Search results

1. hollis

Review and Measurements of Okto DAC8 8Ch DAC & Amp

There is also a small note to try the Other OS section. I am also totally fine doing it via command line as well.
  2. hollis

Upmixing - where are we at? Have people compared upmixers?

Also worth considering is this new hardware unit by Schiit. https://www.schiit.com/products/syn 100% analog if you want, zero latency, user adjustable settings. Main downside is 5.1 only. It can even take 2ch optical out from a tv as input. Seems very simple and almost an avr alternative for...
  3. hollis

Upmixing - where are we at? Have people compared upmixers?

Likely best to do nothing vs “The wrong thing” on some tracks. 2ch music is mixed assuming a phantom center. Some people and some use cases just want to add surrounds and leave LR 100% alone.
  4. hollis

Review and Measurements of Okto DAC8 8Ch DAC & Amp

TLDR: No There is no current or planned DLBC product for desktop. DLBC is currently locked in ~$4k AVRs and prepros. Win/OSX get Dirac Live only. But! Not to fear. I've been testing out DLBC in my living room and its nothing special. I am going back to MSO soon. Also, if you love bass enough...
  5. hollis

When 7.1 music upmixing is worse than 5.1 music upmixing

Sure, lets pick ASR darlings. 2x Dutch & Dutch 8c in front. Room eq can fix or adjust any given speaker yes. But I dont feel it has any impact on upmixing choices.
  6. hollis

Car audio folks went deep down this path the last two decades. With manual mixing of what goes to the rears, one can beat a lot of upmixing algos. My question was more sides VS rears. Like if you are manually sending signal somewhere, do you send it to 2 behind you speakers, or 4 behind you...
  7. hollis

For a rock band or a jazz ensemble I agree, why not just listen in stereo. For electronic, techno, soundtracks, I have found upmixing to make them much more immersive. They are really "youre in the middle of the band" genres, vs rock or jazz that are "band is in front of you" genres. Different...
  8. hollis

Hot take 7.1 music upmixing is worse than 5.1 music upmixing... If you have a single seat. Everything here will not hold for multiseat or classical/real music. Initial premise. You are an audiophile who listens to EDM with a crazy good 2.0 system. Starting from that, you should have: - a...
  9. hollis

Behringer Truth B2031A - how truthful is it? (review / modding)

And distortion plots if thats of value to anyone. RR was the one that had the most issues with actual HT content. Its not the worst graph of the bunch though. The last two graphs, with the spike at ~200hz, those are red+orange above From left to right: C, RR, RL, SR, SL
  10. hollis

Behringer Truth B2031A - how truthful is it? (review / modding)

I use 5x 2031a + 2x 8c for my office 7.1. Had some issues with distortion from a rear, so I dragged them out to the deck, laid out each flat on its back, and measured them in (allmost) halfspace. Turns out, used pairs of 2031a dont match eachouther at all. The orange+red traces look like an...
  11. hollis

Murphy Corner Line Array

Of all the people to get schooled by, I cant pick anyone better. I will read and digest. And maybe respond with the data that prompted me to make those decisions. One thing I can say, 100% of the things I know for sure are only at nearfield, so 3m is a different world to me. Thank you @Wesayso
  12. hollis

Murphy Corner Line Array

Thanks for that word of warning. I use a both high and low protective filters. I actually added the HF LP first, since REW sweeps were making crazy noise/distortion at the end of sweep. Turns out REW starts and stops its sweeps before the points you set. So if you sweep 10hz to 20khz, it is...
  13. hollis

Murphy Corner Line Array

Ah! In Jriver you have Linkwitz Transform right allongside all the eq options. Definitely try that out sometime, I am told the LT has less negative effects on phase than cascasded LF boosts. I was considering BlueCat but that one looks promising as well. I need to try that one, I use Voxengo...
  14. hollis

Murphy Corner Line Array

My updated approach to equalization, requires a HTPC or DDRC-24: Left and Right linked, first round of adjustments in mono New, better calculated LT thanks to @Joecarrow and a greater knowledge of simulation software + empirical testing. This has far less unneeded boost below ~35hz (the working...
  15. hollis

FS: Philharmonic BMR v2 rosewood rectangular (pair)

Youre going to love them. Shipped them out the same day as payment was received. Bummer I cant edit the original post to mark as sold.
  16. hollis

Thats crazy tempting, but I'm getting married in three weeks and simply need to own less stuff
  17. hollis

In the original post, I stated I was leaving BMR wide dispersion to go back to narrow dispersion. I may have phrased it in a confusing way. Right now, I am focusing my efforts into multich, and a larger number of narrow dispersion speakers.
  18. hollis

Yes, insured shipping to OR would be included in my price.
Top Bottom