Search results

1. J

Roon Nucleus One

I have not tried BluOS. I know one of the reasons Roon has always insisted on coordinating everything via the server is they believe the reliability of UPnP / DLNA is not sufficient to manage multiple endpoints, to keep them in-synch, etc. I have a "zone" set up in Roon that plays directly to...
  2. J

Harman acquires Roon

No, IF you're using scrolling to navigate your library, that's the way it works. However, I have a 12k album library, and I only ever use search to pull up albums - even on a fullscreen display (e.g., an iPad or MacBook screen), scrolling is WAY too inefficient. I also frequently Sort by...
  3. J

Roon Nucleus One

As long as they're both on the same network AND the streamer is supported (i.e., it supports RAAT input - i.e., is Roon-ready - or Chromecast OR AirPlay), sure. FWIW, my entire Roon ecosystem is wireless except for the "last mile" connection from my living Roon endpoint (in my case, a mini PC)...
  4. J

Roon Nucleus One

No. All streams go through the Roon server / core. It can then be distributed to endpoints with fairly sophisticated EQ, etc. (if desired), but the core MUST be up and running to use Roon at all.
  5. J

Roon Nucleus One

Interesting - I wasn't aware of this limitation. That said, my house is only 2,000sf - I would NEVER want to play different streams to different players at the same time - it would be cacophony! And since I live alone, I'd never even want to stream different music inside / outside; i.e., if...
  6. J

Denon AVR-X4800H AVR Review

Can you explain which of the multiple statements in the referenced post is "wrong"? I am also unaware of any TV currently produced that includes gig Ethernet. And since they obviously work with all the current streaming solutions, it's clear the 10 / 100 ports ARE sufficient for current...
  7. J

First measurements with HouseCurve app

If you don't have access to a room correction system (e.g., REW measurements + convolution in Roon, Audyssey / Dirac, etc., in a processor and / or receiver, etc.), positioning your subs properly is probably your best bet (and your first step even IF using RC). I'm no expert (my room really...
  8. J

REW measurement of 2.1 system - would you EQ and where/how?

Exactly - an actual measurement with no smoothing would look something like this. It almost looks like you don't actually have a microphone in use, but I don't think REW would let you measure without one LOL.
  9. J

First measurements with HouseCurve app

First, ignore the peak at 17k - you won't hear it. Second, focus on smoothing the response below 500 - THAT, you will hear. Once that's straightened out, you can look at the heightened response between 500-2k and the lowered response from 2k-5k. I leave that area alone (to me, that's kind of...
  10. J

active speaker with room correction that works with Wi-Fi and Bluetooth

My first thought is the current Sonos line, but only two of the speakers available would fit into your $250 budget: Sonos Era 100 - https://www.sonos.com/en-us/shop/era-100 Sonos Move 2 - https://www.sonos.com/en-us/shop/move-2 Both support TruePlay (Sonos' room correction approach) and WiFi...
  11. J

HIFIMAN Susvara Headphone Review

He wasn't TALKING about frequencies above 9 kHz - he was talking about the clear and present DISTORTION at ALL frequencies (esp. 200-300 Hz and 4-5 kHz), already visible at 94 dB, unacceptable at 114 dB, and clipping even 1 dB higher. I'm pretty sure everyone here knows about the unreliability...
  12. J

Your Desktop Audio Setup?

That's why I haven't really taken the time / effort / investment to update my home office yet - I'm actually much more likely just to use my personal laptop in the living room in front of the main system and "remote" to my work laptop in the office ;)
  13. J

Your Desktop Audio Setup?

Very nice! I need to modernize my home office - "inherited" a HUGE solid oak desk which is REALLY not suited as a modern workstation, so it's all a bit makeshift ATM.
  14. J

Should we correct to Schroder, or full range?

Mine is WAY irregular LOL It's basically part of an open plan living area, so only "closed" on one side (the side the speakers are closest to). One wall has two large (floor to ceiling) windows + a fireplace, and the other two walls are basically open: one to the kitchen / dining area and one...
  15. J

Should we correct to Schroder, or full range?

I used to do full-range corrections ("why not?" I thought) but recently, I gave it a go just up to 150 Hz. I like that a lot better :) My speaker setup was already pretty smooth above Schroeder (and sounded pretty good), and the correction at 150 Hz and below really pulls down some peaks /...
  16. J

Do I really need a sub? (including REW measurements)

Well, the other thing is that your sub(s) rolloff drastically below 30Hz. That's not really all that low, and many speakers by themselves are in that same range, performance-wise For comparison, my subs are -6db at 10Hz. But if you're happy with that level of performance, you're right -...
  17. J

Apple is forced to allow installation of 3rd party Apps (outside of their official store) in the EU

Where they recoded their OS to avoid catastrophic battery failure? Yes.
  18. J

Apple is forced to allow installation of 3rd party Apps (outside of their official store) in the EU

No. You can easily change the default browser or email app (since iOS 14; i.e., about 3 years). They have not yet allowed you to change your default maps program.
Top Bottom