Search results

1. kyle_neuron

What's Left In Speaker Design To Reduce Distortion/Increase Detail Retrieval?

As amazing as the Klippel NFS is, the plots only show harmonic distortion (THD), which listeners don't tend to object to so much. In my experience, people tend to find other types of distortion more objectionable - two of the main measures being intermodulation distortion (IMD) and non-linear...
  2. kyle_neuron

Exploration of data provided by vendors

That would be interesting. I don’t think there’s likely to be a significant benefit to exporting the data using a more dense angular resolution than every ten degrees on the main horizontal and vertical axes to generate your Spinorama plots. It’s only in relation to the process of calculating...
  3. kyle_neuron

Merry Christmas! By all means, please enjoy your time off; I'm away myself :) but since I can be forgetful I wanted to brain-dump while the thoughts are still fresh from rummaging in your scripts. The air absorption setting applies a low pass filter based on the simulated receiver distance and...
  4. kyle_neuron

Hi @pierre, I came across your website today & begun digging in your GitHub repository to determine if you were indeed manually extracting (or tracing) GLL data before finding this thread. Firstly - excellent work; the more this data is available the better. I have however noticed a couple of...
  5. kyle_neuron

B&W 800D4 series

The divisions on this plot are 2 dB, as the y-axis is the 50 dB one. On the Polish site plot, they’re 2.5 dB, but the height of the chart is much larger. Eyeballing it, they're not so different if one is shrunk or the other stretched to match. We also don't know what smoothing, if any, was used...
  6. kyle_neuron

B&W 800D4 series

Google Translate does a good job of their reviews and analysis. Here’s the opening summary:
  7. kyle_neuron

B&W 800D4 series

Not strictly true. If you know what the conditions of measurement were, and have other things like the speaker cabinet and transducer dimensions then comparisons can be made. But likewise, you have to be careful talking in absolutes - and certainly be wary of dismissing an entire brand or line...
  8. kyle_neuron

B&W 800D4 series

If you look at the scale, this is pretty much within +/- 3dB. It might also be worth referring back to Toole’s research, which shows that a narrow Q peak or dip has to be approximately 10 dB above the average level before it becomes objectionable. From the book: If you then check their...
  9. kyle_neuron

Detailed measurements and spinorama of Reflector Audio Square Two 2-way coaxial horn monitor with 4x 5" woofers

With consistent directivity down to below 500 Hz, in both axes, the speaker will have a consistent power response - as seen in the Spinorama data. That means an even excitation of a room, which can produce even tonal response across a large space when used with careful placement, and a listening...
  10. kyle_neuron

Subwoofer phase question

You’re changing polarity, not phase. That’s an important distinction, as the former doesn’t affect the group delay of the individual speaker, but the resulting relative acoustic phase will affect group delay through the transition region from mains to sub. As for which is ‘best’, if you’re not...
  11. kyle_neuron

step response is a important part to show speed of speaker that is good enough for ITD. See measures

I already showed the first 10 ms of response for the same speaker via the waterfall plot, in the very same post. Your plot clearly shows poor time alignment, and behaviour that is typical for measurement in the near field of the speaker. All of this is well documented in literature, if you'd...
  12. kyle_neuron

using a home subwoofer as a PA-subwoofer (small event)

Oh, you're in Brazil! Well, now I have some context. It may be the nature of the work I do, but all the Brazilians I met expected loud to be loud. Here's some output from the GLL data for your speakers: The shaded areas indicate the region of validity for the measurement setup. My suggestion...
  13. kyle_neuron

step response is a important part to show speed of speaker that is good enough for ITD. See measures

Oh, some fun! Here's the 'main' speaker (Funktion One Res 4, by the way) from the measurements I posted, same settings: And the wavelet: With 1/24 frequency smoothing, because I'm no 'smooth criminal'. Perhaps it's worth reminding people to check the y-axis scale too... your plots show...
  14. kyle_neuron

using a home subwoofer as a PA-subwoofer (small event)

Do you have a DSP to run your main speakers? Does it have a spare output channel for you to process your subwoofer? If so, just make sure to low and high pass the sub appropriately, and apply a reasonable limiter to prevent damage. You can do the limiter at home. Connect up the sub via the DSP...
  15. kyle_neuron

Try reading the specification or documentation for something, rather than making yet another incorrect judgment from what you think you know. I already linked this earlier but you obviously don't have any interest in reading anything people are saying or sharing. Taken from the manufacturer's...
  16. kyle_neuron

I haven’t used any linear phase filters, in any of the plots. The results from EASERA are linear phase because the magnitude has been directly manipulated mathematically. I have absolutely no clue what you’re on about with ‘mid speed’ in the first millisecond. Do you even realise that one...
  17. kyle_neuron

For the third time. Both of your microphones are omnidirectional. This is stated by the manufacturers of both microphones themselves. Neither of them are ‘unidirectional’, as this would be a literal laser beam. Incorrect. Here is an example. I measured a single Faital Pro 3FE22 driver resting...
  18. kyle_neuron

Detailed measurements and spinorama of Reflector Audio Square Two 2-way coaxial horn monitor with 4x 5" woofers

Same conclusions. They aren’t shy about giving credit. The amplifier is a customised Ncore, because I don’t think the normal modules support FIR? Either way, it just goes to show how much value is in the simulation, verifications, manufacturing to fine tolerances and good app / software...
  19. kyle_neuron

Master Thread: Are measurements Everything or Nothing?

I’ve been to the museum and spoken to artisans who are baffled by this (pun intended). I still enjoyed hearing a 400+ year old Stradivarius being played by a virtuoso. The whole point of measurements is to quantify our subjective experience. The late Heyser spoke much on this, and perhaps it...
  20. kyle_neuron

This might be more useful - never underestimate the benefit of some basic computational photo editor tools! From this I notice the front of the cones is outputting via the openings at the horn mouth round over, and there’s a small slot port at the bottom. I guess that’s what they are referring...
Top Bottom