Search results

1. S

How Much Current is Needed & Amp Voltage

True but that's small and unknown sag will have more impact.
  2. S

How Much Current is Needed & Amp Voltage

Some do but they are rare. I like to find a schematic and see the voltage rails to figure peak clipping. Add the rail voltages times .353 square that result and divide by the load. Say the rails are plus minus 50V that would be (100x.353) squared divided by 8 = 155.7watts peak without power...
  3. S

Preamps do make a difference..

Is the Denon and HT receiver? If so have you tried it in "Direct" mode? Night and day on my Onkyo.
  4. S

New SB Gema DIY 3-way speaker design

I don't think it needs that kind of compensation especially for BR. Some guys might want that in a sealed box.
  5. S

Analog sound - in a digital world?

I enjoy a good 12" two way however with those pricings the company should be called Butt Hertz.
  6. S

Best DIY speaker type (and radiation pattern) for listening to podcasts and audio books in a large room?

I have an upcycled pair of Snell E4 that have good spoken voice clarity throughout the downstairs.
  7. S

How much power and SPL's do people actually need in their homes?

Then you found (know) just how much you need! TBO over 90% of my listening is well under 15 watts too.
  8. S

fisher BA-6000 which has 60V rails. A good way to know where an amp is at within its power limits is to scope the rail voltage and scope the signal while playing music and this doesn't take into account current draw. Also, this method mainly displays the amp's peak output signal. Determining...
  9. S

I have a power amp with both meters and a clipping indicator LED. The LED flickers while the meters are cruising at 20watts.
  10. S

It's not so much detail but the way they remixed the songs to build in loudness. School and Pigs now have an excellent layered loudness that continues to increase well into the song.
  11. S

I agree, however with some of the modern Blu-ray releases like Crime of the Century, Animals and Quebec Magnetic etc. more power is needed maybe even 1000watts. These types of releases still don't sound too loud. YMMV
  12. S

Properties of speakers that creates a large and precise soundstage

KEF had it figured in the 80s. Good on access, off access and phase response. I like to add low distortion with 3rd\odd order lower than 2nd now too. Now a days that can be done reasonably. Back in the 80s it was harder. the NS10s are an 80s design.
  13. S

Recommended amplification strategy for Parts Express Dayton UM18-22 kit?

If you can deal with the fan noise. Cheven makes some great amps that can be found used for decent cash.
  14. S

Shouldn’t we be looking more at PA speakers?

I use 90 and 110 degree horns with very good results. I like those more than Wavecore and SEAS tweeter which I still like alot too.
  15. S

Shouldn’t we be looking more at PA speakers?

Sure, JBL PRX, Cinema and SRX series are all awesome and can be had in good used condition (with patience) for a few cents on the dollar. This may be man cave gear. DIYers can make nice boxes.
  16. S

Are Super tweeters worth it?

If a person is using 2" CDs and horns they might be useful crossed 8-12khz.
  17. S

Stereo amps lacking HPF for mains in 2.1 setup… a big deal, or not?

Looking at ASR published measurements for some of the speakers we can easily see that distortion rises quickly below 100 and on some 200hz. Also, looking at ASR published subwoofers we can see decent\better distortion levels below 100hz. Why not cut out that low frequency distortion and...
Top Bottom