Search results

1. G

What makes this speaker so good?

Really Jim, tell that to the owners and designers of Altec 604's and Western Electric horn systems.
  2. G

Cutting my oxygen is an option, I will be joining good company. Michael Fremer, granted, not the most likable human being, has been banned, not exactly a novice in this field. Bob Carver, probably the best amplifier designer on this planet has been much maligned on this forum, to the point...
  3. G

You can certainly assert that High efficiency is a quality factor without comparing it to anything, let alone controlled level matching against what exactly? Like it or not it is a well known fact in the hifi field that if you want constant level high SPL without distortion High sensitivity is...
  4. G

I Have thankfully had some interesting TECHNICAL AND USEFUL answers to my question, I do not require 100% accuracy.
  5. G

Smooth out rough-sounding recordings! Now that is a big plus, not all of us listen to Diana Krall all day, I listen to her husband Elvis Costello, not audiophile but musical genius.
  6. G

Do We Want All Speakers To Sound The Same ?

Amir, like all of us has made achoice in buying Genelec speakers, of course based on his measurements, but not only. If you speak French or have good translation software, have look at this forum called The Dome Acoustique by Dominique Petoin they combine scientific measurements with...
  7. G

I concur with these findings and it is exactly what I was trying to express in my limited English. However it also shows that you need to do a lot to show that the cheapo is inferior by what should be obvious and wide margin.
  8. G

If I walk into room playing a getto blaster, or transistor radio and a year latter Walk into the same room playing some Focal Speakers, I don't need an degree in engineering from MIT and 100,000 dollars of equipment to tell you which is best.
  9. G

Unfair comparison with 901's. Knowledgeable audiophiles also praised Fulton FMI's even cheaper built, flimsier stamping, simpler and cheaper crossover. I am no way praising these cheapos, I am asking why not so bad compared to the 2 way wonders of new technology and quality components selling...
  10. G

I have read the study. What fairy-tales are you talking about? My post was a question not a statement. Some members have given answers. Why all the aggression on your part. I will have to read your posts with great interest to see what great vision you bring to this forum, sounds like...
  11. G

Yes, thank you, we have established and informed others that high efficiency can be a quality factor without having to set up a volume matched scientific (or pseudo scientific experiment) which so many here demand.
  12. G

Altec Voice of the theater with Dynaco tubes was the first system I installed in a night club. It sounded great in a heavily damped room. Sure would not want it in my living room now. How about you?
  13. G

Ok, Tool is a great reference, although not the greatest of objectivist. He likes omni-directionals, and tone controls. You must admit 64% is not a great majority. Distortion correlated to SPL and vertical dispersion are probably the most important characteristics to this audiophile, any way...
  14. G

That was my question, why does this absolete cheap cone tweeter sound good. You are correct it may be due to my slopping ceiling. But then what is the point in reviewing a speaker if you don't know the character of the room. There is absolutely no magic involved, that is actually my point. If...
  15. G

I do understand, and don't want to be too argumentative over this. Discussing individual preferences is indeed useless, however having a discussion comparing different technical approach to speaker design like/ Dipoles vs open baffles, vs high sensitivity vs 4th order crossover filtering can...
  16. G

Good point, but then how do we arrive at a measurable consensus? we are talking low tech here, electromagnetic transducers.
  17. G

I am not into analytical comparison, I listen to recorded music I am very familiar with in in a constant environment, I am not claiming what is best, I am simply stating my amazement that such a considered low tech and aged design can be in the same ball park as something more recent and...
  18. G

I wish I was equipped It could be, but take the new Andrew Jones speakers, he chose to implement a design to suit his taste (and market research), of course, with the appropriate measurements to back it up, but regardless, it wont suit everybody's taste either. Will every speaker that...
  19. G

I just bought an old pairs of speakers (mint condition) Otto Sanyo SX401a. What is the technical explanation that this 40 year old cheap 2 way with inverted suspension 10 inch driver and a phonolic ring tweeter sounds better then some rather expensive audiophile speakers of the day? Could it be...
  20. G

Set up Dac advice

I am installing a secondary system/ Quad 44-606 Yamaha NS1000. I have an older DAC Shiit Audio Modi about 4 years old cost about 100 Dollars. If I buy a new Dac like a Topping 3 to 400 hundred Dollars, reviewed and recommended by Amir, will I hear a big difference when playing Flac files...
Top Bottom