Search results

1. DimitryZ

Review and Measurements of Oppo UDP-205 UHD Player

I got one from the first batch! I even use mine to stream from my phone.
  2. DimitryZ

More good results for the FA decoder!!!

Is it like the Electro Turbo Encabulator?
  3. DimitryZ

Absolute Polarity - Myth or "Important"?

Well, thanks to @solderdude , I have a handy AB switch at my listening chair to flip phase at the preamp/amp interface. And on most modern music it doesn't make a noticeable difference. I suspect modern recordings have many tracks in both normal and reverse phase due to many, many processing...
  4. DimitryZ

I am still experimenting, my attention being mostly devoted to the war in Ukraine. The box is working excellently! However, early impressions are: 1. Some recordings do sound different in different phases. In audiophile terms I would describe it as a modest difference. 2. With those...
  5. DimitryZ

Z seems like a bad letter, given the vicious Russian attack on Ukraine. And my last name starts with Z, so I can't win. I have to do more clicking with my fabulous new remote to get any sense if all new recordings are 'phase neutral. '
  6. DimitryZ

Clearly, this is a hard room...
  7. DimitryZ

Let's pretend we are part of a community where we encourage each other :)
  8. DimitryZ

I can now happily report to be in possession of an excellent remote audio balanced phase switch, graciously created by @solderdude . This device allows me to switch absolute phase from my listening seat while the music is playing. 2 XLR in and out plus 5V supply and a green/red LED on the...
  9. DimitryZ

iPhone -> Lightning/USB 3 adapter ->DAC is it bit perfect?

Maybe the issue is Rotel's USB input? DAC is supposed to claim IOS equivalent of WASAPI - the volume is disabled. I will check all of my DACs - I remember that one of them allowed me to control volume on the iPad, just can't remember which one. Added: I can report that my DACs that allow for...
  10. DimitryZ

Maybe there is an IOS setting that needs attention? I have a bunch of DACs and they all seem to act the same connected to an iPad. I will cycle through them to make sure. The only difference in our setups is that I use a switchable powered USB hub to direct the digital signal to several DACs...
  11. DimitryZ

On my system, Apple Music sounds fine. I also can't change the volume, just like Tidal and Qobuz, implying bit-perfect transmission. Are you using this thingy for connection,? Apple Lightning to USB3 Camera Adapter https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01F7KJDIM/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_i_HFDB9J40X8BXY4VB81Q1
  12. DimitryZ

Let me check. I haven't listened to Apple Music for a while. I have Tidal and Qobuz on the same iPad, so I can compare. What tracks did you find to show the Apple/Tidal difference more?
  13. DimitryZ

Did you disable Atmos in Apple Music settings? In my experience, Atmos-rendered music doesn't sound good into a standard 2 channel playback.
  14. DimitryZ

I can report that in Qobuz and Tidal the iPad's volume rocker is disabled. This strongly suggests bit-perfect - IOS equivalent to Windows WASAPI connection.
  15. DimitryZ

Good observation. I set the volume to max on the iPad and the setup triggers MQA recognition on Gustard X16, suggesting bit-perfect. I will lower the volume and see if above changes.
  16. DimitryZ

Carver Crimson 275 Review (Tube Amp)

I have Emotiva XPA-2 gen 2 pair, switched to mono. My Canaries were an early version the company made for Western Electric to show off their then new 300B tubes, under "Gotham" label. WE never went ahead with these amps for actual production, so a few pairs sold at ~$4-5K in early naughts...
  17. DimitryZ

My last tube amp was an earlier version of this Canary Audio: https://www.canaryaudio.com/M600.html It was well made, very heavy, and produced ~40w of 300B PP power. However, it wasn't quite enough for Eminent Technology 8Bs.
  18. DimitryZ

Tidal reportedly enabling bit-perfect playback to USB DAC on Android

This may mean the IFI is upsampling the MQA decoded data to the original master file sampling rate. That step isn't very meaningful, but it's nice to know the system is working.
  19. DimitryZ

I was always impressed with the size of Silver 7 transformers! And was surprised to find out a version is still available: https://www.bobcarvercorp.com/silver-seven At least the weight is reassuring.
  20. DimitryZ

I have owned an amazing hifi system at $50k. I happily traded it for a $15k system that both sounded great and measured great. Now I listen to more music.
Top Bottom