Search results

1. G

What makes this speaker so good?

I just bought an old pairs of speakers (mint condition) Otto Sanyo SX401a. What is the technical explanation that this 40 year old cheap 2 way with inverted suspension 10 inch driver and a phonolic ring tweeter sounds better then some rather expensive audiophile speakers of the day? Could it be...
  2. G

Set up Dac advice

I am installing a secondary system/ Quad 44-606 Yamaha NS1000. I have an older DAC Shiit Audio Modi about 4 years old cost about 100 Dollars. If I buy a new Dac like a Topping 3 to 400 hundred Dollars, reviewed and recommended by Amir, will I hear a big difference when playing Flac files...
  3. G

Yamaha NS1000 help and advice

I blew my Yamaha NS 1000 because of the volume control on my computer based dsp sent 4.5 volts to the 300W amp on opening. Fortunately its the crossover that blew, The speakers seem to be OK. Is this a frequent thing to happen? Should I repair the crossover resistors and caps, or tri-amplify...
  4. G

Mid bass coupler

In the late 70's major speaker designers Arnie Nudell and the designer a B&O pointed out the importance of the mid bass coupler. PS audio has used a bass coupler in their speakers, but other designers ignore this principle, the results seems to be an impression of light weight speakers with vs...
  5. G

Speaker passive crossover and drivers.

Could someone explain this term: Beovox UNIPHASE speakers, was this just marketing or is this an important technical implementation to the crossover..
  6. G

Optimum coupling amplifiers to speakers.

Anyone compared the distortion affect on speakers with voltage drive amplifiers vs current drive amplifiers?
  7. G

Great speakers, cheap drivers?

Has anyone heard great speakers that used cheap drivers? I have actually.
  8. G

Are there any discutions on over engineering in audio?

Some speaker companies have invested millions in equipment while others deal with their local cabinet makers. End product results dont seem all that different.
  9. G

Alnico Drivers

Any good reason to search and pay the price for anilco drivers?
  10. G

Full Range 3 way

Some speaker designers recommend using 3 full range drivers of different diameter with 3 way filter. Anyone tried this recipe?
  11. G

Soft Domes

Dome speakers Midrange and tweeters are always described as "soft" are there other kinds, are they any good?
  12. G

Sealed-back mid-range drivers

Excluding open baffle designs, is sealed-back better the cup enclosure design drivers, some exemples and comparaisons please.
  13. G

Crossover replacement

I have several great vintage speakers, they all sound fine despite the caps, some electrolytic; supposed dried up. Since I hear no distortion; If upgrade the caps, will I really hear the difference or will it be imagined and auto suggestion or auto satisfaction when playing Steven Wilson...
  14. G

Comb filter

Is comb filtering that big a deal? This affect is usually present when you have a wide baffle and lots of drivers. This seems to frighten audiophiles. However when you have this situation, you get more spl and less distortion, for me that is an ok trade-off.
  15. G

Cone Material

Aside from the very exotics like belerium etc.. what is the consensus on mid-range cone material, paper, bextrene or Kevlar. I find lots of info on paper, bextrene and various other plastics but nothing on kevlar; Davis acoustics seem to be one of the few to manufacture kevlar speakers.
  16. G

Using a mid-bass or a true mid-range

Which is preferable for a tri-amped speaker? advantages and trade-offs?
  17. G

Great midrange drivers

Anyone know of a great midrange driver equivalent to the ATC but at a reasonable price?
  18. G

Dynaco A25

Is the Dynaco A25 basicaly the same as the Devore Audio speaker?
  19. G

Large vs small speakers

Are speakers measurements the all be all? Can you choose a speaker by the great measurement done by Amir. Most speakers reviewed and measured on this sight are either 2 way desktop or stand mount and the occasional skinny towers. How relevant would the number be if you measured and compared...
  20. G

Alnico drivers

Are all Alnico drivers better? Vintage SEAS alnico drivers are inexpressive, but are they better then modern tweeter?
Top Bottom