Search results

1. DVDdoug

Suddenly noticing sibilance

Turn down the highs/treble. ;) Maybe the EZ/tone controls were adjusted differently with the old setup. That's good and what I would expect! The electronics shouldn't alter the sound unless you are using EQ or something. People say lots of things. There's no excuse for an amplifier (or...
  2. DVDdoug

Looking for a consensus on Wiim Pro Plus and DACs

People say a lot of things. MOST of what you read in the "audiophile community" is nonsense. ;) This is one of the few rational-scientific audio-related websites. Personally, I've NEVER heard a difference or defect from a DAC, including the one built into the 1st CD player I bought in 1985...
  3. DVDdoug

Most beautiful speakers in the world ?

We have another Most Beautiful Speakers In The World thread. ;) ...With a couple-thousand "nominations".
  4. DVDdoug

Trying to hook up my iloud micros to my Audio technica LP3 -- problem

You're probably getting mechanical/vibrational feedback from the speakers back into the turntable. Try moving the speakers off of the desk.
  5. DVDdoug

Audio Technica ATLP 120XUSB

With powered speakers you (probably) won't have a handy volume control and there's no way to plug-in multiple devices. Some active "computer speakers" do have handy volume control knobs, but still usually only one input. A receiver or AVR with passive speakers is more flexible, but it will...
  6. DVDdoug

Turntables on Amazon Prime Day?

It looks compatible to me.
  7. DVDdoug

When does it make sense to place preamp between components?

That shouldn't be happening. The class of the amplifier shouldn't affect frequency response. The class is mostly related to electrical efficiency. Class-A was the 1st, most inefficient design and it could be built cheaper in the old days because you only need 1 tube or transistor in the...
  8. DVDdoug

Are room acoustics better on smaller speakers?

"Regular" acoustic treatment doesn't do much for the bass. It can absorb other frequencies and make the bass stand-out more. You can get bass traps to reduce the reflected bass and that smooths-out the bumps and the dips. But if you feel like you're hearing too much "room" (like if you...
  9. DVDdoug

The "speed" of ("deeper") bass frequencies in car interiors

I don't know what causes the perception but it's not really "speed" or delay. You can't hear a distinct echo with a delay of less than 40 or 50 milliseconds. At the speed of sound that's 40 or 50 feet. And with low frequencies, I think you need a longer delay before you hear it.
  10. DVDdoug

Is there any budget DAC for DSD1024?

Blind ABX tests can be VERY humbling. ;) Most audiophiles would be surprised how hard is to hear the difference between a high resolution (or DSD) original and a good-quality MP3 made from that file! ...If they can reliably hear a difference at all. It's more unlikely to hear a difference...
  11. DVDdoug

SMSL DO100, Unit to unit variation?

Nobody knows what those words mean. ;) You can have distortion, noise, and frequency response errors... That's pretty much it with electronics. You could get distortion if the digital stream is isn't really "bit perfect" and the digital is boosted & clipped. Otherwise you're not going...
  12. DVDdoug

Can 176.4kHz be beneficial after all? (humans' hearing latency limits)

"Some people" make lots of claims. Perhaps. But most people can't hear the difference between high-resolution audio and a copy down-sampled to "CD quality" in a proper, scientific, blind, ABX Test. Often, people can't hear the difference between high-resolution and a good quality MP3 (in a...
  13. DVDdoug

Bridge

I didn't find much on the Internet about that amplifier, but from what I found, it's mono. You can't bridge a mono amplifier. ...Except some amplifiers are built as bridge amps (two opposing "hot" signals to the speaker with no ground to the speaker). You CAN have a stereo amp with two...
  14. DVDdoug

Sony AN1000

Don't believe what you read!!! ;) Most modern electronics doesn't have a "sound" (without EQ, etc.) except there is always some noise (hum, hiss or whine in the background) and sometimes it's audible, depending the gain, the sensitivity of your speakers, how close you are to the speakers, and...
  15. DVDdoug

I found out how to make the strongest subwoofer sound

Pink Sabbith? :p ...My home theater system has a pair of DIY 15-inch subs.
  16. DVDdoug

DTS issue a concern if connecting a CD/DVD player to a stereo receiver via RCA vs Optical?

DTS CDs are an oddball format and you are unlikely to accidently run-across one. I've never seen one. From what I understand, it's encoded in a way that the 2 most significant bits are not used (zeros) and that would limit the peaks to -12dB and the un-decoded "noise" shouldn't damage...
  17. DVDdoug

Multi-digital input -> 5.1 system digitally controlled?

Without pushing a button or using a remote control? You'd need a mixer, but mixers are for analog (some have one USB input/output) and a mixer with lots if input channels and more than 2-channel stereo output is an expensive professional piece of equipment (and rather large). Most 5.1 digital...
  18. DVDdoug

Possible to increase RCA output?

What's wrong with that? Usually a volume control is an attenuator so it doesn't make sense to add additional amplification and then attenuate.
  19. DVDdoug

‘Aphex exciter’ effect: the hidden “holy grail” of audiophilism?

It's a studio effect and anything goes in the creative process. It might have helped with otherwise 'dull sounding records" which were far too common. Or maybe the producers using it were paying more attention to sound quality than most. There were some good sounding records so my impression...
  20. DVDdoug

Omnitronic MM-2 USB measurement mic vs UMIK-1 & UMM-6

That's not generally true. A USB mic should have insignificant distortion until the built-in ADC clips at 0dBFS. With a studio condenser, usually it's the built-in head-amp that clips and some have a "pad" switch to optionally knock-down the signal into the head amp. It may "soft clip"...
Top Bottom