Search results

1. S

Mate digital main speakers (Genelec 8341a) with analog subwoofer (KEF KC62)?

Update on my rig: I stopped using the iMac Pro's headphone out and started using a Topping EX5. It sends an analog signal to the Genelec 8341s through the balanced XLR cables and an analog signal to the KEF KC62 through the RCA jacks. The subwoofer crossover knob is turned all the way down to...
  2. S

Shenzhenaudio Topping EX5 Review (DAC and Headphone Amplifier)

Yes, there is a mechanical on/off switch on the back. I don't like to use it because of the thump. The top of mine is at 83ºF (28ºC) at the moment in standby mode, in a room that's 77ºF (25ºC).
  3. S

I got similar temperature readings here. It's definitely drawing less power in standby mode.
  4. S

There is an automatic standby setting with two choices. I think A-O is supposed to turn on and off with the source. Unfortunately when my iMac Pro is in sleep mode it periodically causes external devices to turn on and off for no apparent reason. This was happening with an Apple dongle USB-C...
  5. S

Per the manual, to the extent I understand it, there is an auto-on/auto-off vs. auto-off only setting. I've switched to auto-off only because my iMac Pro kept waking it up. But I don't think mine is turning itself off.
  6. S

Thank you. I used the video instructions to apply the upgrade via Big Sur. After that, I re-enabled Gatekeeper with this command: sudo spctl --master-enable
  7. S

Review: Apple vs Google USB-C Headphone Adapters

I wound up with a Topping EX5 DAC anyway. I doubt I notice the difference in DAC quality, but I wanted to eliminate an occasional ground loop and also power my HD600 headphones.
  8. S

Mine's just a little warmer than ambient. I suppose someone could measure the power draw.
  9. S

Has anyone managed to run the firmware updater from a Mac? I get a permissions error.
  10. S

I was not originally planning to use the BlueTooth feature. It has turned out to be handy to hear my nice speakers while using my laptop.
  11. S

Here's a minor error in the EX5 manual. The English and Japanese translations specify both the high and low gain as the same values. The Chinese section appears to state them as 6dB and 16dB. I didn't find a PDF version of the manual online yet. When my iMac Pro was in sleep mode it kept...
  12. S

I've received my silver EX5 and I'm happy with it so far. As I type this I'm listening in high-gain mode at 60% volume on my Sennheiser HD600 headphones. Previously I was using the headphone jack on my microphone interface (a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2) turned up nearly all the way, and never sure...
  13. S

First time Genelec owner watches Pixar's "Soul", is mesmerized.

I must be a kid then. I'm finding the Pixar films more reliably enjoyable than the other ones coming out lately, with a few exceptions like Interstellar and the Blade Runner sequel. I bought it to watch with my daughter, then got caught up in the way my room sounded when we watched it.
  14. S

First time Genelec owner watches Pixar's "Soul", is mesmerized.

I recently replaced my defective early 1990s NHT SuperZeros with Genelec 8341a (backed by a KEF KC62 subwoofer), but was too busy to spend much time listening to them. Tonight I started watching "Soul" with my daughter and just lost myself because it sounded so good to me. It was just a random...
  15. S

exploring why my NHT SuperZeros don't sound great

Sometimes I'm caught off guard how good it sounds. I still have some room issues to work out, if I can do it without damaging the walls too much. This is a rented apartment I'll be leaving in a year or so.
  16. S

I'd like to take advantage of the speaker's balanced XLR inputs (to reduce ground loop), and also looking for a way to run my Sennheiser HD600 high impedance headphones.
  17. S

I didn't see an answer to the question of whether the back XLR and RCA outputs can be used simultaneously when not in headphone mode. I am considering using this for powered monitors (Genelec 8341a) that have balanced XLR inputs and a KEF subwoofer that has RCA inputs. Would that work?
  18. S

Connecting multiple amplifiers to one input

OK. Unfortunately the KC62 sends a popping sound and static noise to its outputs when it turns on automatically. I am thinking maybe the new Topping EX5 would be a nice way to go? It seems a shame to waste the balanced inputs to the Genelecs.
  19. S

Connecting multiple amplifiers to one input

I'm using a Y-adapter from the headphone jack of my iMac Pro to my powered main speakers (Genelec 8341a) and a subwoofer (KEF KC62). As I understand it, modern devices don't draw much current. I'm not detecting any ill effect from this, but I could be missing something. For my Sennheiser...
  20. S

Genelec 8030c + SVS sb1000pro setup

I'm going through something similar with my new 8431a speakers and KEF subwoofer. My Genelecs have no analogue out. There is a digital pass-through so speakers could be daisy chained with each other and a digital-input sub (if I had one). For me there's no need to high-pass the input to the...
Top Bottom