Search results

1. C

Best 'Bang for your buck' IEM - Poll

Great post !!! Love the comment about small differences across broad ranges—it also align with this theory (from the “critical bands” work) that we hear by roughly 1/3 octaves. One thing I have noted is that when I actually use my gear to enjoy music (and not the other way around like I do way...
  2. C

A Call For Humor!

April 25th !!! :cool::cool::cool:
  3. C

Reliability and build quality of Chinese Vs. Western Amps and DACs? Can you reliably get 15+ years out of a Topping Stack? Or SMSL? Singxer?

Conspiracy theory #3278: in 13 years, Schiit buys Topping, SMSL, Singxer, etc. Conspiracy theory #5723: in 14 years, China invades and annexes “the West”. So, the answer to your question is an absolute ‘yes’…??? :p Reliability/durability is mostly defined as a function of usage (hours)...
  4. C

Break from Tekton Thread

Another one in the “couldn’t make it up” category: there is this guy in Utah, who’s brain has developed a condition named ALS (auto-litigation syndrome). It’s also caused by post-intestinal problems—excessive chuffing-like sound when the bottom feet plug is not installed. I think it has been...
  5. C

I’ll pass this one: 1. I’m not sure I trust KZ/CCA enough to deliver quality worth the price point, and 2. I’m not sure what a $130 IEM brings that can’t be had with say a $50 or even $25 IEM. And if it is only to “taste” a new tuning flavor, then that’s too much money for me. EDIT - Side...
  6. C

I’m not sure if the false drivers story is entirely true… Poor QC, absolutely! Some of these false drivers (BAs) were actually plugged by glue, other were not soldered correctly or at all. And as for the very small measurable impact of these drivers in some case… yes, no different from any...
  7. C

I probably have a few dozens of KZ & CCA IEMs. To me they are the "fast fashion" brand of IEMs: each one is a different combination of look, shape, technology, FR, etc. Some I like..., other... not so much... But when KZ does it right, each new IEM is like discovering a new flavor of my...
  8. C

Fit is indeed a very important characteristic for IEMs, and the ear tip is a significant part of it. Getting a good seal (no leak) is the first goal, and what works for an individual may not work for another individual. Beyond that, I am not sure the ear tip material & geometry are that...
  9. C

Sonic Lamb Headphone with Subwoofer Review

Nura has been purchased by Denon. Even if the Nuraphone has been discontinued, it should be viewed as a positive, denoting interest from the industry toward these haptic technologies…
  10. C

Sonic Lamb Headphone with Subwoofer Review

Similar idea but different execution, the (discontinued) Nuraphone: Although it looks like a headphones, it’s more a IEM/HP combo with the “shaker” in the headphones part. There are a few IEMs with haptic drivers as well.
  11. C

Neutron Hifi DAC V1

Tks… Missed that page! :cool:
  12. C

Countering misinformation about AutoEQ

Is it only because of the dive below 40Hz, or is partially due to very low freq. being “felt” more than “heard”—something a headphone can’t really reproduce anyway? I mean HP can go that low, but they ain’t gonna rattle your whole torso…
  13. C

Neutron Hifi DAC V1

From the (excellent!) user manual, it appears to offer 2x digital filter options and individual L/R H2 & H3 THD compensation adjustments: in the ESS family, this looks very much like an ES9219 DAC/Amp… Now for the mic ADC… using one of the Cortex M4 ADC? Another (separate) chip?
  14. C

Neutron Hifi DAC V1

Yes... The latest 5K FW offers multiple options to manage EQ. One of the most interesting one (IMO) is where the EQ is divided in two groups: A group of 10x PEQ (called "Speaker") that is specific to the Headphones/IEMs/Speaker you EQ. That group can be 10x PEQ applied to L & R or 10x L PEQ...
  15. C

Tekton style like tweeter array good idea?

In the hypothetical situation where an ASR member was to build a copy of a patented Tekton speaker to evaluate that patent further, wouldn’t it be considered “fair use”? I mean as long as it is not sold for profit…
  16. C

Is it a case where two IEMs measuring very close on a given test fixture may, due to different acoustic impedance, sound slightly different on another test fixture, and different again on your own ears? Not huge differences, but enough to be noticeable?
  17. C

Topping G5 Review (Portable DAC & HP Amp)

If I’m not mistaken, the G5 comes in two versions (besides the color): a standard “type-C” version, and a “lightning” version (+$20). The “lightning” version includes a USB-C to lightning cable: is this the one you got? You said you tried different cables without success: did you try that...
  18. C

Proposal: Right to Fair Review (RFR) Association

Subjective ???? I think we need more objective testing, with some clearly delineated subjective opinions.
  19. C

Tekton M-Lore Speaker Review

Interestingly, with the addition of computer-controlled turntables the Audiomatica CLIO and CLIO Pocket can generate an ANSI/CEA 2034A-compliant Spinorama plot using a Scilab script: https://www.audiomatica.com/wp/?p=3535 If they have 5 of these, Mr. Alexander should at least know what a...
Top Bottom