Search results

1. jhenderson0107

Where does quantization noise come from.

Even if the original signal in green were noise-free, any real-world ADC used to digitize it would produce samples which imperfectly represent it. As StaticV3 said, the act of quantizing the analog signal into a fixed value is performed with finite resolution, resulting in lost information...
  2. jhenderson0107

Why is professional audio in the WFH age so difficult?

My lab space is only 16 x 14. An Amazon Echo Studio provides audio playback during conference calls.
  3. jhenderson0107

BACCH and other XTC

In my limited experience, the XTC effect seems highly-dependent on the ambience which has been baked into the recording. The recordings I listed above contain widely-varying amounts of ambience. The XTC effect is obvious on the wet Diaz-Latorre recording, but subtle on the dry Cauvin recording.
  4. jhenderson0107

BACCH and other XTC

I have used only conventional stereo recordings throughout my tests. In fact, I own only a tiny number of true, multichannel recordings; The vast majority of music I play is Redbook CD standard. The 4.0 preset I documented above uses the Penteo16+ upmixer to produce ambisonic signals for...
  5. jhenderson0107

BACCH and other XTC

I have recently experimented with Xtalk shaper using my living room rig. This week, I installed MacroDeck onto the PC which runs Hang Loose Host and the Xtalk VST. Macrodeck is similar to Elgato StreamDeck, but uses of a phone/tablet instead of dedicated hardware to initiate custom actions...
  6. jhenderson0107

OMG, the best power cables ever!

I purchased this cable in a 15' length at a cost of $37.4M. Sadly, it didn't improve audio resolution, so I extricated the wiring and re-used this as a duct for my clothes dryer.
  7. jhenderson0107

Your latest cool purchase

While I like shiny things as much more than most, this item is a solution looking for a problem. Just like the Incra marking sets and guaranteed squares, they're just "shop bling" - totally irrelevant and unnecessary to create fine woodwork.
  8. jhenderson0107

SMSL DO300 DAC Review

I believe that spectral free dynamic range should be calculated in dBc, since it portrays the dynamic range between the carrier and largest spectral artifact. That's how I've always calculated it. But, perhaps I'm mistaken.
  9. jhenderson0107

SMSL DO300 DAC Review

pkane - Eyeballing, the SFDR seems to be ~140 dB (H3), rather than the reported 149.4 dB. Please explain.
  10. jhenderson0107

Genelec 8361A Review (Powered Monitor)

My favorite color has always been yellow. But that was a mistake.
  11. jhenderson0107

Genelec 8361A Review (Powered Monitor)

The RME tone controls and loudness features work identically whether using the digital or analog outputs. However, any improvement due to use of the digital path is miniscule and inaudible, IMO.
  12. jhenderson0107

Show us your guitars!

Newest: John H Dick cedar doubletop classical: Eastman 910 Hollow body jazz: Taylor Mahogany GS LTD steel string: Chet Atkins nylon solid-body:
  13. jhenderson0107

Introducing Hang Loose Convolver from Accurate Sound

The only reason I retain the RME in the system is because it implements loudness compensation. Otherwise the Wiim could completely displace it, further simplifying the system. In this system, the amplifiers provide ~26 dB gain, which is excessive. I reduce the output volume of main/rear 4x10s...
  14. jhenderson0107

Vivid Audio Moya M1-World's first 8-woofer force -canceling speaker

The Vivid Moya M1 actually make the Genelec 8381 or W371+Ones look pretty by comparison. That's no mean feat.
  15. jhenderson0107

DWPress: Yes. The miniDSP UDIO-8 features four AES3 inputs and outputs, all active concurrently. I mix the first two stereo inputs in HL Host at the top of the diagram. Of course in practice I activate just one streamer at-a-time. Sounds much better that way ;)
  16. jhenderson0107

Perlisten D215S vs JTR RS2

I use 3 RS1's in my theater (two front, one rear). They are massively oversufficient to my needs in a (21'x17'x9') room, yet they're not physically huge. I like and would purchase them again.
  17. jhenderson0107

New Shangling looks pretty bad ass!

Modular. Shanling, I don't think that means what you think it means:
  18. jhenderson0107

Here is a picture of my current graph in HLC Host: There are two stereo sources. 1) A Pi4 running rooADI acts as a Roon endpoint with feeds an RME ADI-FS 2 Pro BE. 2) A Wiim Pro+ feeding a Hosa CDL-313. These sources drive two of four stereo inputs of a miniDSP UDIO-8. HL Host multiplexes...
  19. jhenderson0107

Multichannel DSP and DAC including Atmos

Thank you, DWPress. Your systemwide audio thread provided inspiration to migrate away from a Meridian 561 towards Hang Loose Host to facilitate experimentation with surround-sound on my living room rig.
  20. jhenderson0107

Multichannel DSP and DAC including Atmos

This approach does not decode. This is an upmixer solution only. So, 1-16 input channels can be upmixed to (up to) 16 output channels in (almost) any format.
Top Bottom