Search results

1. E

Two audiophiles walk into a bar... (finish the joke)

Was going to say something similar. Two audiophiles walk in a bar to a live band playing acoustically/ "unplugged". They walk out saying the sound was veiled and had no sense of rhythm pace and timing.
  2. E

Bryston 4b/ Swan hivi 3.1

When you say "old" do you know what year or model (sst2, sst, st etc) it is? Bryston at least for past 25-30 years put date codes in their amps. What I am trying to get at it .... is it may need to be recapped as with most power amps that are "old". Luckily Bryston can do a check up on your...
  3. E

How do I bring top quality audio to my TV system

Why don't you just get a new power amp to replace the tube amp that just died? That way everything else stays the same which I trust you are familiar and happy with.
  4. E

Trigger connector for Bryston 3B-SST

Having owned a bunch of bryston sst amps and other electronics with triggers, I highly recommend getting the 3.5 mm mono female screw terminal jacks and pig tailing them to Phoenix connector on the bryston amps. Some electronics triggers will use raw wire like bryston, most others 3.5 mm mono...
  5. E

Relatively Inexpensive Multichannel Amp

Also consider some older/used 3ch and matching 2 ch amps. If really old, they may not have 12v triggers. My first mc amp was a 5 ch acurus and it didn't have 12v triggers
  6. E

I’m at a wedding reception and

Imagine two weddings where the groom (or bride) is an "subjectivist" (ok audiophile) and the other an "objectivist". A few minutes before the reception: One the groom would be installing bass traps in the corner, going seat to seat with a umik mic and running REW making last minute EQ...
  7. E

I’m at a wedding reception and

Maybe you get to take the speakers home afterwards like the flower centre pieces. "I insist, please you take them"
  8. E

What makes biggest difference in sound

I'll go old school and say the recording
  9. E

Audio Purchase: "they gave it to me!"

A few years back, I was eating at a Pho restaurant that is a few doors down from an audiophile store that I frequented. The table next to me, wife or better half was asking the hubby how much the new cables costs. He was honest and said it was something like $1500 cdn. She said, that is...
  10. E

Change in Requirement for Posting Items for Sale

Amir can also raise the minimum threshold to be a donor to say $50. If I recall I donated via PayPal. Although not 100% that should be somewhat traceable.
  11. E

Change in Requirement for Posting Items for Sale

Maybe the converse be true as well where donating members selling gear should see if the potential buyers are also forum donors to better weed out scam buyers. I bought speakers last year through the ASR classified and it was a smooth transaction. The long time member did have many...
  12. E

Axiom speakers - thoughts?

There is a good video you tube video with a tour of the factory. They have their own anechoic chamber in house and measure their subs on a tall pole for 4pi or something like that. In the past year or so Axiom merged or bought Bryston and recently purchased Magnum Dynalab, two highly audio...
  13. E

Is Amateur Piano Recording This Hard?

I am fortunate that I live in the Greater Toronto Area where Merriam has their stores. And yes I bought a Grand from them about 2 years ago. I started a thread about room acoustics and evaluating a grand piano and the folks on this forum were most helpful.
  14. E

Is Amateur Piano Recording This Hard?

Merriam Music channel on YouTube sells and reviews many pianos and in some of the videos I watched (mostly on how to buy a grand, and grands) they talk about their recording setup. I have recorded many videos of my kid playing for virtual music festivals using a "cheapie" Rode NT-usb mini mic...
  15. E

Quality Stereo 3.5mm male to male Cables

monoprice has 3.5mm male to male cables that use two coax conductors which are excellent for long runs but the cable is like 4x as thick as most 3.5mm cables. I have some and are satisfied .
  16. E

Cable management (NOT a "which fancy cable" thread)

You can buy velcro by the roll at home depot. You can then cut to order. I use this method to help minimize the rats next. Also I use a brother P touch to label both ends of patch cables and wall warts
  17. E

Four Corner Subs positioning with Bass traps in all corners

Thanks again. I do not have access to the AES paper (for free otherwise it is $33) as I am not a member. I have gone through the powerpoint that DonH56 referenced. I still need to go through the paper you provided earlier from audioroundtable and the hometheatrehifi when I get a moment. If I...
  18. E

I assume you mean the crossover frequency which is 80 Hz. Thanks be You hit it bang on. The subs at the rears will be blocking the aisle access to where the equipment racks are. Again, you are a mind reader. I want the "best" fidelity in a 7.1 (even 5.1 works) with HDMI pre pro as I...
  19. E

Just checked the velodyne sms-1 manual and ..... no. The XMC-1 prepro you can set speaker distance (supports dual independent sub outputs) which I trust will affect the delay but I would need to calculate what distance would equate to 25 ms and see if that distance is in the range of the...
  20. E

The devil is in the details. This is definitely a show stopper in my environment as the cylinder subs I use are 17" in diameter by 40" tall/long. Thanks for the info. I will purchase the Umik mic and start playing with this to see where my room is at. My current prepro does have the ability...
Top Bottom