Search results

1. R

Do room acoustics influence sound that leaks to neighbors?

In a hypothectical case, say you have a room that has certain room acoustics. Will the sound spectrum that leaks to your neighbors be impact by the room? If there is a resonance at 60 Hz, for example, would the sound on the other side of the wall have this same peak? Or is the sound that leaks...
  2. R

How to measure / interpret volume attenuation to neighbors

Adding some real world scene to the test is indeed a good idea. Also for myself to get an idea of what they might hear. Thanks. And indeed, I agree, it just matters what they hear. I'd just like to have something to go by. It's difficult to gauge absolute volume when watching a dynamic movie. So...
  3. R

Thanks already for the replies! So if I understand you all: - The internal noise of the UMIK 1 is too high to actually measure the dB drop in the wall accurately (unless I would turn up the volume in my place extremely loud until there is enough headroom to measure)? So better to do it by ear...
  4. R

I've moved into a new place and will set up a home cinema room. I want to make sure we don't disturb the neighbors and they are willing to let me do some measurements. Before I do this, I want to make sure I'm measuring the correct thing. My current plan is to generate pink noise at sufficient...
  5. R

TOPPING MX3s

I would also be very interested in a review of the MX3s. Looking for a DAC / Amplifier combo and a Wiim Mini for a small living room system. The MX3s also has an auto on/off feature, which is quite nice. Then you can just control the Wiim from you phone and not worry about turning the amp on/off.
  6. R

Wall between neighbors thick enough, or do I need more insulation?

Thanks for the replies already. This is a European house, and there is no drywall / studs in between. It's just a 15cm thick stone wall (silicate) on the outside of my house, the same on the outside of the neighbouring house. And between them is a 2cm separation filled with insulation. My...
  7. R

Wall between neighbors thick enough, or do I need more insulation?

Soon I'll be moving into a new house where I want to set up a home theater. The house has direct neighbors on both sides, but is relatively new (built +-10y ago). Between the me and the neighbors, there is 2x 15cm silicate stone (1750kg/m3) separated by 2 cm mineral wool insulation. The sound...
  8. R

Wiim Mini DAC vs external

My current situation is that I am used to a NAD C352 amplifier powering Dynaudio 160 speakers. My Denon x3700h is used as preamp/HDMI DAC / Spotify connect device. The sound there is good. For a second room I have Q Acoustics 3030i speakers. 99% will be Spotify Connect, maybe some local FlACs...
  9. R

So if I understand it correctly -84dB noise would be maybe be audible, depending on setup, -140dB would certainly be not? When blind A/B listening, what would you listen for? Just "a difference"?
  10. R

I have some confusion about information I find on this site. On one side, in the Wiim Mini review the internal DAC is seen as not good (84dB). But on the other hand others mention that noise at -84dB cannot be heard. Is there a real-world difference between a 140dB DAC and the Wiim DAC? Or do...
  11. R

Fosi Audio V3 Amplifier Review

And is some second hand class AB amplifier (like Yamaha A-S301) generally a better amplifier than these cheaper class D ones?
  12. R

Fosi Audio V3 Amplifier Review

I currently have Q Acoustics 3030i speakers, are these "easy to drive" with an amp like this? Or will the load dependence influence the sound too much?
  13. R

Simple streamer / amp in 2023

I want to have a simple budget set up in my living room for background music and occasional listening sitting down. I have the Q Acoustics 3030i speakers and looking for the rest. My current idea is getting the upcoming Fosi v3 amplifier, adding a Wiim Mini and maybe buying a second hand dac...
  14. R

Fosi Audio V3 amplifier discussion

This seems like it has the same chip inside as the TB10D. What is the difference between them?
  15. R

Identify and fix crackling sound from pc to receiver

Thanks for all the responses! In the mean time I removed the old wiring and properly wired that outlet with a ground / earth connection. I haven't used the PC very often, but it seems like the noise is almost gone. It's still there, but seemingly much softer.
  16. R

My point about there being II class I (I incorrectly used 1 & 2 before) appliances means that there is a "loop" that forms with the grounds: PC ground -> HDMI -> AVR (Class II, unearthed) -> Subwoofer amp (earthed) -> Back to PC through the earth wire. If this loop is broken, the EMI noise goes...
  17. R

Thanks for the responses already! I've done some further investigation: PSU is properly connected to the metal of the case (PSU earth continuity to metal screws) I'm using uncompressed surround sound, so optical is not an option. I've identified a potential ground loop: there are 2 class 1...
  18. R

I have an AV setup with a Denon X3700H AVR connected to a TV and an Nvidia Shield which works without issues. The moment I connect my desktop PC to the AVR through HDMI, a crackling sound starts coming through my speakers. This sound comes out regardless of the selected input or volume level on...
  19. R

When do you need a higher power amplifier?

Super useful information, thanks! I have a UMIK-1, so I'll make sure to measure it. There is something unclear to me about the speaker sensitivity rating. It says [email protected]/1M. On their website I find just "85dB", which I assume is into 4 Ohm (which is their impedance). The NAD outputs 80W...
Top Bottom