Search results

1. V

Adapting PEQ profiles

I'm using the PEQ in HifiBerryOS as my main EQ. That one doesn't support all frequencies though. It mostly seems to support multiples of 100Hz, except for the (very) low frequencies. E.g. a profile may have a peak filter for 1550Hz, while the HifiBerry PEQ supports 1500Hz and 1600Hz only. What...
  2. V

Quad ERA-1: Opinions

The other day I came across the Quad ERA-1 headphones. Until then I never knew Quad made headphones. Turns out they got some mentions on ASR and elsewhere on the net. And in general people seem to like them a lot. One could perhaps say these are a hidden gem. Most reviews and impressions are...
  3. V

Mixed results with eq'ing headphones

This weekend I had my first experience with eq'ing headphones. More or less prompted by the discussions on ASR. The soft- and hardware I use are an rPi 4 with HifiBerry digi2 pro and DSP add-on running HifiBerryOS, connected via coax to a Topping DX7Pro. Headphones I started with were the Meze...
  4. V

Trying to make sense of digital room correction results

I just did my first measurement with the HifiBerry Digi2 Pro with DSP Add-on. The process was smooth (but noisy ;-)). And the result sounds okay. With the note that I haven't done any thorough listening yet. However, when I had a look at the profile that was generated, I was a bit surprised...
  5. V

Old equipment: sell or collect

So far I always had problems with selling my old audio equipment. It's a lot of hassle and the amount of money you get for old equipment is usually not that much. So except for large speakers I kept most of mu old amps, cd players, DAC's, etc. Even though it's not that much, this obviously adds...
  6. V

Topping RC-22 (how to open)

So I bought the Topping RC-22 remote control, mostly because I'd like to have something more sturdy than the standard flimsy RC that Topping delivers with their products. Well, sturdy it is! Built like a tank. Quite literally. One rather silly question. To open it - no batteries included, no...
  7. V

Topping HS01: Useful device or snake oil?

I recently came across the Topping HS01 "USB 2.0 High Speed Audio Isolator". There's hardly any (objective) information available on this device. According to Topping is should eliminate or at least minimize ground loop noises on USB connections. Is this useful, and if so, in which situations...
  8. V

Audiophonics MPA-M400ET hum

All of a sudden I noticed that one of my 2 Audiophonics MPA-M400ET Purifi amps is emitting a quite loud hum/buzz from the unit when it's switched on. The other one is dead quiet. I tried several power cables, put the amp in different outlets, in different places in the house, but the hum/buzz...
  9. V

Advantages of dedicated DSP vs. generic CPU

I'd like to know if there are advantages of using a dedicated DSP versus doing the processing in a generic CPU. Companies like miniDSP and Hifiberry offer dedicated DSP solutions for audio processing. While there are also solutions that use the/a CPU (e.g. CamillaDSP). Does using a dedicated...
  10. V

REW measurement: connecting the equipment

I've got a UMIK-1 and am ready to do some measurements with REW. The distance between my dac and listening position is substantial though: approx. 6,5m or 21ft. What would be the best way of connecting the computer (a Macbook Pro) running REW and the UMIK-1 to the DAC? The DAC is a topping...
  11. V

Digital Room Correction - where to start

I'd like to start with the (what seems) beautiful world of DRC. My current setup consists of an RPi 4 streamer (pCP / squeezelite), a DAC/HA, and an amp and speakers. The primary goal is to get rid of some boomy bass at my listening position. Headphone EQ'ing would be a nice bonus. The options...
  12. V

Cable management

Like - as I assume - in many setups, my equipment is placed in less than ideal conditions. TV, audio and video streamers, amps and DAC all share more or less the same space. That is, the devices are relatively far apart, but cables are all stuck in the same small place behind the furniture...
  13. V

Noisy Purifi amplifiers

To get rid of the humming transformers in my Cambridge amp I bought 2 Purifi monoblocks. Happy with the way they look and sound. Until I came close to my speakers... Both amps cause (some) noise from my speakers. If I had to describe it, I'd say a slight hiss, with a touch of static. Audible...
  14. V

Switching from hybrid to streaming-only

Has anyone here made the switch from a 'hybrid' to a streaming-only setup? I mean, removing their cd- and record players from their rigs and go full on streaming. And streaming could be services (Tidal, Spotify, etc.) or locally (downloads and ripped cd's)? I am still a fervent cd collector...
  15. V

DAC + HA + Poweramp setup

Before actually buying new devices and spending considerable money I'd like to be sure that everything will work as I expect it to. And preferably without (too many) sacrifices in sound quality. Currently I'm thinking of getting a D90se DAC, A90 HA and 2 Audiophonics MPA-M400ET poweramps (PA)...
  16. V

Advise on amp

I currently own a Cambridge Audio 840A amplifier with an 840C cd-player and Focal Profile 918 speakers. Have it for almost 9 years and overall I'm happy with the sound quality of this set. However, the transformers in the 840A amp (sometimes) hum like crazy. Even when using an ATL DC Blocker...
  17. V

Transformers in integrated amplifier

While hunting for the source of the hum coming from my Cambridge Audio 840A I noticed that it might not come from the big toroidal transformer in the middle of the amp, but rather from a small one that's mounted to the back plate of the amp. Some investigation revealed that this may be the...
  18. V

Do all DAC's have technical issues

When reading the reviews and user experience threads on ASR I get the impression that a lot of/all sub $1000 modern-day DAC's have technical issues in one way or another. Be it the X16, the D30Pro, or the M400 (to name but a few). How to interpret these "issues"? Are they inherent to the use...
Top Bottom