Search results

1. Pugsly

Testing Open Power Cord interference in Interconnect Cables (video)

Huh, what is that speaker on @amirm 's left shoulder that is just about touching his hand? In all seriousness, I think it would be good to just outright begin the video with a fair-use clip, and then respond directly by saying that you are using this as an opportunity to explain/educate. Danny's...
  2. Pugsly

Why is louder always better/preferred

Given the Fletcher-Munson curve, i.e., that hearing at different spl is non-linear, I have begun to wonder how much preferences in speakers, etc. is affected by the preferred volume level of a listener. Is this another uncontrolled variable in this hobby (given that we have no idea how loud the...
  3. Pugsly

How to level match/fast switch (required hardware?)

Hi, Got it - two resistors one for L one for R - I can definitely figure that out! Would the same effect be reproduced simply by eq-ing in an extra 1dB in that range? If you are willing to draw some instructions for testing, and it would be easy to do, I would love it (and maybe someone else...
  4. Pugsly

Hi, (1) You are one of the nicest dudes around! (2) Yes, I did the speedball upgrade (3) You are massively overestimating my 'skillz' (as the kids say...) Thus, I can look up the parts you mention, but would not be certain that I was looking at the right things, and would have no idea how to...
  5. Pugsly

Hi All, So, I built a bottlehead crack with speedball, and have a JDS labs EL2 on hand. Fun build, but now I would like to be able to AB (or even ABX) test my two units against each other. I 'feel' like I might be able to hear some difference, but have very little faith in short-term audio...
  6. Pugsly

[HELP] I can't hear difference between SS and tube amp using HD800

What would be the easiest way to level-match and ab switch? I have the bottlehead on hand, a jds element 2, and HD 6xx. Also have a volt/ohm meter and a mini dsp umik1 if that matters... So, what additional equipment would I need running from a laptop? Recommendations?
  7. Pugsly

Emulate sound signature of McIntosh amp using a Topping PA5

Ok, let me rephrase, because I will admit the 'too', but not that there are not many who believe are paying for looks and nostalgia alone. More, I suggest that most would not be at least a little cheesed if something they payed many thousands, or tens of thousands, or hundreds of thousands of...
  8. Pugsly

Challenge for Objectivists: Bottlehead crack emulation (w/ Sennheiser HD6XX)

Hi Captain, Your trout mask looks dapper, (even if it is a mere replica...)! I have certainly heard that some (usually very expensive) tube amplifiers can sound identical to SS, but had not head that triodes were inherently less distorting... although I was aware that SS use negative feedback...
  9. Pugsly

Emulate sound signature of McIntosh amp using a Topping PA5

Sure, but I'm willing to guess that most people who buy this kind of gear – gear whose purpose, at the end of the day, is to create sound– don't think that they are buying looks and nostalgia. If this stuff was only sold as jewelry or as the equivalent of high-priced boutique purses, I wouldn't...
  10. Pugsly

Can you give us an insight / test of THE ULTIMA SIGNATURE MAT by Marigo please Mr Amirm

Somehow, your final sentence called to mind the title of this film. And the final line of this clip captures the thrill of catching that wonderful last x% of audio nirvana that audiophiles speak about 'to perfection.' Speaking of which, am I the only person who finds it annoying when people...
  11. Pugsly

Can you give us an insight / test of THE ULTIMA SIGNATURE MAT by Marigo please Mr Amirm

I don't think Amir needs to review this. The answer is that your friend was conned by a company that sells multi-thousand dollar cables and power cords (and those are the items that are at least capable of doing something useful, albeit at best no better than far cheaper options!) Then again...
  12. Pugsly

Yes, 'steal' is indeed the word. "For maximum fidelity, a subtle but audible further sonic enhancement is achieved by orienting the Aida CD Mat in relation to the direction of the label on the recorded disc being played." -Wait, what...? But the disk is spinning and... the label is on the...
  13. Pugsly

Suggestions for first Mid-Fi listening system?

Glad you are enjoying the 6xx! I purchased mine last year and really enjoy them. There are lots of very well-measuring pieces of equipment out there at this price point depending on your priorities. Do you want a dac/amp combo, or a stack? Do you want particular connections, balanced...
  14. Pugsly

Master Thread: Are measurements Everything or Nothing?

Imagine that you had spent years and an obscene amount of money on something, and then were told that you could likely produce an indiscernible result by changing something that is trivially inexpensive. Imagine, further, that you had spent years justifying your decision to others and yourself...
  15. Pugsly

I had tried to give you the benefit of the doubt, as we all sometimes make posts when tired, cranky, or a few glasses of wine in, as I am right now, But please read post #20 and read between the lines. I don't disagree with you regarding the facts behind what you are saying, but the way you are...
  16. Pugsly

I appreciate why the term 'Mid-fi' evokes strong feelings. Your explanation, however, especially if directed at OP in a friendly manner that suggests that using it causes you to cringe and then explaining why it is problematic - namely because it falsely suggest that only the most expensive...
  17. Pugsly

Wow. Unless I missed something, that came across as unnecessarily rude given the tone of OP's question. @Bling Guy McSqueezy there are quite a few factors that need to be specified. What is your listening space, what do you want to pay for the entire system, and, particularly assuming your...
  18. Pugsly

Cheap DAC Preamp that measures well

Pfft, a mere 118 sinad compared to 121? I need to be sure that unicorn farts are inaudible during full moons when facing directly north and Mars is in recession...
  19. Pugsly

Cheap DAC Preamp that measures well

How about https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/smsl-m500-mkii-review-dac-hp-amp.29468/ ? No XLR in, but seems to hit all of the requirements, and moreover includes remote and headphone out, all while measuring top 8 of all DACs and for $440...
  20. Pugsly

Room Measurement Tutorial for Dummies Part 2

Sadly, no. I received a umik for Christmas, and then discovered that like other audio forums, @amirm is also full of false promises and broken dreams :eek:. In all seriousness, I would love to see part 3... Hope your water woes are solved!
Top Bottom