Search results

1. G

Can anyone explain the vinyl renaissance?

Clearly, ASR has fallen to the distorters and this thread is proof. Time to move on?
  2. G

does anyone listen to Taylor Swift? tell me what the draw is

I've tried... but her songs seem to uniformly condense pretty much every trait I dislike in modern pop in a simple, hard to digest package. So, I just presume she's very good at those things and that's why she's popular. I like bagpipe music though, so you can ignore me as any kind of judge of...
  3. G

Can I be just nuts?

So, welcome to one of the little secrets of audio. There's far less to improve, if your conventional stereo system at any price (no matter how low!) consists of decent equipment, properly matched and properly setup, than most people believe. Sure, you can upgrade to a bigger or better room...
  4. G

Am I mad? Judge me...and leave a recommendation.

I'm sure that qualifies. I can hardly talk... I only have one pair of speakers, so I'm obviously not serious myself. Just keep that between us, I'd hate to ruin what little reputation I might have here :D
  5. G

You forgot the biscuit tin full of cartridges. I remember being told at one hifi show, many years ago, that anybody serious had a biscuit tin full of cartridges, and anybody knowledgeable knew which eight of them were the same model rebadged...
  6. G

Can I just accept the invitation to judge, agree that you are in fact mad, and recommend you leave well alone? ;)
  7. G

If Bits are Bits

Whoever has a doubt probably won't experience it. I certainly don't. I just checked, CDs against EAC rips of the same CDs, so that I could definitely say that. (USB drive, before you ask). Maybe my overpriced player isn't resolving enough, or something. And I bet your seller of CD players...
  8. G

And apart from the fact that digital tools can be used to alleviate some faults in vinyl playback… who exactly is disputing this? Most of the actual quoted examples through this thread are good digital recordings transferred to vinyl.
  9. G

which amp would be "better"

If we can't collectively apply the principles to practical questions, what the hell use are we? Especially so, given that a core activity of this place is measurement , review and recommendation of devices by our host and others with sufficient knowlege and equipment. It is always going to be a...
  10. G

which amp would be "better"

Whose answers are you complaining about? Mine were particular, I posted links to measurements, and declined to firmly recommend where good measurements weren't available. Others questioned the woo aspects of the responses and one of the amps with the bits of wood, and brought up Class D. We...
  11. G

While I'm strongly tempted to agree with you on the matter, presenting a lack of dislike of vinyl on vinyl forums as the case against a group of people turning away from vinyl... doesn't really work. There will be people who will try and dislike vinyl: I doubt most of them show up anywhere to...
  12. G

My original assertion that was answered with the lactose mutation was that humans did not evolve to better understand pre-digital media because only part of tbe population encountered it until recent times, The point about apostrophes is partly a joke, but makes the point, I feel.
  13. G

Digital Volume Infinite Encoders slow and need many rotations. Why is that?

It does, rather, doesn't it? I saw you talked about mixing earlier but didn't pick up on it.
  14. G

If it's a problem for you, it's a problem. I'm not sure what to advise though. That seems extreme to me. I touch the volume control very rarely. Have you always felt that need? I can't imagine the circumstances that require that many changes.
  15. G

How much of that volume range do you use on a regular basis anyway? I've had two integrated amps where I don't think I ever actually turned the volume control by more than five degrees, that range being from too quiet to too loud, and spent a lot of time trying to get the volume right.
  16. G

Is it audiophoolia to care about SINAD differences which have no correlation in blind listening tests? H2/H3 distortion 'enriches the sound'?

Actually, it takes a hell of a lot to make all other things equal. And as a subjectivist, I see no reason why somebody who likes gear with poor SINAD that does in fact alter the sound (vinyl, anybody?) shouldn't own it. Never mind objectivism, it isn't my subjective preference (though I may...
  17. G

Is it audiophoolia to care about SINAD differences which have no correlation in blind listening tests? H2/H3 distortion 'enriches the sound'?

Caring that is combative is also the basis under which social progress has been made in our societies. I'd like to expand on that thought, but it becomes politics which we don't do here.
  18. G

Indeed, my reaction was to your post, not the book. If I defend that reaction, it doesn't mean that I'm attacking the book, either. Nor am I going to deny a very long past of our having spoken language, something that has not (except maybe as art) been restricted to a small section of society...
  19. G

This looks like you are completely ignoring the Harman research that many at this site hold up as the gold standard, and is also based on controlled preference studies in humans. Or indeed the research that led to perceptual lossy codecs, also based on what people actually hear. Or lots of...
  20. G

Though, of course, SINAD is also a broad brush. Let's take for example two hypothetical amps with SINAD of 80, except that amp A's SINAD may be low entirely because of second and third harmonic distortion, while amp B's issues may be noise and seventh harmonic. Two such amps could sound quite...
Top Bottom