Search results

1. J

I'm at crossroads.. All in one or separate ?

This isn't an accurate measurement. Or rather, it's an accurate measurement that was made too close. You can't measure a dipole woofer up close, because you don't see the backwave cancellation that you do at the listening seat further back. I couldn't find a proper measurement of the 1.6, but...
  2. J

First Impressions of the Magnepan LRS vs. the LRS+

Yes, something like that. The extra cost is for shipping and customs, European distribution, and maybe duty and VAT? Not sure how the last two work.
  3. J

Their European distributor is Audionord. It looks like the LRS+ costs €1,490.00: https://magnepan-europe.com/products/lrsplus
  4. J

Perceptual Effects of Room Reflections

True, but what they do is listen to their mixes on a variety of home systems, which do tend to have certain characteristics, e.g., limited bandwidth. These days, I gather that they focus more on earbuds.
  5. J

Yes, that's true.
  6. J

I'm not sure I follow. The control rooms of the day were designed with all of these issues in mind, using the principles in the paper. What has happened since, other than more small rooms and abominations like the loudness wars and Auto Tune, and the increased importance of earbuds? Modern pop...
  7. J

Sure, and normal crappy equipment. I think it still sounds better on a good home system and decent acoustics, or at least did until Auto-Tune and the loudness wars, anyway. But I also think the type of good system may be different, perhaps sacrificing some accuracy for midbass slam, etc. And...
  8. J

Yeah, guess I'm missing something, because excepting his discussion of distributed mode loudspeakers it seems to be very conventional stuff.
  9. J

No. Recording engineers have to hear what's on the recording, and early reflections, including those from the side walls, interfere with that. There are various philosophies of room design -- RFZ/LEDE room, zero environment room, etc., and they generally involve minimizing reflections before 20...
  10. J

Review and Measurements of Okto DAC8 8Ch DAC & Amp

OK, tried installing it -- no luck. On Windows 10, it crapped out with a brief error message, so I tried Linux Mint. That gave me a more verbose message, saying among other things that there was a USB timeout.
  11. J

Are you saying the upgrade caused the high pitched noise? Because I sure don't want to do it if it does!
  12. J

I asked Pavel about this (I have an early unit) and he said to try it first with the procedure in the release note because it sometimes works, depending, it seems, on multiple factors. Looks like it didn't work in your case, but I thought I'd pass that on to everyone. Now, to try it myself . ...
  13. J

Yep, they have a very high bandwidth. Of course, most of it isn't used in a woofer, but in this case, they did need extra bandwidth because they're designed as the woofers to go with their new spouse-friendly speakers -- the panels on those are only 12" wide so the woofer has to play a lot...
  14. J

I image the 1 ohm, didn't know they were shipping them with resistors installed at all. I know that they removed some of the MDF on either side to slim it down. As I understand it, removing the trim slimmed them down a bit more, but I could be wrong on that -- I'd have to ask. I do know that...
  15. J

There's an engineering improvement that I wish I could discuss but can't. Its effects are easily measurable, but the differences in the measurements here may have more to do with the stands than the change. The trim on the sides was eliminated to help slim down the speaker and make it a bit more...
  16. J

Magnepan LRS Speaker Review

I responded to Amir because I noticed something in my notifications (I long ago unsubscribed to this thread), and I've found Amir's remarks interesting and polite. Quite apart from any technical considerations, some remarks by others here seem better suited to an appointment with a psychiatrist...
  17. J

Another measurement of in-room response: https://hometheaterhifi.com/reviews/speaker/subwoofers/vpe-electrodynamics-little-dipole-woofer-model-1-with-magna-riser-airborne-stand-review/ It's still bass deficient, but doesn't show the decline below 300 Hz that your measurements do. I don't know...
  18. J

The near and far field transition is frequency dependent. What is so hard to understand about that? The lower the frequency, the closer you Yeesh, I'm getting dizzy--everyone seems to have his own definition. A formula that I've seen for the critical distance of a line source at wavelength...
  19. J

What am I missing here? It looks like you're talking about listening 30 meters away! In home as opposed to sound reinforcement applications, at a given listening distance, some frequencies are in the near field, some transitional, and some in the far. Speakers are tuned for optimal response at...
  20. J

You seem to think it's either/or. It isn't. There's a transition zone between near and far field, and it varies by frequency as well. I suggest you read the Keele papers if you're interested in learning how it works.
Top Bottom