think it says anywhere that inputs 1-2 are supposed to be used as line inputs only if using XLR connectors. In fact, it says the exact opposite on page 17: I'd say it's actually more likely that people will want to use phone plugs to connect line level devices...
  4. 1

Have you tested rev1 also to verify it's any better? Well, for what it's worth: I've noticed that capturing audio from an old Roland synth I have via inputs 1-2 sounds off. The synth outputs single ended line level signals only. I think consumer level too instead of professional, it's too quiet...
  5. 1

Yeah if you already used your serial it probably doesn't matter much. Interesting, I ordered from them almost a year ago and already got something newer. Is the copyright date on bottom also something else than "2019-2021" or "2020, 2019"? Maybe "2019" only? Rev1 measures very sligtly worse in...
  6. 1

Not Gzom, but for what it's worth: my M4 is slightly different, copyright date is "2020, 2019" instead of "2019-2021". I bought it from Thomann summer last year. Had to wait for 2-3 weeks before they got some stock. (and after I got mine they almost immediately ran out of stock again and the...
  7. 1

It seems the newer revisions mostly measure (slightly) better, but apparently rev1 can achieve lower latencies without glitching at least on some host systems. https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/motu-m4-audio-interface-review.15757/page-29#post-1103400...
  8. 1

From personal experience I'd say the HP amp on M4 works fine with some 250 ohms nominal headphones (Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro and DT-1770 Pro). Can't notice anything obvious wrong with the sound quality (well anything you couldn't blame on the 'phones themselves...) and volume is loud enough with...
  9. 1

I'm not sure about streaming services since I don't really use those myself, but CD quality is and has always been 44100Hz. Hi-res audio (which some streaming & download services offer) is often 96000Hz. I think it is very likely you're getting 44100Hz from Spotify so that's the setting you...
  10. 1

Okay, since no one else will probably satisfy my "intellectual curiosity" and I had a couple of hours to waste, I decided to test my non-XMOS MOTU M4 in Windows 7, this time running on bare metal. Conclusion: If you disable driver signature enforcement (very easy, just run "bcdedit /set...
  11. 1

No, it's not really important to me. I don't use Win7 anymore. I just strongly suspect that even Win7 holdouts don't really need to go out of their way to find a XMOS-based M4 unit if they are willing to use drivers without a digital signature accepted by Win7. It'd certainly be interesting to...
  12. 1

Yeah, I don't like what Windows became after Win7 either. Just wanted to say that attempting to stick with Win7 forever isn't really a good solution, eventually nothing will work anymore and the chance of getting exploited becomes a serious concern. Another thing I wanted to say is that I...
  13. 1

I seriously doubt the third revision will have official driver support for Windows 7 either. Why would MOTU support Win7 when even MS doesn't support it anymore? Don't like modern Windows and where it's headed? Ditch Windows already and switch to another OS entirely. With that said, I think it...
  14. 1

MOTU UltraLite-mk5 Review (Audio Interface)

Hah, well yeah, a long time ago I was using a MX510 mouse from Logitech and was a bit pissed they refused to release Win7 compatible drivers for it (probably even just Vista compatible would have been good enough to function in Win7). Forcibly installing the WinXP version of MX510 MouseWare made...
  15. 1

Steinberg UR22C and UR242 definitely do (I personally know people with these), but functionality is limited compared to the proper drivers of course. There are other devices from other manufacturers which also work on some level in Windows without the proper drivers. Without MOTU's driver, the...
  16. 1

Motu M4 - Tear down, bit of internals analysis and few in-house measurements

I guess software teardown belongs here as much as hardware? I don't know if this is very interesting, but I noticed MSeriesLib.dll from MOTU's Windows driver package seems to provide more functionality than the included very basic control/status applet (MOTUMSeries.exe) exposes. You can get...
  17. 1

How old was the product at that point? Just a few years? (and yeah ideally companies should at least release the specs so somebody else can write drivers if they aren't updating their own drivers for an old product anymore... but that almost never happens)
  18. 1

Advice for Audio interface with SPDIF in/out

That's still a bit more than I'd like to pay (139€ at Thomann). I was hoping there would be something from China for this despite me failing to find anything at AliExpress yet. For all I care, the ADC/DAC functionality can be hot garbage or non-existent as long as SPDIF to computer via USB works...
  19. 1

Advice for Audio interface with SPDIF in/out

Is there something out there which is cheap yet good, preferably very small with ONLY a single SPDIF input? I had to retire my old FireWire audio interface (since FW is dead), and its USB replacement unfortunately doesn't have any SPDIF inputs, so currently if I want to capture SPDIF sources, I...
  20. 1

Sure, no official support, but my M4 works fine in Linux (the M2 should too), and it seems people with @motu.com email addresses have even talked with the Linux kernel devs and sent patches on occasion. As for the UltraLites, going by comments on the web it seems they also work, but people have...
Top Bottom