Search results

1. JanesJr1

"Unsquash" dome tweeter at home?

I have a 1-inch woven-kevlar dome tweeter that was somehow depressed during a move. It appears undamaged other than the depressed center, so I'm going to Home Depot to find some kind of suction cup to try a home repair. I'm happy to improvise on the fly, I guess. However, I also thought...
  2. JanesJr1

How do I convert Amir's sensitivity (mv to drive 94 SPL) to db(1vRMS)?

I cannot convert Amir's numbers for sensitivity, stated as mv required for 94 dB SPL, into db(1vRMS), for example to use in the headphone power calculator. If I divide Amir's 94dB into the mv sensitivity rating to get db from one mv, the number gives nonsensical results (including converting mV...
  3. JanesJr1

How to measure closed-back headphone SPL

I would like to measure SPL with a hand-held SPL meter, which has an SPL log and PC interface. My headphones are closed-back. It seems to me that I could get best results by placing the two cups of the headphones together around the microphone wand, so that the pickup would be close to where...
  4. JanesJr1

Instead of connecting RCA preamp output to XLR pwrd speakers, could I use balanced 4.4 mm headphone jack to XLR?

I would like to connect my Topping A50s headphone amp to powered speakers, which have only balanced combo XLR/TRS jacks. The Topping's pre-amp out is unbalanced RCA, but it also has a balanced 4.4 mm headphone jack. Instead of running an unbalanced RCA-to-XLR connection, could I instead run a...
  5. JanesJr1

Confusing SE and balanced features of Topping A50s vs new L50

I am confused by the balanced and SE features of Topping's A50s and L50 headphone amps. I'm trying to pick one or the other to use with both very-low-impedance headphones and active speakers with balanced inputs. I'm thinking of Topping b/c of high current and power for low impedance HP, and...
  6. JanesJr1

Playback Mystery: what am I hearing?

Like many others on this forum, I have a list of music tracks I use to compare equipment, adjust EQ, etc. I found one track that differentiates different equipment better than any other track I have, but I am baffled by what exactly the differences mean. Although I don't see references to it...
  7. JanesJr1

For $1500, buy 2 Genelec 8030C's, or 2 Genelec 8010A's + subwoofer?

Both the Genelec 8030C and 8010A speakers received admiring reviews here, with the caveat for both being bass extension/volume. Of course, the 8030C's do better than the 8010A's with bass. My use is mostly near-field listening (4-7 feet from speakers). If I have $1500 to spend, should I buy...
  8. JanesJr1

The ghost in the machine

I think I need heavy ammo in shielding my office music hardware, and don't know how to narrow this down. Like a gigantic Faraday cage? Tin foil hats for all equipment? Victrolas? Most of my listening is done at the office. I use both a portable DAC/Amp and a desktop DAC and Amp to listen to...
  9. JanesJr1

DAC isolation from PC hardware and correct volume settings??

If an external DAC and headphone amp are used with a PC to stream audio from the cloud in exclusive mode, I observe that the online volume control in the streaming audio site is disabled due to the bypass of the Windows audio mixer. However, the volume setting in Windows, tied to the physical...
  10. JanesJr1

Using ASIO with Amazon HD ... a partial solution?

I use Amazon HD but have been frustrated that the service has no API to use ASIO. I think I have a partial solution. The problem is that in order to match the bitrate to source material, one has to go through layers of Windows Settings menus to set the bit rate for each song. If you just set...
Top Bottom