Search results

1. BelgianJoey

KEF R3 Meta woofer slightly damaged

As the wavelength of the highest sound the woofer produces is much longer than the size of the dent, the effect should be minimal but 0.01% is minimal too.
  2. BelgianJoey

Help? designing a DIY loudspeaker

If you want to do a DIY project just do it. Don’t let anyone discourage you. I did two projects during the pandemic and I found them very rewarding. Probably not better nor cheaper than what I could have bought but I enjoyed the process of designing, selecting, assembling, testing…. And in the...
  3. BelgianJoey

Picking between these 2 audio jewlery items...any "better" than the other?

Probably not. Both may offer some surge protection. None will improve sound quality.
  4. BelgianJoey

Noise canceling headphones for outdoor power tools?

I use my Bose QC 35’s exactly for these kind of noisy works in the garden and house.
  5. BelgianJoey

The meaning of "linear"

So why are SNR signals typically given at a low value like 1W? During a long time I was thinking too that this was completely irrelevant. But looking at the graphs Amir produces when testing amplifiers I see now that this makes sense after all. 1W is a power that any amplifier can produce. The...
  6. BelgianJoey

I've owned speakers by.....

Bose 205 (1982) Quadral Aurum 4 (2002) B&W in wall (2008) Dynaudio Evoke 30 (2021) DIY SBAcoustics Textreme (2021) DIY Purifi/Bliesma (2022)
  7. BelgianJoey

What stuff do I need to add to my order? (complete beginner)

My dream system for desktop is exactly what you planned! This, or something Neumann KH150 based. No reason to doubt.
  8. BelgianJoey

What stuff do I need to add to my order? (complete beginner)

To use the GLM set you need also some network cables to daisy chain from the GLM to the sub and the speakers and back. Edit: these are supplied with each speaker so that should be ok.
  9. BelgianJoey

Naim Uniti Atom Review (Streamer & Amp)

After seeing this test result I knew that my Atom had to go. I had no real complaints about the sound quality it produced (other than audible hiss when no music is playing) nor about the functionality but just couldn’t accept playing over a DAC with only 11 bits resolution in the multitone...
  10. BelgianJoey

Matrix Element X2 Streamer Review

The m33 has of course very powerful class D amplifiers on board as well as Dirac room correction.
  11. BelgianJoey

Foam in the port

The foam rings allow for a rudimentary form of bass control. You could use it if the speaker starts “booming“ in your room. This happens when the speaker latches on to a resonant frequency (a “mode”) defined by the dimensions of your room. Alternatives are positioning them closer or further...
  12. BelgianJoey

What is the best way to set volumes on both headphone amp and dac?

I’d go with the “many folks“ advise: Larger (non-clipping!) signals earlier in the chain will result in the best final sound quality.
  13. BelgianJoey

Ladder Schumann R2R DAC Review

You could appreciate the fine engineering of a well performing R2R Dac in the way that one can appreciate a fine mechanical watch. Cheaper and obviously better performing technologies exist but somehow that is sometimes not the point.
  14. BelgianJoey

Describe your decisive experience that completely changed your view of audiophilia with a comment.

One day I got hold of a Roon test license. I got it running and I was not expecting something special but a miracle happened: suddenly all of my music sounded so much clearer and more beautiful. I had more than an hour of audiophile bliss. But the experience that changed my perspective came...
  15. BelgianJoey

2ch music stream

Probably, in your computer audio settings the toslink output is configured to 48 kHz. You can change that to 192 kHz so that your amazon hi-res stream is not converted. I would be very surprised, though, if you hear any difference but it could be a comforting idea that nothing got lost underway.
  16. BelgianJoey

Directiva driver candidate discussion

My vote would go to the SB Acoustics Satori TeXtreme drivers: TW29TXN B8 tweeter and MW16TX-8 bas-mid with which I did my first DIY project.
  17. BelgianJoey

Your Desktop Audio Setup?

Rme Adi-Dac Fs Hypex UCD 2x200 Amp (DIY kit) DIY “Tinuviel” Speakers (Purifi 6.5” with Bliesma Be in 9ltr ported box)
  18. BelgianJoey

Watches! What do y'all have on your wrists?

Why an analog timepiece in a world full of atomic clock precision indicators on phones, tablets and computers? Why, if you need to have it on your wrist, not a more precise and far cheaper quartz watch? For me, it’s my little absurdity. There is no real rational reason. Yet, I put the watch...
  19. BelgianJoey

Amplifier Bakeoff: Purifi Eval1, McIntosh MA252 & Benchmark AHB2

Maybe the acoustical calibration procedure had a non random effect if the Benchmark was clipping/struggling to get to the 110 dB 1 kHz tone? Which none of you could detect because ears were covered?
Top Bottom