Search results

1. JanesJr1

Streaming services: classical Music, any Primephonic/Apple updates, other?

Just FYI, that's the only way I listen to music (via my PC's), and it's not a far-fetched use case. I like it much better than using a phone, and I get top fidelity on my Surface Pro with a good dongle and headphones or IEM's. (I also use desktop dac/amps on my stationary PC's.) I'm not even...
  2. JanesJr1

Dan Clark Audio AEON 2 Noire Review

Kind of a capricious problem ... my Noires are dead silent in the cups ... a little cable noise but not much, and nothing else, unless I'm moving around a lot for some reason. By "capricious" I mean that I have always had a great seal with the Aeon cups, but I know that some others do not.
  3. JanesJr1

Hart Audio carries the DCA-style connectors, and their cables are flexible and in my experience well-made. Less expensive than some, too. I've seen others refer to low-cost suppliers with the same DCA sockets at AliExpress, but I don't have the link. [PS missed your comment the first time...
  4. JanesJr1

A year or two ago, I did extensive A/B comparison of the Noire (Aeon 2) to the Closed X (RT re-brand for Drop distribution channel). They were level-matched comparisons and both 'phones were EQ'd to Harman/Oratory, but they were sighted comparisons. I spent too many hours comparing them. I...
  5. JanesJr1

Sennheiser HD650 Review (Headphone)

I don't listen to bass for the sake of strong bass, but I like to EQ for acoustic sources (classical, folk, etc) so that there is clean bass in reserve to create a full FR and convincing fidelity. (I listen to electronica, too, but bass is almost like a separate "instrument", not just a...
  6. JanesJr1

Looking at Tyll's numbers, the total distortion in the bass and sub-bass seems very high whether or not EQ to Harman is applied. Trying to reconcile subjective experience with the objective numbers, an alternative explanation for my experience would be that my attempt to beef up the bass of my...
  7. JanesJr1

I had the same experience as Robbo9999 a couple of years ago: EQing the HD650 bass back up to Oratory's version of Harman was a total fail. The bass lost all integrity. I fiddled with a high pass filter, but my DCA planar was so much more tolerant of EQ (and less needy in the bass to begin...
  8. JanesJr1

The hell of computer support

PC I have always had at least one Lenovo Thinkpad at hand in my work setting for at least 20 years. (I stick with them because of personal ergonomic preferences, not because of vaunted hardware toughness: as form-factors have shrunk, Thinkpads have become more fragile, just like other brands.)...
  9. JanesJr1

Belden ICONOCLAST XLR Cable Review

I don't mean to be a buzzkill, but is what they did just to target some ads at audio listeners, and raise their prices? Like it or not, that seems like the straight-and-narrow for business sales practice these days. (Although I haven't seen what they did if it was worse than that.)
  10. JanesJr1

Dan Clark Audio AEON RT Review (closed headphone)

run them balanced. I have the atom as well as a more powerful topping Amp that I run balanced, and the. s9 pro and e1da running balanced sound the same at normal volumes. also check the fit as noted above; it almost always comes up as the biggest reason for variability in the experiences of dca...
  11. JanesJr1

See my last post, 2 items up. The Aeon and Aeon 2 headphones all need the special "Hirose" connector. I know that Hart makes DCA compatible cables and I like mine; maybe someone else does, too.
  12. JanesJr1

Hi, with the S9 Pro try a balanced connection, that will significantly increase the power output. (But it will cost something...) Also, DCA phones are more sensitive than most to a snug fit in order to provide full bass. This is generally true of closed back phones, but the high "resonance...
  13. JanesJr1

Interesting! I use 2 reasonably capable dongles*, connected in balanced mode, with the 13 ohm Noire, and keep expecting, but at most rarely hearing, transient distortion or limiting on peaks. I've done subjective but level-matched A/B comparisons with demanding music that seem to validate that...
  14. JanesJr1

With the possible exception that there are some USB dongles that draw on laptop-battery or connected-AC power pretty freely and can therefore handle a pretty hefty current draw....
  15. JanesJr1

I always respect your opinion, Staticv3 ... do you have a take on a dongle that can drive the Noire with enough "authority, dynamics, slam, impact" to satisfy a reasonable audiophile? (By reasonable, I mean not cathedral-ceiling, show-off-demo SPL's but satisfying normal use...) Just using the...
  16. JanesJr1

My short answer is that I've never heard a headphone or IEM that I was satisfied with out of the box. Maybe I misunderstood you, but on my first reading, I thought you were hoping (1) for a headphone you didn't have to EQ, and (2) if you DO have to EQ, you want a headphone you could hook up to...
  17. JanesJr1

I'm curious about Audeze ... they may not be forcing consumers into a house sound, but with a funky EQ out-of-the-box, aren't they limiting their audience either to the minority of audiophiles who agree with and practice equalizing; or alternatively to those who really like an...
  18. JanesJr1

Looking for DCA Aeon 2 Noire alternative

I remember reading that DCA switched to a different pad to solve the problem a year or two ago. However, I think that back then, unless you were a recent-purchaser, you had to buy them. But check with DCA..
  19. JanesJr1

It seems like OEM's are instead slowly gravitating unofficially toward Harman EQ, probably because they know the Harman EQ will end up in graphs on a lot of headphone reviews.
  20. JanesJr1

I'm not sure why you can't plug your preferred headphones into whatever source you need: Hardware-wise, I can do that with just a carefully-chosen dongle and a couple of adapters, even with my current-demanding DCA headphones (and it's even a balanced connection). I haven't used it...
Top Bottom